“Watch my form” P-40N-15 A29-572, 78 Sqn. RAAF - Completed

trickyrich

…..and that’s it and she’s done!!!

IMG_3527-XL.jpg

A final few dramas, realized this morning that the white leading lead should have finished before gear bulges!!! Some frantic re-masking and painting needed there!!   But that was it, just needed to finish the final details and she was finished. 

I can’t believe just how quick this build was, a testament to just how nice this model was. It’s a bit sad to think that the P-40N is just not available any more as I would have loved to have been able to built another one.

Plus I found this awesome Youtube clip which shows this aircraft (closeups @ 10:25) and other aircraft of 78 Sqn.

Thanks for following and the nice comments, as usual different photos will be available in the gallery and RFI sections.

IMG_3534-XL.jpg

IMG_3551-XL.jpg

IMG_3553-XL.jpg

IMG_3549-XL.jpg

IMG_3547-XL.jpg

IMG_3546-XL.jpg

IMG_3538-XL.jpg

IMG_3503-XL.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

IMG_3553-XL.jpg

Those "Swiss cheese" holes on the right above the prop blade are what I was talking about before- you can see some depth behind them.  No idea what one would see if you put your eyeball to a real one, but in these photos it looks a whole lot more real than recesses with flat black inside.

Does this mean you'll be able to take it to the contest?

Congratulations- lovely build, and the fastest a P-40 ever went!

p.s. In your Gallery post you say it is "Eduard 1/48 P-40N"

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Those "Swiss cheese" holes on the right above the prop blade are what I was talking about before- you can see some depth behind them.  No idea what one would see if you put your eyeball to a real one, but in these photos it looks a whole lot more real than recesses with flat black inside.

Does this mean you'll be able to take it to the contest?

Congratulations- lovely build, and the fastest a P-40 ever went!

p.s. In your Gallery post you say it is "Eduard 1/48 P-40N"

thanks Bob

I drilled them out as they did look a bit flat, it does make a big difference.

yes she's off to the Sydney Scale Model Show tomorrow with a few others, will be interesting to see how they all go, I've only ever shown them at my club meetings.

Opps I'd better go correct, don't worry in the first set of photo I took and corrected I forgot to fit the canopy!

• Like 2

it surprised me how quick she went together!!

i hope so, I would like another one.

If you get a chance you should check out the video as well, there's some awesome shots of Kittyhawks in action plus a couple of Beaufighter's flat out on the deck!! Have decided that's the next build, a DAP Beaufighter, I have a 1/48th Tamiya beauty already, just need some Ventura decals........and a few extras of course!  :D

Fantastic rich!

I've got 1:48 hasegawa with extras and Aussie markings but can't bring my self to make it. 

Hopefully hasegawa re release or Eduard give the late model p40s, the mustang/spitfire/bf109, treatment. 

She will fabulous with all your other Australian aircraft, top stuff!

All the best

Joss

• Thanks 1

Excellent build Rich. That's going to be hard to beat.  At least we will have an Aussie and Kiwi build in this GB. If I get to the Mk.II it will be an Aussie one as well, so I will have one of each like my daughters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Excellent build Rich. That's going to be hard to beat.  At least we will have an Aussie and Kiwi build in this GB. If I get to the Mk.II it will be an Aussie one as well, so I will have one of each like my daughters. 

thanks, I just wish I could find another one, would love to add a Kittyhawk III to the collection......then of course I'd have to add a Kittyhawk IA as well!! :D

thanks everyone, I'm super happy with how she came out.

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

What about the weekend, Rich- surely you didn't come home empty-handed?  It isn't bragging if you're just answering a direct question!

I was thinking about putting something up, but since you asked. :D

She didn't get anything in her class (got done by those rotten Wing Nut Wing buggers again), though my Sea Fury took 3rd and Best Large Aircraft in Show.

She did manage though to take out Best Australian Subject in show which was really nice.

Plus I also got a 2nd and 3rd for medium Scale Jets (1/48th) for an F-14D and F-16CJ (in Tiger Meet scheme) respectively.

So to get 5 awards for 6 entries I'm super chuffed about that

• Like 1

Very good build for this Rich. Especially as you did it in such a quick time. 

Well done for the award. The F14D presumably is the one from last year's GB?  In which case well deserved too.

Colin 

• Thanks 1

@Colin W thanks, I was very surprised too just how quickly she want together, a highly recommend model......just a pity you can't get them anymore.

The F-14 was it's first comp showing, another model I'd so love to build again!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, bobster said:

Really, Really impressive. The finish and detailing are superb! 👍 

The finish looks just on the right side of worn, but not overdone.

thanks, I was super happy with how she came out.

These aircraft while being heavily used were kept in good condition. Though I have seen photos (and video) of this actual aircraft looking a bit more battered than mine.

• 2 weeks later...