Hawker Typhoon Roundel size query

Landslide02

Hello,

I am building the Airfix Typhoon. I have a query about the upper wing roundels. The decals scale out to match a 50 inch size roundel. To me this looks too big and it overlaps the edge of the leading edge wing lamp. Wikipedia indicates a 42 inch roundel was used as an exception to the standard on the Typhoon up to January 1945, and then all 2nd TAF aircraft were changed as detailed below:

“Type A.1: FromJune 1940: Single and twin engine fighters, light and medium bombers 35 inches. Exceptions: Hawker Typhoon 42 inches, Westland Whirlwind 28 inches. Heavy bombers, transport aircraft 49 inches.”

However the same article also says “January 1945 to June 1947: On all 2nd TAF aircraft,  Type B upper wing roundels were either converted to 55 inches (140 cm) type C1 roundels or over-painted and 36 inches (91 cm) type C1 roundels painted on. “

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

A 55” roundel would be even bigger than the decals supplied in the kit! 58mm in 24th scale.

My guess is that the 36 roundel might actually be the best bet, but there seems to be some confusing information out there. That scales out at 38mm in 24th scale. Much smaller than the 53mm kit version.

Both card door and bubble kits have the same size decals. This size is repeated in the Eagle Cal decal sets too.

Nowhere can I see info which says that a Typhoon carried a standard 50 inch roundel.

Surely they can’t all be wrong?

Edited by Landslide02
Typo

2 hours ago, Landslide02 said:

The decals scale out to match a 50 inch size roundel. To me this looks too big

it's not

Nowhere can I see info which says that a Typhoon carried a standard 50 inch roundel.

here, look closely at measurement on port wing roundel

Hawker%20Tornado,%20Typhoon%20&%20Tempes

from this,

Hawker%20Tornado,%20Typhoon%20&%20Tempes

scanned here,  still a very good reference, even though old.

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/04-Hawker-Tornado-Typhoon

note the formula for upper wing roundel placement is roundel centre  is 1/3rd span in from tip

Typhoon, 42 foot span, from centreline 21 ft, ie 252 inch, /3 = 84 inch. 

Note measurement on diagram.  the size was then worked out as leaving a 2 gap between leading and trailing edges IIRC

smaller upperwing roundels were seen in the 2nd TAF when the C1 upperwings came in

“Type A.1: FromJune 1940: Single and twin engine fighters, light and medium bombers 35 inches. Exceptions: Hawker Typhoon 42 inches, 

A1 = underwing

HTH

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Landslide02 said:

I am still concerned as to how the kit roundel protrudes over the wing lamp. I’m sure that’s not right

?  don't know... check the placement as shown above? 

just as I know where to find it....

5440709011_17c7cb4d7e_o.jpgHawker Typhoon 1b. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

does this not have a starboard wing roundel?  Note also the factory finish in the cannon barrel covers.

earlier use below

6803622470_370c141c8e_o.jpgHawker Typhoon by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

more period Typhoon colour here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=typhoon

which careful study will show lots of useful details.

HTH

Typhoon upper wing:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.172673380.6125513

ground crew inspect Hawker Typhoon Mark IB, MN659 'I8-E', of No. 440 Squadron RCAF, which suffered a collapsed undercarriage on landing after a sortie.

It's not easy to find good pictures of a Typhoon's upper wing.

Chris

• Like 1

Just did a quick measure. Based on your figures, Troy, I think the centre of the roundel scales out at 88mm from the wing tip - which is exactly where I’ve got it 🙄

My concern over the wing lamp turns out to be spurious. I have fitted the blanking plate used on rocket Typhoons.

Checking the clear plastic part for the wing lamp, I now see that were it fitted, the portion that the roundel covers would not be transparent once painted.

So all is well! Thank you for your help Troy!

• Like 1