Scratch build 1/8 porsche 904

kpnuts

Hi all well move went well new job is going well and I have negotiated a modelling area (well when we don't have guests that is) so gulp I've jumped in to try this scratch build, ive managed to find some profile drawings of the body so I've copied them onto paper and glued it to this ply wood.

IMG-20190818-44677.jpg
IMG-20190818-49816.jpg
IMG-20190818-57636.jpg

I'm hoping to make a former from this as a rough starting point. I'm expecting this to be  a long build, somewhere between 3 and 60 years (but that's just an approximate guess could be much longer ;)

• Like 4

Well first lesson learned I tried to made a cylinder head and bought card stock of the correct thickness and cut out 15 cylinder bits and 17 fins then glued them together after which they should have measured 10.25 mm well after gluing 10 of the fins together it measured 13 mm so I thought I will compress them in my vice trouble with that was it compressed the cylinder bits but not the fins and ended up looking like this

IMG-20190824-26153.jpg
IMG-20190824-1853.jpg
IMG-20190824-45436.jpg
IMG-20190824-34581.jpg

Instead of how it should look. I can only assume the extra thickness was due to the glue so I think I will have to experiment with different thicknesses.

• Like 2

Maybe you can instead use stripes of sheetmetal ("shims") for this? Paper isn't a very good material to work with in my book as it is affected by humidity and temperature just like wood.

If you keep pushing try without glueing but instead build the stack on two pins to allign them. Then only glue the top and bottom pieces or find another way to fix them.

hth

Jan

• Like 2