SMOKE GRENADES

Badder

I'm in a bit of a rush to finish building and painting my Tiger for the Tiger GB, and I'm about to construct the smoke grenade launchers that fit on the turret.

In all the period photos I've seen, the launcher 'pots' are empty.  But I did find one photo, here on BM, of a model Tiger where the pots are loaded with grenades. The builder had turned the grenade launcher 'pots' around so that the bottoms of the pots faced outwards, and these were painted red to look like grenades in-situ. Now, I doubt the 'heads' of grenades would have been painted red, but I did like the look of the pots being loaded up rather than empty.

So, my question is, does anyone have any photos of ACTUAL Tigers with the grenade launchers loaded up, or know what colour the grenades were?

Hoping for some quick responses so I can crack on!

Badder

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure those are quite right.  The launcher and grenades both had an electric contact in the base by which means they were fired, and the grenade needed an ejecting charge.  So immediate smoke initiation would not have worked.  Neither would the pull-ring shown.

It seems that the AFV version used the same grenade casing but fitted with a different initiator tube providing both ejection and initiation delay.  The original manual image "smoke grenade with accessories" below seems to confirm this.  Note that the picture shows the bottom of the grenade.  Which raises the question as to whether it still had the D handle on top as seen above.  Never seen AFAIK on models or on any of the kit or after-market parts (e.g. Voyager).  Most (all?) just have a central dimple, which is of course at the bottom.

qS65fxs.jpg