What might have been - TSR2

A little outside of my usual timeframe of models, the TSR2 is a bit special.  I first saw one at Duxford about a year after she arrived and my dad filled me in as to what she was.  I took this photo in about 1978 I think and she stuck in my memory.

WkVMhBYOlNKIlZFZPFq7CVXWTQt9ISy5WHMlmDbT

She is XR222, a never completed pre production model.  Only XR219 flew, and the only other survivor is XR220at Cosford.  So when a 1/48 Contrails vacform came up at a good price I thought I would give it a go.  I hadn’t built a vacform before but it would give me some practise in case I wanted to build another vacform in the future

1wPhBDraMVifR2PmsjNOYtOoNOj3JroCjbR17IRn

So here she is.  Not perfect by any means and I left some of the kit inaccuracies, but had a go at fixing others.  The intakes, for example, got a complete rebuild.

GfDiQ7JwBQ6MndWpUmGOopAcur6r6CnDUxir-oc3

VIu01CIi9LFTRkgr6y6qTUTU7HczVRa4JPTWfRqC

The back end got a rebuild, with new jet pipes built in to shape around

KlgjvK5C080uM4xgAe4XhUEMfp3WGVpAOv4msYs6

There was no cockpit so that was scratch built with resin seats.  The vacform canopy was cut to pose the canopies open

omWZTZ_zfVAK7LvareOvVCC_oEL9vFxGenV0cupF

The jet pipes extend through the body and the main wheel wells and bomb bay are built around them from scratch

yvF9iP9lWTxD1-BOoq3JZMx_vYDnEC9ch1RGAv6d

The undercarriage had a totally rebuild with only the wheels surviving from the kit

1jPtpYHTZrLrawo5EQiOTJs9zAcCzvWqNGIsWsAs

-bkwHWgY09ksMnYDtkLHorXYMeZGCcDyCnebUcZ6

So so that’s her done.  Not perfect but I enjoyed the build.  Thanks for looking

The build thread is here

Edited by bar side
  • Like 46

Amazing results from a vacform kit!  The only vacuform I ever tried my hand at was a huge model of the Hindenburg dirigible.  I got as far as gluing the two fuselage half together, but never got a clean seam between the two and never even tried installing the gondola or engines.  

• Like 1

Cheers guys - thanks for the kind comments.  Am I a bit odd if I say I might have enjoyed the vacform & scratch building a bit more than a normal kit?  Kind of keeping an eye out for another vacform kit now

On 18/08/2019 at 22:07, stevej60 said:

Anyone brave enough to tackle a vacform has my admiration and that's a cracking example.

Exactly my feelings - and I am definitely none of those 😪

• Like 2