1/35 Academy M3 Honey

For a while now I have been messing about with 1/48 scale armour but felt like I need a change of pace.  I have always had a soft spot for the M3 Stuart.  Like the Panzer III it just screams 'Tank' to me.  The local shop had the Academy kit on sale so it seemed a logical choice.  

So far I'm two weekends in and the basic construction is done.  If I didn't build the individual links I'd have been done in one.  :)  Not too sure the individual links are really worth it as the rubber band tracks look pretty darn good.  I have done a few little additions and I have some stowage planed but I should be getting to the paint booth soon.  I have some Star aftermarket decals that I want to have a go with.  The colour will be a basic light stone finish with Australian desert markings.  I don't plan much wear either just a lot of dust and sand.  A small base and a figure are future additions that should make this a quick and simple build.  Here's where I'm at right now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 9

Nice tidy build. Did one of these a few years back. Look forward to see how you tackle the painting and weathering. Its a nice kit and Airfix have just re-released it.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks guys. :) 

The strap is three layers of blue painters masking tape sealed with very thin superglue and a buckle faked from flattened very thin lead wire.  

Does anyone know if these came in OD from the US and then painted Light Stone?  Just wondering how far I can go in weathering the paint before I get a cartoon.    Thanks for any advice given.

Dan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScanmanDan said:

The strap is three layers of blue painters masking tape sealed with very thin superglue and a buckle faked from flattened very thin lead wire. 

Thanks. I shall try that  - afraid I don't know the answer to your question though.

1 hour ago, ScanmanDan said:

Does anyone know if these came in OD from the US and then painted Light Stone?  Just wondering how far I can go in weathering the paint before I get a cartoon.    Thanks for any advice given.

From photos I've seen, all the US stuff arrived in OD and were painted in local theatre schemes.  That is looking very nice.

Most of the afternoon zipped away doing that last bits to get ready for primer.  I've done my mix of Tamiya for the light Stone, so here goes.

Before the paint booth.

spacer.png

spacer.png

We'll see how I go.  I've got my fingers crossed. :)

Dan

• Like 5

Ok more questions! Those weld seams on the turret (is that what they are?) How did you make them? It looks like embossed foil or something? Whatever it is, you’ve really given this character - I’m often happiest with my builds at this stage. Almost seems a shame to paint!

Jon - This is the silver texture paste I used for the weld beads.  The nozzle is about 0.03mm so nice and small beads are pretty easy.  The paste cleans up with water and holds its shape pretty well.  Works okay and is very fast and easy.  Comes in a lot of colours too :) .

spacer.png

Tonights progress;

spacer.png

spacer.png

A couple of washes in oils and some pin washes in Humbrol.  A few chips here and there.  The Star decals are okay but I'm not very good at getting the film to disappear, sigh.  I hate decals :(   Just not good at em.  More work on the tracks and wheels plus painting more details tomorrow.  Having fun and that's the main thing.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I like stretched sprue and a pyrogravure for welds, but the effect here is really good.  The factory welding I've seen on preserved US tanks is generally very neat and smooth.  I picked up some "3D paint" in a craft shop somewhere thinking it might be useful for something.  Haven't used it yet, but I might experiment with that for weld beads.  Etched brass welds don't feel right and must be a pain to stick down neatly, as well as being too square-edged.  I'm not sure I'd trust the longevity of resin-printed weld decals like those from Archer.

As for paint, noting that it's a bit late now, M3 Lights delivered direct to theatre would certainly have been in OD and repainted there.  The lower hull area under the sponsons behind the bogies was often not re-painted and there are photos of assorted US-supplied tanks where the wheels and sprockets were only part-painted with the areas shielded by bogie arms and sand shields still left in OD, presumably not bothering to move the tank to finish the painting.  OD areas were sometimes left unpainted as the camouflage contrast colour.  Any tanks shipped via the UK might have been repainted to a better standard before being shipped out.

The UK apparently didn't specify a colour for US-supplied cash-and-carry tanks so US standard OD was used, despite the fact that a desert colour might have made sense for at least some.  And once Lend-Lease came in OD became standardised.

3 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

I hate decals :(   Just not good at em.

I know that this may be asking the bl***ing obvious, but do you coat the model with gloss varnish before applying the decals?

Peter is right about the OD being left as it was on the lower hull. Years ago Steve Zaloga did an article in MM where he built a desert Sherman ll and he made a point about the lower hull being OD.

John.

Hi John -   Yes I did gloss first and silvering wasn't a problem.  It's more hiding the thickness of the decal and stopping the step caused by applying them show though the weathering.  I did shoot a thin coat of gloss to seal the decals but it didn't make too much difference.  I hope to be able to hide the texture in the weathering.  :( 

Got a bit of time to mess about this afternoon, progress but not much.  I'm working on the hull bottom too but it looks a mess right now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Im not going to do any real attempt to do an OD lower hull on this one but I think it would make an outstanding and stunning looking model.  I want to keep it simple and keep moving lest I get distracted.  I hope you enjoy.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Well a month wasted...  I just could not get any figures for not look awful.   I messed about for weeks and in the end said to myself, just get on with it.  

So, on to making a little base.  Here's where I'm at right now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Usual construction.  Namely a wooden box from a craft shop topped with a rim of 2.5mm square Evergreen strip painted black with rubber feet.  Then some cheap hardware store epoxy putty groundwork covered by a mix of broken plaster rocks, grout & sand + scatter materials with added bit o' bobbins to taste.

Here's a few pics with the Honey as is.

spacer.png

spacer.png  

I've still more to do but this last pic is close to what I had in my minds eye when I started and to me that's a successful build.  :) 

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 5

Looking pretty darn good from over here.

The base really makes it, must try one someday.

I do like the worn and nicely weathered finish you've achieved on the paintwork.

Great job.

Darryl