The original Airfix Phantom

The Original Airfix Phantom

IMG_2799

This kit was such a big part of my modelling history that I thought I would build one as Airfix had originally intended. However, I couldn’t resist sorting a few things out – such as the canopy and radome and IR seeker shapes and replacement seats. I also filled the huge control surface gaps and rescribed them. Original decals were used for squadron markings and numbers (note the yellowing!). Airfix got the VF-74 red arrow marking wrong on the fuselage top and I also put that right. Overall though it took me back to around 1970.

IMG_2800

IMG_2801

IMG_2802

IMG_2803

I also have the very one I built in 1970, now in it’s nth set of markings for a US Marines aircraft :

IMG_2795

IMG_2794

• Like 48

Back for another look, not the last either, I'll be looking in on the PC with it's bigger screen when I get home. BTW, it was the VF-74 bird I was referring to above though the VMFA-53 scheme is well smart too.

Steve.

Great results and proof the old kits can be built into nice looking models. Hats off to Airfix for accurately capturing the outline of the Phantom way back in 1965. Looks like a good kit. By the way, to remove the yellowing, tape the decal sheet to a window facing the sun for a day or two. It really does work - I've done it several times. These old kits bring back good memories!

Edited by Hobo

Fantastic job Chris.  Talk about a walk down memory lane!

I remember buying that original model from Woolworths in the mid to late '60's and being amazed at the amount and quality of the transfers. Nothing like the old Spits etc that I was buying at the time.

Of course the Forrestal was the ship that was to suffer such a horrific accident whilst on active service in Vietnam which I remember happening at the time. 

Lovely to see the old model in its original finery again. 

Thanks for posting. 

Beautiful pair of Phantoms.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, CT Modeller said:

I also have the very one I built in 1970, now in it’s nth set of markings for a US Marines aircraft :

IMG_2795

Did I read correctly? The ninth? Did you repaint every time?

On 8/18/2019 at 10:45 AM, bhouse said:

Just goes to show that it's the modeller, not the model, that produces great results.

Amen

Jay

23 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Beautiful pair of Phantoms.

Did I read correctly? The ninth? Did you repaint every time?

Amen

Jay

No, not the ninth...the N th...meaning I don't know how many times I changed the schemes but it was more than twice!

• Like 1