Airfix 1:48 Spitfire Mk.Vb

This aircraft was flown by Pilot Officer Robert W. “Buck” McNair D.S.O., D.F.C (2 Bars)(RCAF). No. 249 (Gold Coast) Sqn. at Ta’ Qali, Malta, Mar. 1942. http://acesofww2.com/can/aces/mcnair/

This is the newest Airfix boxing with all the issues that everyone else has posted about: fuel tank covering, landing gear, extreme tight fit of some parts, etc. For the fuel tank, I removed the locating tabs and sanded the bottom of the part. Within minutes I got it to a “close enough for me and it won’t get any better fit”. When the fuselage and innards were together I found that the instrument panel interfered with the fuel tank cover so I sanded down the top of the I.P. and reamed the bejaysus out of the inside of the fuel tank cover until I got a good fit. For the landing gear I drilled holes in the corresponding parts, inserted some stiff wire and CA’d it all together for a very strong bond. One of the things Airfix got wrong or at least I think they got wrong is the exhaust type for my option. They would have you use the exhaust with the heater tubes at the rear but looking at the photo of the actual aircraft, I can’t see it. I found another Spitfire photo with the aircraft positioned identically and the tube is clearly seen. No other online builds mention this. All painting was done with Tamiya. The innards were painted XF-71 Cockpit Green and XF-69 Nato Black. The upper camo was done with XF-54 Dark Sea Grey, for the Dk. Earth I used a 50/50 mix of XF-64 Red Brown and XF-52 Flat Earth. The lower surface was done with XF-19 Sky Grey

blackadder57_190818_5d58d154d04fd.jpg?v=

blackadder57_190818_5d58d154e626a.jpg?16

blackadder57_190818_5d58d155041a1.jpg?10

blackadder57_190818_5d58d1551615b.jpg?18

blackadder57_190818_5d58d15528dce.jpg?19

blackadder57_190818_5d58d1553a1f6.jpg?18

Edited by fubar57
Freakin negative typo
  • Like 31

Thank you gentlemen. The aircraft landed in Malta in the standard desert scheme of Dk. Earth and Middle Stone over, according to one book, Sky Grey. The Middle Stone was painted over with (enter your favourite controversial colour here) as it stuck out too much when flying over water. I have a photo of the aircraft and it is quite weathered. Until my skills improve, I figure it had to look cleanish in the beginning. One thing I tried to replicate (badly), was the over-spray of the DSG slightly over the bottom colour. As it shows, I think, that no care was given to mask off the bottom colour for applying the DSG, I don’t think they would be too concerned about having the over-spray encroaching on the Dk. Earth. Just my thoughts 

7 hours ago, fubar57 said:

I have a photo of the aircraft and it is quite weathered. Until my skills improve, I figure it had to look cleanish in the beginning.

Try using ground chalk pastels,  they are forgiving, and if it goes wrong, can be wiped off with a damp cloth. 

They don't need sealing as long as you don't handle the model,  you can get some subtle effects,  and helps tie decal in with the general finish, scrubbed over the airframe. 

I found that a wash of oil paint (over Kleer) diluted just with lighter fuel (the Zippo type) using a dark brown grey added a pleasing shadow to panel lines, as well as subtle modulation of the paint finish. You can also use oil paint for oil stains, and adjust with lighter fuel

pics and descriptions here of these techniques,  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

As it's only blinkin' model I have completed in a long time, but i was pleased with the techniques I used, and it was the first time I'd tried them too. 

Less is more is good maxim, and careful observation of the real thing, how the plane weathers, how stains develop. 

trying to give you some 'positive waves, man'  (if this baffles anybody.....

Neat crisp build.  :goodjob:

• Like 1

Thanks Troy and good job on the Hurricane. I do have ground up chalk in shades of grey, brown and black. My daughters ground it up for me because I can't stand the feel of chalk

• Like 1