Aurora/Atlantis 1/72 Cheyanne re-issue

Neil Lambess

Excellent news. Will be curious what price they pitch it at -  on the one hand unusual subject, on the other if it's a straight reissue then it's a very basic kit by today's standards.... guess we will find out next year if Atlantis  FB page is accurate.

14 hours ago, IanHx said:

Excellent news. Will be curious what price they pitch it at -  on the one hand unusual subject, on the other if it's a straight reissue then it's a very basic kit by today's standards.... guess we will find out next year if Atlantis  FB page is accurate.

Jumblies Models have the models available for sale and pre order. I'd hazard a guess it's going to priced on a par with the B-52 and Martin Seamaster

Alan

Great to see this one out again. I was given one in a rather battered box at Telford back in 2010 and built it (with a fair bit of scratch building and Anigrand decals) for the now defunct Model Aviation World magazine. Well worth getting if you're up for a bit of work and a lot cheaper than the Anigrand offering.

1-P1070837.jpg

2-P1070840.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great to see this one out again. I was given one in a rather battered box at Telford back in 2010 and built it (with a fair bit of scratch building and Anigrand decals) for the now defunct Model Aviation World magazine. Well worth getting if you're up for a bit of work and a lot cheaper than the Anigrand offering.

1-P1070837.jpg

2-P1070840.jpg

Nice....  belly turret and rocket pods scratch-built ?    ( don't remember them in the kit box )

Thanks Ian, for reference I used the excellent Warbird Tech Volume 27 book, which is a 'must have' for anyone modelling a Cheyenne.

1-P1070810-002.jpg

I added scratch pylons, XM-52 30mm cannon belly turret, (carved from resin), new XM-196 nose mounted minigun and FFAR rocket pods (from spares bin), reworked the crew members, scratch built a new cockpit interior, replaced the exhaust pipe with copper tube, new resin wheels and replaced parts of the ICS gyro rotor mechanism with plastic rod and strip. Sounds a lot but not really that bad, the kit's basically provides a sound basis.

1-8.jpg

I digress but it is always worth following the Atlantis Models FB page as they are always posting interesting images such as the one below. That said they are coy about their full extent of their mould inventory - I assume because some of the moulds have not been used for a very long time and they don't know if they are still useable.

414280457.jpg

Tommo.

2 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I digress but it is always worth following the Atlantis Models FB page as they are always posting interesting images such as the one below. That said they are coy about their full extent of their mould inventory - I assume because some of the moulds have not been used for a very long time and they don't know if they are still useable.

414280457.jpg

Tommo.

1/79th (?) Scale F-89 Scorpion

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h221-89-northrop-f-89d-scorpion--194122

Build review with pictures

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/us/usaf/89d.htm

Edited by VMA131Marine

It's a strange occurrence with the Cheyenne moulds just turning up, i too have been told from the age of being a nipper that the molds had gone into a bog when the train transporting tooling to monogram after the aurora buyout derailed/crashed, my father owned a aurora Cheyenne and he would periodically take it out of his collection and retell me the story, mind you how many years were we all led to believe the revell 1/48th Wessex tooling was lost and kits were changing hand for £75-£90 on a well known auction site, lets cross our fingers and hope the airfix sam-2 turns up again one day .  

12 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I very much doubt it. They have bought the moulds for stuff which has not been kitted for many years.

It depends on one's definition of not being available for a long time. The quarter scale Scorpion has not been popped for 20 years however in the same time the 'Invaders' UFO has appeared twice. That said I agree with you it is doubtful they have that particular mould. The only thing Atlantis has revealed about their moulds (other than what they have already announced for release) is the don't have any Apollo kits, as those went to RoG. Which suggests to me they may have all the other Revell/Monogram space sci-fi kits, I guess we will all have to wait and see what they do have.

Tommo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1