He 280 my next model in my early jets project.

This is He 280 my next model in my early jets project. This was the  Heinkel companies second development jet. The head designer was Robert Lusser, who began the project under the designation He 180 in late 1939.

The type was then demonstrated to Ernst Udet, head of RLM's development wing, but like its predecessor, it apparently failed to make an impression.

The aircraft was slower and generally less efficient than the Me 262 and was cancelled on the 27 Marc h 1943

The He 280 was equipped with a compressed-air powered ejection seat, the first aircraft to carry one and the first aircraft to successfully employ one in an emergency

This is my model of it in 1/48 scale. It is the Eduards Pro kit. This is one of their earlier moulds and suffers from bad engine, tail and not so good wing fit. It needed quite a lot of filler

to get it to this point. 

I haven't weathered it much because it is a prototype aircraft and wasn't flown a great deal before it crashed. 

He 280 image1

He 280 image2

He 280 image4

He 280 image3

• Like 26

Lovely job on what you say is probably closer to a short run kit. You’ve captured the smooth lines of this shapely aircraft really well with a nice neat paint job. I reckon this would look great parked next to a tail wheel sitting 262 and early Komet - all smartly dressed in RLM02. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That‘s a fine model, Greg. The He 280 looks handsome like many of the early jets, particularly in this smooth and clean attire. Also because it was a very rare (if not the only) jet with twin rudders.

More please!

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. The next one for the project is a Gloster E.28/39 'Whittle. Followed by the He 178 V1.

Most likely followed by a Meteor F.1 V.1 or a Airacomet. 

I would like to do a Me 262 tail dragger. It will mean moving the main gear forward which will be a big job. 

I would like to do a first Vampire as well. The one available has it's wings moulded up side down I believe.

How on earth could they do that. I think it is by Hobbycraft. Also the Trumpeter ones are just too wrong all round.

Other jets planned are the Ar 234, Me 163, Meteor F.3, He 162 and the F-80 Shooting star. As you can see

this is a big project which will fit around other on going builds. At the moment I have all , but the Me 163

in kit form in 1/48 scale. I'm hoping I will have the Me 163 shortly. 

I also have the German flying wing in 1/72 scale. 

So that's the plan wish me luck. It will be interesting to see how far I get. 

• Like 2

The He 280 has always been my favourite over Me 262. It has a much more handsome design, in my opinion. A pity that it was slower, not to mention Heinkel being a lesser child for RLM.

You have a great model here of that handsome aircraft, very well finished and paid the effort. Not weathering is a correct choice, too.

I'm sure the array of your early jets when finished will be a real sight.

Edited by SpeedyGonzales
  • Thanks 1

Heinkel was never flavour of the month with the Nazi hierarchy - which hampered some of his projects. Last month's "Aeroplane" had a good article on the development of the early German jets including the He280 and other Heinkel jet projects. It's worth a read.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Greg Law said:

The aircraft was slower and generally less efficient than the Me 262 and was cancelled on the 27 Marc h 1943

As you know, several unfinished He-280s were captured by the USSR. Unlike the Me-262, the He-280 was not tested in flight in the USSR.  But TsAGI made a purge in the wind tunnel and a detailed technical manual of the design, which unfortunately has not yet been fully published. According to what was published, according to TsAGI, the He-280 had a better aerodynamic design than the Me-262 in matters of the fuselage section and the combination of the wing with the fuselage.  However, the He-280 was less technologically advanced than the Me-262 in terms of TsAGI. Also, the disadvantages indicated were irrational internal layout in comparison with the Me-262.

In one of the Russian sources I came up with a mention of an improved He-280 project that had a normal fin and large size, so it should have been better than the Me-262, but this is the only source where I read this.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John R said:

I have been doing the same thing, albeit in 1/72. Have you seen these? I have done a few more since, including a Vampire

That is an excellent collection.  Far more than I plan. They all look really well built.. Interesting to see the Me 262 with the propeller.  I was just looking at that in my new Part one of the Me 262 book series I managed to get. I doubt I will be able to find the Italian one in 1/48. If I could that would be added. 

I wonder if anyone has been able to correct the Vampire with the flipped wings. There must be a way of doing it and get a good result.

Wow, very nice model and interesting subject. My first impression was of how well the restrained weathering works. I really like it. This goes for the general shape of the machine as well, especially the wings.

Jay

• Thanks 1