Panda 1/35 UH-1N Twin Huey --COMPLETE--

Haven't done a large-scale eggbeater in a while, so I thought I'd have a go at the old Panda Twin Huey in its non-gunship boxing. The bird I'm doing served as a combination base utility a/c and in the SAR role, so I don't have to worry about adding (or correcting) all the combat accoutrements; it'll be more or less OOB with a few additions to dress up the cockpit and cabin a bit.

spacer.png

The kit's auxiliary consoles have nice raised relief, but the main panel is flat and featureless with a kit-supplied decal for gauges. I dressed it up with a random assortment of left-over etch bezels and a few decal data plates added. The kit collective parts looked more like levers on a steam-engine, so I added the switch-panels from styrene bits to fancy them up a bit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

To dress up  the rear cabin I added a 'spares' fire extinguisher, plus belts and headphones made up from white-glued tissue, plastic scraps and wire. For SAR equipment I added some spares duffles (left over from a 1/25 police vehicle) and made up a reasonable facsimile of a typical 'Huey' hoist from tubing bits and lead wire. I'll add in a few more duffles and such before 'buttoning up.'

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Adding a few details to the nose 'bubble' areas using copper & lead wire and some home-made decal graphics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Clipping the cockpit door window parts from their sprues to install them before assembling the fuselage, those clear parts proved to be very brittle and susceptible to cracking. Fortunately no 'visible' damage done...but I'll use my micro-saw to remove the rest. (Already done on the windscreen, and everything was fine.) The bad news is that the windscreen itself is a little blurry and could use some buffing and polishing, but I'll have to go easy to avoid pressure hazing.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Small update for non-exciting bits, with work proceeding apace. No 'beauty' shots, but major construction is finished, with installation and masking of clear parts underway. Minor kit alterations included metal screens (actually sections of Eduard etched perforated floor plate, which resembled available photos) added to replace the molded intake grids on the engine cowling shrouds. Also adding details like reinforcement struts (from styrene rod stock) to the roof and underside cable cutters.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The kit's decals--whatever their quality--were designed for a dark-color scheme with all-white letters and numbers supplied, and almost nothing in the way of stencilling or service-markings. Since the aircraft I'm portraying needs fairly straightforward black markings, I was able to lay them out (along with a small cross-section of standard stencilling) in MS-Paint and print them on clear decal paper with my trusty inkjet. (A smaller sheet of interior cabin markings and colored warning labels was printed on a white background.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Should be ready for painting soon.

• Like 3

On to a bit of 'colour.'

First...a touch of primer, in this case Tamiya's fine surface primer spray for a nice smooth finish:

spacer.png

Then...skipping ahead to the more eye-catching bit...out of the 'paint shop':

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next-up...rather obviously...will be decals.

• Like 5

Getting close to the finish, now. Most decals are on, and I'm adding a touch of Flory wash here and there to make the fairly pristine surface 'pop' a bit.

Added the visible-from-outside emergency window latches to the 'barn doors':

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

'Flight line' shots should be up soon. :penguin:

• Like 2

Man... I LOVE the float bottle placard in the nose!

Have checked that a few times that is for certain.

One of our machines was so tail heavy, we had a float bottle filled with sand (un-pressurised) for ballast, when we were flying in the no float season...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Winnie said:

Man... I LOVE the float bottle placard in the nose!

Have checked that a few times that is for certain.

One of our machines was so tail heavy, we had a float bottle filled with sand (un-pressurised) for ballast, when we were flying in the no float season...

Many thanks!

I confess I tend to fixate on cool little details like that, when I see them in photos. (Sometimes it's a real challenge to figure out what they actually are!)

I appreciate the kind words (and the keen eye)!