Real Colours Olive Drab

This is the RC024 Faded Khaki base coat on an 1/72 Italeri Sheman.  (the photo makes it look less brown that it really is). 

DSCN0566

Again, I plan to see how it compares to the usual Tamiya 62 Olive Drab (3 parts) mixed with  59 Desert Yellow (1 part) to see how they look.

Has anyone else been using these AK Real Colours paints at all?

By the way, I use the small scale to get more tanks onto the table for war games, while still trying to make them look as good as possible.

Edited by Jasper779
  • Like 1

Aye up Jasper.

Been using a few of these paints for a while now. I quite like them as they spray nicely with their own thinner and Mr Self Levelling thinner too. I've read that quite a few of these colours are 'off' Especially the British ones (SCC 2 Brown in particular)  but i tend not to worry too much about it to be honest. I find the Faded Olive Drab is good for giving tonal variation to a model.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have heard the same thing as well.

I am the same, so long as they look right to me. lol

German Camo pattern, Dunkel Gelb, RotBraun and OliveGrun, look pretty good, or they will after I have washed them etc.

The Olive Drab, not too sure about.

How do you do your OD?

• Like 1

Aye up Jasper,

I've no set method really. If i use Tamiya XF62 i add a bit of XF15 Flesh to the colour cup (once the base colour is on) and mist it on in a cloudy pattern to lift the colour up a bit. Have used Tamiya XF57 Buff too with decent results. I might also give it a bit of a dry brush with a desert yellow (Vallejo) The weathering also changes the tone. If you have a look at my Sherman Vc in the D Day GB you can see my cack handed method! 

Regards.

Steve

13 minutes ago, Jasper779 said:

I have been looking at your DDay Sherman and the SCC15 looks really good, to my eyes, and that is the Real Colours one that you used.

Lovely weathing, dust and decals mate. I'll get there one day😃

Thanks mate. 

Yes, its Real Colors SCC15, otherwise known as British Olive Drab. Initially used Mig SCC15 which was way too green for my liking! 

I've used a few weathering methods over the years and am always finding new ones! Main thing is to enjoy it.

Regards

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1

One thing that you need to remember is that there is a lot of bovine scatter talked about accurate colours. When a paint manufacturer brings out a new colour, for instance, SCC15 British Olive Drab, it's usually equated to a factory finish on a vehicle, but given that most people model tanks "in service", that colour is going to vary greatly. There's the effects of bright sunlight, crossing muddy rivers, forcing their way through thick, dense undergrowth. All of these things can have a drastic effect on the shade of colour. Unless a paint is so far out from the original, (as Steve has said with the Real Colors SCC15) it can be applied and then once you have weathered it, who's to say that it's wrong?

Just my two centimes worth.

John. 

Edited by Bullbasket
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

One thing that you need to remember is that there is a lot of bovine scatter talked about accurate colours. When a paint manufacturer brings out a new colour, for instance, SCC15 British Olive Drab, it's usually equated to a factory finish on a vehicle, but given that most people model tanks "in service", that colour is going to vary greatly. There's the effects of bright sunlight, crossing muddy rivers, forcing their way through thick, dense undergrowth. All of these things can have a drastic effect on the shade of colour. Unless a paint is so far out from the original, it can be applied and then once you have weathered it, who's to say that it's wrong?

Just my two centimes worth.

John. 

And not to mention the amount of color modulation most people enjoy to use on their models.

• Like 2