Hull colour AS42 Sahariana

Edwin Parks

Hi Guys

I am sitting looking at an Italeri AS42 Sahariana kit in 1/35. All looks great, but I am concerned about the correct hull colour. Italian Yellow?? The instruction sheet seems to assume you leave the hull in the colour of the plastic so gives no clue to its colour. Ive seen it suggested that Vallejo's Dark Yellow is a pretty good start but Id like to know what anybody thinks. It'll have to be a brush job since I haven't yet ventured into airbrush territory.

Also any crew suggestions, I have found an Italian made resin three man kit, but at 42 Euros it would eb more than the kit itself!

Eddie

Looking at my reference library, two publications on the subject (Squadron and Osprey):

Your subject was introduced very late 1942, and if sent to North Africa, it was factory painted Saharian Khaki (approx.FS20260  per author Pignato).   I don't know if any AS42 were stationed in Europe at this initial stage, but if they were, then their finish was in grey green.   Text also refers to sand yellow, but not sure if this is the same as the offered FS value?  By May 1943, most vehicle were leaving the factory in a three colour scheme.  Previous vehicles may have been repainted to match.

Now both Life Color and Sovereign  offer a light and dark sand colour, but can't say what this means.  Can only guess the darker shade was for the stand alone scheme, while lighter sand was utilized on multi-camou schemes?

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Inputting the suggested Revell sand 36116 into the Paint Coversion chart, it's approximate equivalent is FS 30266:

https://www.paint4models.com/

Here it is on top compared to the Saharian Khaki from the Squadron publication (Pignato).  As far as I can find, no model paint exists that matches FS 20260, so if that is the the colour to shoot for, some mixing will be required.

Woakfw3.png

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Edwin, which kit number do you have? I have the original issue, Kit 6452 (the resin and photoetch issue, with the added photo booklet) and the recommended colour is Italian Sand (Flat), to be represented by Model Master II 2110, or MM Acryl 4720. My added colour notes are Humbrol 74 or Tamiya 59 + 2, no mix percentage noted - flavour to taste according to desired fade, I guess. :) I'm not sure where I found those equivalents, a quick check of my usual sources hasn't confirmed them, but I obviously looked them up somewhere when I started the (still unfinished) kit a number of years ago.

Basically, all insides and outsides are Italian Sand for the version in the kit. If it will help, I can scan the instructions and pass them to you. I will also do some further cross referencing of colours and let you know - what is your preferred paint brand?

Italian figures are a rarity indeed, but MasterBox have a couple of sets in injection polystyrene, from memory. Have a look around, try

www.scalemates.com

as a starting place.

Thanks everybody, all very helpful. Ill now do some more checking around. I have been using Vallejo so would like to stick to that if possible.

The Kit is no 6530 which includes a choice of two weapons with a metal barrel for one.

Ill also keep looking for figures 

Eddie

From the looks of what Italeri have posted on their site, it would seem that the outside of your kit is the same as mine, Italian Sand all over. However, they give different paint codes, as seen at the bottom of this page

https://www.italeri.com/en/prodotto/2490/3/1000

which gives you some other options for paint cross referencing.

HTH.

Edit. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over the exact shade. Something close will be close enough, unless you're doing a factory fresh vehicle - the desert is no respecter of persons or paint.

Two of the Italeri suggested paints (mimetico - which just means camouflage) are aircraft colours, both of which are listed at the Stormo Magazine site.   None of the four aircraft yellows match the FS 20260 quoted from Italian researcher Pignato.   I'm thinking Italeri selected these two particular paints to promote their own brand,

and it's closest they have in their 'paint chart'.

giallo-mimetico-jpg.353573

Yes, all the suggestions fall under the umbrella of sand yellow, but when compared to one another there are differences,  some more so than others.

------------------------------

About crew figures,  yes resin is always more expensive than plastic injected.   The cost of one could easily buy a set (or even two) containing 4 plastic figs.  

Checking Scalemates for Italian figures, really don't see anything in plastic crew figures:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=italian&fkGROUPS[]="Figures"&fkSCALE[]="1:35"

There is the Miniart Tank Crew set,  but would have to replace tanker helmets with aftermarket heads (Hornet),and fix up the uniforms so they represent regular army.  Dragon 6391 has an Infantry set,  where you could possibly pose the two crouching figures outside the vehicle?

regards,

Jack

Forgot about the Hataka brand of paints.  They too have an Italian AFV set, but should be able to buy colours individually.  They are the only ones I know that have specifically labeled a Saharian Khaki paint.  Cannot vouch for accuracy, but digitally looks pretty good.

as106_Front.jpg

as106_Back.jpg

regards,

Jack