A Phabulous Pair Of Phancy Phantoms.

Hello everybody... Rather than do two separate RFI's for these I'm throwing them together here. I must warn you this RFI will be picture heavy.  First up is a 1/72 Accurate Miniatures (Monogram) F-4C in the markings of 64-0852 of the 122nd TFS from the Louisianan Air National Guard. This was built for the Phantom single type build. The Camouflage scheme was a temporary one from Red Flag March of 1983. The Squadron along with Phantom's of both the USN & USMC wore similar schemes in similar colors. 

4QeEUyu.jpg

BCdXGsG.jpg

SB3NnK1.jpg

WzaGD5u.jpg

rYSEZbZ.jpg

5WCrIlT.jpg

Pfrheda.jpg

hDPqfXU.jpg

9GjqmzE.jpg

1ahNmvc.jpg

i0mapmJ.jpg

dXCfwDf.jpg

Nye4y5T.jpg

The next Phantom is a Hasegawa 1/48 F-4EJ. It is an F-4EJ # 87-8407 from the 306th Hikotai in aggressor markings from Komatsu Air Base in 1982. This was built for the 1980's Asian group build. 

VIRrpYT.jpg

VskEu4F.jpg

umbSIWh.jpg

1BvRSA7.jpg

C5zG5J9.jpg

6W2HduV.jpg

xZ69VVi.jpg

YgkFcNY.jpg

EGxEFQi.jpg

IQqgau6.jpg

IsBuv1z.jpg

iZuWCF5.jpg

eJ4Lmdt.jpg

ZFjZesS.jpg

lFX31QX.jpg

I do hope these both meet to your liking. Please feel free to ask questions, comment, or pass on your thoughts ? 

Dennis

Build logs: 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 24

Does anybody know what the yellow/white diagonal bars on Phantom tails are for? These phantastic examples have them on the side and nose as well.

I've googled and found nothing - they dont appear on USN F4s but they are on USAF F101s and F111s. The RAF had them on some late F4Js - are they some sort of warning marking? If so they seem to be optional.

Thanks

Edited by TallBlondJohn

45 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Does anybody know what the yellow/white diagonal bars on Phantom tails are for? These phantastic examples have them on the side and nose as well.

Hello John sometime in the late 60's or very early 70's the US military started using those. They're nicknamed "slime-lights" due to the greenish yellow color. I think they have a low-voltage electrical current which activates the chemical. At night they glow in the dark, and are used for station keeping in formation while on combat ops. This way the don't use the anti-collision strobes which can be see for miles at night. 

Dennis

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

They are formation lights, They were fitted new to F4Es and F4Js and their developments F4Gs and F4Ss.  They were then refitted to F4Cs and F4Ds.  I am going to build this aircraft in 1/48th.  The full markings are on a Caracal sheet.

8b8fa40fee300829413be5d858912aba

As mentioned this was a temporary camouflage for Red Flag, and each aircraft was different.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

As mentioned this was a temporary camouflage for Red Flag, and each aircraft was different.

Im collecting photo's and aircraft histories for these birds. They've become a pet project of mine and plan on more more self. If i can help or vice versa let me know ? 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Hi Dennis, I am a big fan of the mighty Phantom and have a lot of books. The one that brought my attention to the Louisiana ANG was Colors & Markings Vol 3 of the F4C by Bert Kinzey, it showed normal wrap-around camouflage aircraft plus the two tone gray aircraft, but it did not mention that they were painted like that for Red Flag.  So I Googled Louisiana ANG and found out more from an AirForce site that included the photo, I was hoping for FS paint numbers and upper wing shots, if I was really lucky some underside details.  But apart from the fact that they were painted just for Red Flag in a temporary camouflage scheme, plus the controversy over the squadron nickname, not much else.  I obtained the Caracal decal sheet #CD48038 for ANG F4s but it does not mention these temporary markings, but it does have the squadron nickname both in black and white.  So that is what I have and know, so if you have found out some more information I would be happy receive it as I have an Academy F4C or two waiting in the stash.

Bob.

• Like 1

Hello @Retired Bob ive added my build log as a link. In there on page two there are some more links to websites that discuss the schemes. One was written by the Photographer who took the photo's at Red Flag. His biggest regret was not taking better photo's of the wings. He describes the upper/lower wings on most of the Grey/Lt. grey phantoms in a hill style camouflage. The one link shows USN/USMC F-4S Phantom's in similar schemes. One from VMFA-232 in three-tone reddish pink salmon colors. This one 0852 is the only one i can discern having stripes on the wings. I blew up the photos. I can just make out the color changes on the wings leading edges. So i picked this one as its different. I found photo's of the 122nd still in SEA at red flag so not all of them carried the schemes. 

Dennis 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/172092-122tfs-la-ang-f-4c/

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/80s%2Cphantom

1st photo is of 0852

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

very nice!

I love the lines of the Monogram Phantom!

and the extravagant scheme of the Japanese one :)

how do both kits compare next to each other? do you have a photo showing both?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Excellent work on both more please !

Soon sir ...soon i have an RF-4B in the rotation and then we'll see whats after that. 

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

how do both kits compare next to each other? do you have a photo showing both?

I think both kits are still quite good for their age's. Both build up without much fuss. I don't have a photo of them together. But the links to both WIP's are in the original post. They're two different scales, but the Monogram was most likely down sized from the 1/48 kit. Seeing as I've not only built one but converted that one from a C/D to a USMC "J" its also not bad. If I'm being honest i will be building another Monogram again, as Revell has recently re-popped them. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03941-f-4j-phantom-ii--1013761

Dennis

• Like 1