This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Joel Abery

Do you have an influence for your creations

i spend a lot of time watching and learning so i wonder what influence people do have on the way we make things and how you find insperation for what you do and the people that inspire you

This site is one good source but I love making all manner of things - I do a bit of volunteering at an art and crafts group for people impacted by dementia so get to talk to working artists there. I bounce ideas around with other scientist friends and have a pinterest board where I pin pictures of things I've made and it trawls for things that are visually similar or related by keyword. Instagram is good as well - once you start posting things that interest you the explore feed starts to find all manner or people doing related cool stuff you can be inspired by/pinch indiscriminately from

Posted (edited)

I totally agree that you get drawn into some amazing things that may be you would never have thought about.  Lostcosmonauts 

Edited by Joel Abery
Spelling mistake

21 hours ago, Joel Abery said:

I totally agree that you get drawn into some amazing things that may be you would never have thought about.  Lostcosmonauts 

True. My potential project list keeps expanding and expanding. 

Have you ever read Where good Ideas Come From or seen the TED talk? It talks a lot about the idea of the adjacent possible... once you have one idea that opens up ever more landscape or potential for building onto or connecting with other ideas and quickly you are into entirely new fields.

Well worth a read or a watch

I think all the paint / glue fume's  are what "influence's" me.spacer.png

Most of my builds either start as late night eBay bid or I think of X kit in the stash or in a particular shop when on the sauce, so I have to say beer and gin influence me quite a bit 😂

I'm afraid that I'm just  simple soul who draws his inspiration from the mundane. I build lots of Shermans because basically, I like Shermans. Anything else that gets built is because I've liked a photo of a tank, or a set of decals have caught my eye. That's about it.

John.

Don't have any inspiration really, just what models I have in stock. Not a great stash, I have two. 😂

My Mrs came home from the boot sale with an Airfix BAe Hawk T MK1A today. Not a 'plane I would normally bother with ( a bit boring), but a complete model with two brushes and six pots of paint for 50p is a fair bargain, so that goes on the list.

Hmmmm 🧐 ? Id say yes I have influences, many of them actually. I am a student of History, and was influenced & inspired when I was 8 years old. I woke up at 3:00 am and turned the T.V. on. The movie on was "The heroes of Telemark" with Kirk Douglas.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heroes_of_Telemark

From that day to this I have had a voracious appetite for all History. Ive primarily focused on the 20th century. Though I have a good familiarity and working knowledge of ancient history and other era's as well. My main fascination with 20th century History focus on military and Geo-political history. I am also inspired by Aviation and figures in aviation. I have model collections inspired and influenced by certain people.

Currently I am inspired by certain era's (40's-70's) of aircraft. Then there are the people like Gregory Boyington, Robert Stanford Tuck, Josef "Pip's" Priller, and my own Families military service. And finally I am inspired by certain types of equipment. Such as F4U Corsairs, F-4 Phantom, Century series aircraft, and USN/MC Aircraft. To some degree's i am also influenced by and build collections of certain military squadrons. VMF now VMA-214, VF-143, VF-74, and a few others. Because of this my stash and collection tend to reflect my current tastes. I hope this all makes sone sense and isn't a rambling incoherent mess ? 

Dennis