1/72 Fw 190D-9 (Hobby Boss)

I put the finishing touches on this beast last week. 

I picked this simple kit mainly to try my hand at riveting, and was happy with the results. The HB quick-build kit has its limits: zero cockpit, spurious wheel wells, rather flat dihedral angle; but has its strong points too - good basic shape (only 1/72 kit having the recessed channel behind the lower cowl for instance), nice solid feel when assembled, and of course goes together fast.

I improved the exterior by tweaking the too-wide prop blades and too-long cowl flaps, re-did some cowl panel lines, made an attempt to ease the exaggerated fabric detail, replaced the scrawny kit wheels with Eduard leftovers, and added other bits, including pitot and gun barrels from Albion brass tubing. 

I took some artistic license in a couple areas, first depicting it at an earlier point in time than its well-known photos, with more parts attached! Second, published profiles of “yellow 8” invariably opt for the late-war upper surface greens, but the 74/75 scheme typical for mid-production Fieseler-built D-9’s seems more likely to me. Pics show the cowl (pre-painted in dark green at Junkers) is clearly darker than the rest of the fuselage, with Fieseler hurriedly applying a few light gray blotches to blend the two.

Paints are old-school Aeromaster enamels and Testor’s clear coats. Upper wing and fuselage crosses are painted, but Eaglecals used for other markings. Kept the weathering fairly light, using oil washes, pastels, and colored pencils.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 48

I bought some Hobby Boss easy assembly myself as they are cheap , quick to build and a great platform to try ideas...... be it scratch building, riveting, new painting techniques ...anything.

The result can be a great addition to the collection which yours absolutely is.

Well done indeed....... lovely 190

On 8/17/2019 at 8:41 AM, MDriskill said:

I put the finishing touches on this beast last week. 

I picked this simple kit mainly to try my hand at riveting, and was happy with the results. The HB quick-build kit has its limits: zero cockpit, spurious wheel wells, and rather flat dihedral angle. But it has strong points too - a good basic shape, nice solid feel when assembled, and of course goes together fast. Interestingly, it’s the only 1/72 kit to have the small recessed channel behind the lower cowl, a nice bit of research there.

I improved the exterior by tweaking the too-wide prop blades and too-long cowl flaps, corrected some cowl panel lines, made a (not too good!) attempt to ease the exaggerated fabric detail, replaced the scrawny kit wheels with Eduard leftovers, and added other exterior bits, including pitot and gun barrels from Albion brass tubing. 

I took some artistic license in a couple areas: First, it’s depicted at an earlier point in time than its well-known photos, with more parts still attached! Second, published profiles of “yellow 8” invariably opt for the late-war upper surface greens, but Fieseler’s mid-production scheme (74/75/76, with the pre-painted dark green cowl from Junkers having some hurriedly-applied gray spots to blend it in) seems more likely to me. Pics clearly show the cowl is darker than the rest of the fuselage, with the gray blotches plainly visible.

Paints are old-school Aeromaster enamels and Testor’s clear coats. Upper wing and fuselage crosses are painted, with Eaglecals used for other markings. Kept the weathering fairly light, using oil washes, pastels, and colored pencils.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

It’s a fantastic rendition of the Dora, especially with the light mottling camo that is not that usual in this type. The riveting looks terrific and well within scale. May I ask what tool and technique did you used in it?

I really appreciate all the kind comments on this model! You will notice I angled the photos to hide the complete lack of any cockpit detail, LOL... 🙄

The fine mottling in classic 74/75/76 colors was typical of mid-production, Fieseler-built D-9’s. The scheme is based on photos and profiles in the D-9 books by JaPo and Jerry Crandall, which I can’t recommend highly enough if you like this aircraft.

Rivets were done with a “Rosie the Riveter,” a simple pounce-wheel type tool that I got from UMM Hobbies here in the US, which worked very well. I found the secrets to using it accurately and achieving (relatively!) straight lines were: 1) pencil the main rivet lines onto the model first; 2) position my eye directly above the center axis of the tool while using it (if you hold the model out away from yourself while working, so that you are viewing the work at an angle...you’ll wander off every time).

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1