Lockheed P/F-80 Shooting Star interior colours?

Smudge

Looking for the interior colour of wheel and airbrake bays and doors on early Korean war period Lockheed P/F-80C Shooting Stars.

I've found some info on latter service periods and quite a bit on T-33's, but nothing on early F-80's.

I'm thinking either just bare metal as the exterior, or some kind of Chromate yellow/green.

There are some nice period colour photos to be found (Google/Pinterest) but it is very difficult to make out any colours for these areas as they are always in the shade. 

Also, I do feel slightly silly asking these questions, as probably it has been asked before. Is there any kind of database/web page

that has this kind of information? I can sometimes spend hours searching for this sort of info with no luck at all!

Thanks for your interest.

All of the references I have and photos show either yellowish zinc chromate or interior green, with the green being FS34151. I think originally the wheel bays and flap wells were in the yellow chromate primer, with the green primer being used later or after maintenance/overhaul. Korean War F-80's seem to have the yellow primer. Interior surfaces of the gear doors and speed brakes appear to be natural metal or painted aluminum. See the link below for some neat F-80 photos and histories that you might find of interest.

Mike

http://aircraft-in-focus.com/lockheed-f-80/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mike. I think that you are right there, I had an idea that the early one's had the yellowish colour. It would make sense if these were later repainted the green, as most pictures of these seem to bear that out. 

Really appreciate the link, some lovely period photo's there.

Thanks, all the best.