This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
goggsy

Feel like a nitwit

Ok, so I’m prepared to get a bit flamed for this but maybe some members have been there themselves.....

I’ve been steadily working away on the old 1/48 Tamiya A10 for a few months now, on and off. A fair bit of work went into it, full rescribe, dealing with some fit issues, Europe 1 camo, etc. I got the three tones of camo on and was fairly happy with it, then something fell on it and snapped the engines off. OK, it happens; I patiently reattached them and patiently redid the filling needed to fair these poorly fitting parts in. Several nights work later I was happy with the result and moved onto the gloss coating. Having given a wet coat of Tamiya Clear over the Tamiya paint, imagine my dismay when I came back in the morning to find a horrendous bloom over the entire plane. OK, it happens, even when you’re not sure why; I patiently gave it Mr Muscle bath and took it back to the primer ready to re do. 

I always take the view that if you have to do this sort of thing then you might as well fix the bits that you weren’t entirely happy with first time around so I re did a few bits of scribing and really nailed down the preshading this time, which looked epic if I say so myself. Cue a respray of primer, 48 hours wait and a cut back for a smooth surface and then a fresh coat of deep green done with extra care for a top result. After the experience with the Tamiya Clear (bad batch maybe?) I defaulted to good old Klear for a protective coat. At this point my high end airbrush, that is attached to a high end tank compressor, chose to spit a massive amount of water all over the wet Klear. In the ten years I’ve had it, the  brush has never done this before.

At this point something snapped in me and I absolutely lost control. I’m usually quite laid back about my modelling but I literally got the red mist and within 15 seconds there were pieces of broken plastic scattered all over the workshop, none of it more than a couple of inches in diameter. Fortunately that was as far as it went - nothing else got broken.

I’m not really sure why I’m even posting this other than to get it off my chest but my will to model is just about as broken as what used to be my A10 at the moment. I’d picked up the A10 as something straightforward to work on as I’ve an old Monogram C47 that I’d been foiling (using kitchen foil) and had got to saturation point with it - that’s sitting under my desk waiting to be picked up again when I’m less cheesed off with the whole thing. I’m wary of starting something new now because I haven’t been able to finish the last two models and have tantrumed the hell out of one of them. I don’t do “shelf of doom” - if I start something, I finish it (usually), and I don’t want to be one of those modellers who never actually models. What do members think, walk away for a bit?

Yah mukka, I feel your pain. I would say don't step away completely - use the time to have a tidy up. Throw all the A-10 and its box away. Go through all your paints, glues, files, clamps - most of the tools and equipment. Don't even touch your models. Have a sort out and bin/replace bits and pieces as you see fit. Clean up your work surfaces, bin old and dried up glues and paints, sort out and reorganise decals/aftermarket bits etc.

Then go away and do your second hobby for a week, month, whatever, until you feel the urge to model again. 

You'll then be starting wih a fresh and tidy space, all your kit will be clean and tidy and ready to go - you won't be faced with all the hassle of tidying and sorting and then modelling again.

Good luck and don't sweat it.

Thanks Parabat, that’s good advice. I think I’ll do just what you suggest - I’ve got a lot of clutter and garbage hanging around and getting rid of it would definitely give me some headspace. 

You feel like a nitwit; I often feel like a Hobnob, but the shop is a fair drive away, so I generally don't get what I want.

Eh, it's a hobby. As has been said, take a break, but don't stray too far. As for the A-10, maybe the Cosmic All was simply telling you that you shouldn't be building those newfangled kerosene blowtorch things, and should instead be building pukkah airyplanes, ones wot's got pistons and stuff. Something to think on. :D

Now go and have a tidy up, and then do something different for a wee while. We'll be here when you get back.

You're more likely to get flamed by us for using some mild profanity in the title - I've dropped it a cog to protect the innocents :)

What do I think ?  You're living the dream.... often felt like turning a 50 piece kit into 500 piece one, but the little voice in my ear tells me I'll have to pick up all the pieces afterwards.  Oh wait, that might have been the missus....

Like others I feel your pain. Look on the bright side, though - the last (and only) time I chucked a model across the room in a fit of temper it bounced off the wall and hit my daughter in the face! I was not popular to say the least.

I have been tidying my desk for two years now waiting for the modelling bug to come back...

As far as acts of petulant destruction go this was cheap, harmless and briefly cathartic. Likely cheaper than therapy.

One thing I did that restarted my mojo was a what-if just working from random bits from the spares box. I'd much recommend gathering up the broken chunks, rummaging your spares and just being creative for the sheer fun of it. Throw verisimilitude out of the window and go hog crazy on a cheap model or bits of scrap

Sorry to hear this, but sometimes the daftest things can take people past their breaking points. For many modelling should be a distraction from the stresses and sometimes seemingly impossible situations and endless setbacks of real life. It's generally frowned upon to punch and kick HMRC or insurance claims handlers or the distracted gimp who reverses into your car and reckons it isn't a big deal, so self control is overspent on this stuff. When it happens in the model world therefore, reactions can seem extreme on rare occasions. It's a good thing. If a toy aeroplane didn't get it, something or someone else would.

On a more practical note, it sounds like you have water in your compressor tank and moisture trap... It's worth investigating before the next model box is opened. Slugs of water don't come from nowhere and it'll be the compressor that sent it rather than the airbrush which spat it that's to blame.

Chin up, and don't beat yourself up about it.

5ab23c12b88efef953d269aff3474b7b--monty-

We’ve all done it. Just see it as a part of modelling. 

I usually move move onto something completely different, works for me, until I attack another model!!!!