Help please with information on Hawker Typhoon JP405 JE-B

hawker1966

2 hours ago, hawker1966 said:

Hi

Could anyone please help with any information on Hawker Typhoon JP405 JE-B and Flt/Sgt Vault 195 Squadron that crashed at Potter Heighton on the 8/7/43.

Many thanks in advance

Presumably you are  seeking information on the appearance of this aircraft.  It was a brand new machine, having arrived at Ludham (195's base) just two days before the crash. A photo of such a short-lived aircraft is unlikely but I have one of its replacement JP503 which arrived a few days later. It shows completely standard markings - sky spinner, Typhoon identity stripes, Sqn codes to the left of the roundel.  It was one of the last 'cardoor' Typhoons with the aerial mast through the canopy (soon to be replaced by a whip aerial), faired cannon barrels, no bomb carriers or exhaust fairings. JP405 would have  been very similar.

the crash site was Potter Heigham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi gingerbob

literally anything there is on this aircraft

Hi Chris

Thank you for your detailed reply, the reason im after as much information as possible, is so that i can make up a file to go with the throttle quadrant that i have as a relic for this particular Typhoon.

Would you no any of its service records although being a short time in service? i would imagine it was used for training only within the scale of its service.

Sorry as this may be on the wrong thread title, more likely thread would be the Aircraft discussion.

Edited by hawker1966

The 195 Squadron ORB is unusual in that it records all flights, both operational and non-operational.  It seems JP405 was one of 3 Typhoons delivered on 5 July 1943. On 6, 7 and 8 July it made a total of 12 flights, all of which were tests or training flights except for one at 2155 on 7 July when it was one of two Typhoons scrambled to intercept a pair of Fw 190s.  Unfortunately they were unable to make contact.

F/Sgt Vause was airborne on 1035 on 8 July, for "Cine Gun and Low Flying" exercises.  He crashed at 1120 during the latter exercise.

The Form 78 'movement card' has just two entires recording its arrival with the squadron on 6 July and the flying accident, category E, on 8 July.

There is also the Form 1180 'accident card' which records brief details of the accident for statistical purposes.  Copies of both these cards can be obtained from the RAF Museum Archives department.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for your detailed reply once again, i was on another forum and someone recommended the Britmodeller as they said that someone on there is very knowledgeable on the Hawker Typhoon.

Such a shame as always to hear of this particular aircraft's short service, but now i can piece together as much information to go with the quadrant to keep both aircraft and airman's story alive.

Thank you 

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for your detailed reply once again, i was on another forum and someone recommended the Britmodeller as they said that someone on there is very knowledgeable on the Hawker Typhoon.

Would you have any other information on Flt/Sgt Vause?

Such a shame as always to hear of this particular aircraft's short service, but now i can piece together as much information to go with the quadrant to keep both aircraft and airman's story alive.

Thank you 

Edited by hawker1966

15 hours ago, hawker1966 said:

In regards to the Rafs archives department what would be the best way to approach this? would it be via the internet?

It is RAF Museum, Hendon, Archives that you need to contact.  Internet for the number and then speak direct.