1956 - Britain drops its first atomic bomb ++ FINISHED ++

CliffB

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Your'e doing a grand job with this lovely Valiant restoration Cliff. The desk model concept will work a treat. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave :)

1 hour ago, Timmas said:

This looks great. Mind if I tag along?

It would be a pleasure Timmas.  Hopefully though, it will be a short journey!

Cheers

Cliff

Today I've been looking at stands (the original FROG stand was one of the bits that was missing).

P1110041.jpg

I started with the Italeri stand on the left, but it was way too flimsy.  Then I  remembered that my unbuilt 1/96 Lindberg Victor kit had a stand with it - the altogether more impressive beast on the right!

The stand includes a metal pin, which fits into a socket that you have to fix to the underside of the plane.

P1110042.jpg

And here it is in action...

P1110043.jpg

The job's a good 'un :)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 8

The Valiant seems to always be in the background to the Victor and Vulcan somehow. Looking at your model sat on that stand shows it to be a bit of a looker though. The lines are just right, nothing looks out of place, just a very tough looking airframe. The stand suits the plane as well, good choice. It's not one I'm familiar with so it looks fresh to my eyes. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Tony.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

The Valiant seems to always be in the background to the Victor and Vulcan somehow. Looking at your model sat on that stand shows it to be a bit of a looker though. The lines are just right, nothing looks out of place, just a very tough looking airframe. The stand suits the plane as well, good choice. It's not one I'm familiar with so it looks fresh to my eyes. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Tony.

Thanks Tony.  I'm enjoying the irony of using the Lindberg stand, because although they released their own Victor and Vulcan kits, they for some reason never produced a Valiant.

Cliff

• Like 2

I've spent the last couple of days stinking the house out with rattle cans.  Three coats of Tamiya primer, followed by three coats of Humbrol 11.

I'm glad it's over, because I get really nervous when unleashing a rattle can!  All's well that ends well though.

P1110044.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I should be able to get all the black bits masked and painted.

Decalling should be pretty straightforward.  Aftermarket D Type roundels and homemade serials printed from a .JPEG kindly supplied by @PeterB.

Pete sent me the file when I first proposed to build this Valiant in the FROG Squad GB.  At that time I was going to mimic the kit's decals - hence WZ365.  Things have since moved on, but luckily WZ366 can still be easily cobbled together from the decals :)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 8

Glad they were of some use Cliff - frankly I had forgotten I sent them it seems so long ago. I sent you 366 by email just now and then sent the complete font pack which might be useful. If you use it don't press shift for capitals as it does it automatically, and pressing shift makes the letters not show.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking fabulous as always Cliff. Now I don't won't to come across as a 'Font Nazi" however have you double checked your references for the style of those serials? I'm pretty sure early Valiants in HSS also wore the squarer type serials as well and from what I've come across these may have been more prevalent than the rounded type you plan on using. I don't want to stall your progress, however just chipping in so that you get this beautiful kit as close to correct as possible. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking fabulous as always Cliff. Now I don't won't to come across as a 'Font Nazi" however have you double checked your references for the style of those serials? I'm pretty sure early Valiants in HSS also wore the squarer type serials as well and from what I've come across these may have been more prevalent than the rounded type you plan on using. I don't want to stall your progress, however just chipping in so that you get this beautiful kit as close to correct as possible. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks for this Dave. 

You're quite right, now I look I can see that HSS Valiants did indeed have a squarer font!  To be honest, I didn't realise that there were different fonts and I had to look quite hard to spot the difference.  Of course though, once you know, the variation is easy to see.

Unfortunately, I have no better option than what I'm currently proposing to use.  I'm quite relaxed about the error - things like this come with the territory when building old kits in oddball scales :winkgrin:.

It's always good to learn though, so thanks again for your comment.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Suppose it could have been a version of one of the wartime fonts as there were some significant variations over the years - as I said on one of my Frog builds, probably the Shackleton, I am not sure when or even why the Post War font was introduced, and for all I know there were variations on that too, particularly in the early days, but the one I use matches the ones supplied by Modeldecal and Hannants pretty well. Anybody with the time, inclination and skill could no doubt modify them in something like Photoshop, as indeed Charlie did on his Frog Sea Fury.

Pete

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks for this Dave. 

You're quite right, now I look I can see that HSS Valiants did indeed have a squarer font!  To be honest, I didn't realise that there were different fonts and I had to look quite hard to spot the difference.  Of course though, once you know, the variation is easy to see.

Unfortunately, I have no better option than what I'm currently proposing to use.  I'm quite relaxed about the error - things like this come with the territory when building old kits in oddball scales :winkgrin:.

It's always good to learn though, so thanks again for your comment.

Cheers

Cliff

I might be able to help you out with these serials as I (still) use Photoshop and Illustrator regularly. Send me a PM to let me know?

This rebuild is looking great by the way! 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Suppose it could have been a version of one of the wartime fonts as there were some significant variations over the years - as I said on one of my Frog builds, probably the Shackleton, I am not sure when or even why the Post War font was introduced, and for all I know there were variations on that too, particularly in the early days, but the one I use matches the ones supplied by Modeldecal and Hannants pretty well. Anybody with the time, inclination and skill could no doubt modify them in something like Photoshop, as indeed Charlie did on his Frog Sea Fury.

Pete

2 hours ago, Timmas said:

I might be able to help you out with these serials as I (still) use Photoshop and Illustrator regularly. Send me a PM to let me know?

This rebuild is looking great by the way! 😀

Thanks guys.  Unfortunately this is a subject about which I know absolutely nothing!

Here's a nice picture though which shows the squarer font.  You really have to know what you're looking at, to spot the difference.  I'm perfectly happy with your font Pete :).

Thank you very much for your kind offer Timmas, but with my focus now on the GB deadline I will stick with what I have.  Maybe next time? ;)

Meanwhile, I've spent the morning masking up the nose and cockpit.  I found it quite a challenge to get all the curves etc., more or less symmetrical.  I've done the best I can, but anyone who knows Valiants will see that the windows are way off what they should be.  Never mind, I can add them to the list of errors! :winkgrin: (only joking).

P1110047.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

Looks like your well on your way to wrapping her up as a Christmas present and sending it down to your favourite GB Host!! Only joking Cliff, well I’d like to think that I know (a little) about Valiants and that masking looks great! This will look superb once completed.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks like your well on your way to wrapping her up as a Christmas present and sending it down to your favourite GB Host!! 

Just looking for some suitable paper 🎅 🦌

• Haha 1

I was going to say that my Valiant has finally landed - but that would be totally inappropriate!

P1110048.jpg

The cockpit masking turned out really well, although the windows are wider than they should be.  I reckon this is because FROG made the cockpit bulge too wide.

Also, the anti-dazzle is too short, but that's entirely my fault for not paying attention!

As a final act, I gave the model a coat of Klear - partly to seal the decals, but also to tone down the metallic sheen of the paint.

You will have noticed the period name plate.

@TonyW kindly sent me a photograph of an original FROG decal transfer sheet, from which I was able to print the plaque.  I think it adds greatly to the 50s vibe :thumbsup2:

This is probably the largest kit that I've ever built (possibly my 1/72 Lancaster is bigger - it depends on which dimension you take), but either way it only just fits into my display case.  I hoping that the Vulcan and Victor will be no larger........

P1110052.jpg

I've very much enjoyed bringing this kit back from the scrap heap (although I won't be making a habit of such things ;)), made all the more enjoyable my everyone's help and support.

Thanks fellas.

My special thanks to @Rabbit Leader for being a brilliantly attentive Host, as always.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

You’ve most certainly captured the beautiful lines of the Vickers Valiant with this superb build and restoration Cliff. The end result is just drop dead gorgeous and that finish and stand are just perfect. You’ve managed to deliver a real GB standout and a kit to be most definitely proud of.

Cheers, we’ll modelled and thanks so much for taking part.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TonyW said:

That looks absolutely amazing! I've not seen a FROG Valiant built up before, yet alone to that standard. A real treat to see.

Tony.

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You’ve most certainly captured the beautiful lines of the Vickers Valiant with this superb build and restoration Cliff. The end result is just drop dead gorgeous and that finish and stand are just perfect. You’ve managed to deliver a real GB standout and a kit to be most definitely proud of.

Cheers, we’ll modelled and thanks so much for taking part.. Dave 

Thanks chaps, I glad that you like it.  By coincidence, an un-built version (but missing the stand), sold on eBay last night for £70.

My next FROG will be my Hampden, which I shall be finishing off in the KUTA GB.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Thanks chaps, I glad that you like it.  By coincidence, an un-built version (but missing the stand), sold on eBay last night for £70.

Blimey, £70?!!

Yours looks beautiful by the way...it's really impressive on that stand and it looks great alongside the others.

• Thanks 1

My uncle went to work for Vickers in their drawing office after the war and stayed with the company in its various iterations until he retired. I know he worked on Concord and I like to think that he might have played a small part in the Valiant's development too. It's a beautiful aircraft.

• Like 1

On 22/11/2019 at 20:00, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks like your well on your way to wrapping her up as a Christmas present and sending it down to your favourite GB Host!! Only joking Cliff, well I’d like to think that I know (a little) about Valiants and that masking looks great! This will look superb once completed.

Cheers.. Dave

The address details are easy

Font Nazi

Down Under !

Outstanding work, even the window masking is amazing :partytime:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2