1/48 Kitty Hawk SU35 Flanker- anyone built it?

Antb

Hi guys 

I'm wondering whether anyone had built this kit and can give me a bit of a nudge in the right direction? 

The majority of the kit has been completed with the exception of the bombs and missiles as I've hit a bit of a puzzle. 

The racks that attach to the wings and fuselage have additional racks attached to them in a double rack set up but the instructions really aren't clear as to what second set of racks go with what bombs or missiles. 

I've done a bit of digging and frankly can't work it out. Images online dont reslly help and the instructions dont list the rack with the bomb or missiles, it lists the racks seperate and doesnt put thr 2 together.

So wondered if anyone could give me some pointers please? 

Cheers 

It's a good kit, just make sure you correct (lengthen) the front landing gear rear spar so that the droop is the right angle.

Fja35tk.jpg

99qTkYr.jpg

This is the GWH Su-35 instruction page, does that help?   Perhaps for the air to ground stuff check out the photos of their latest offering

5N5EXOu.jpg

Anq5Mvo.jpg

Scroll down and check out Haneto's build.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Photos of your exact problem might help us to understand?

There are several online builds around alo here on BM

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. I should have added photos, apologies. 

I've added some below 

What a confusing me is that although some of the air to air show the additional pylons the air to ground stuff doesn't and there's no clear way of identifying what goes with what. 

Having said that the air to air stuff doesn't tally up with the racks on the plane already. 

In this image the kab500 and the kh29 have no indication of rails. The r73 and r77 do but there's no mounting holes in the pylons on the aircraft. 

20190817-093636.jpg

The box set actually shows the r73 attached directly to the wing rails already in place? 

The kab1500 give no indication of rails

20190817-093642.jpg

Here's the confusion. See the rails here, they aren't allocated against anything, just shows then and what needs building. 

20190817-093647.jpg

It's puzzling. 

• Like 1

That’s pretty typical for Kitty Hawk in regards to weapons loadouts. Lots of ordnance, minimum info! I had the same drama with their Fitter. 

From what I can remember from googling is the individual ordnance tends to have a bespoke pylon unlike the standardisation you have with NATO aircraft. Best option is to search for pics of the ordnance you want to hang, then have a look at the pylons they use and compare to the KH. Hopefully there is a SME here to go further!

• Thanks 1

Best search for online photos of the real thing.

In generalm  missiles need launch rails attached with a pylon to the wing etc...

Bombs are dropped from pylons alone. 

I can look up my kit later tonight if needed. I think everything is actually included...

• Thanks 1

On 17/08/2019 at 18:44, Antb said:

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. I should have added photos, apologies. 

I've added some below 

What a confusing me is that although some of the air to air show the additional pylons the air to ground stuff doesn't and there's no clear way of identifying what goes with what. 

Having said that the air to air stuff doesn't tally up with the racks on the plane already. 

In this image the kab500 and the kh29 have no indication of rails. The r73 and r77 do but there's no mounting holes in the pylons on the aircraft. 

The box set actually shows the r73 attached directly to the wing rails already in place? 

The kab1500 give no indication of rails

Here's the confusion. See the rails here, they aren't allocated against anything, just shows then and what needs building. 

It's puzzling. 

The BD-3UMK and BD-4UMK adaptors as shown above are for the bombs and fit to the pylons on any number of stations, from memory I think the locating pins are perhaps spaced differently and give a guide to which adaptor can go on which pylon or as Werner says, I'd look at photos for the answer.

• Thanks 1

the KH-29 is a missile and additionally needs a launch rail

Kh-29T_Su-30MK2_3.jpg?resize=800,445&ssl

https://i0.wp.com/www.fav-club.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Kh-29T_Su-30MK2_3.jpg?resize=800%2C445&ssl=1

su-30-kh-29_baodat.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kENB6m3tpjM/WdgxLbL964I/AAAAAAAA2As/wrrjjJLiReQkS3yf3yC2bv5YRziKwpiFwCLcBGAs/s1600/su-30-kh-29_baodat.jpg

Su-35-Kh-29TE-KnAAPO-1S.jpg

https://www.ausairpower.net/VVS/Su-35-Kh-29TE-KnAAPO-1S.jpg

this is a KH 29 and it need the whatever -58 launch rail as seen above

the same foes for nearly all the larger air to ground missiles:

Kh-31_Su-30MK2_Bavalle2017_JLM.jpg

http://www.fav-club.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Kh-31_Su-30MK2_Bavalle2017_JLM.jpg

KH-31 above, ~ same launch rail

you see the pylons to which  the lauich rail is mounted above. it is different, depending on the station  

the KAB 1500 is a bomb and mounted to a pylon only. it is also dropped, not launched:

c21dde528dcd.jpg

http://s017.radikal.ru/i421/1302/28/c21dde528dcd.jpg

1029387781.jpg

https://cdn5.img.sputniknews.com/images/102938/77/1029387781.jpg

hope that clears it a bit for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 of these in progress.

The big issue is I'm using the Eduard coloured interior and I am having huge dramas trying to colour match the etch panel light blue.

Any one help?

Sorry - I mean for the SU-33

Edited by Des prince
Wrong topic I guess

On 8/30/2019 at 4:19 AM, Des prince said:

The big issue is I'm using the Eduard coloured interior and I am having huge dramas trying to colour match the etch panel light blue.

I've used the Eduard and also Dream Model etch too. I always repaint as much of the incorrect 'interior color' on the etch as I can with lightened AKAN 73069 to better match the rest of the cockpit. Basically fill in between the dials with a tiny brush and diluted paint.

Thanks for your reply.

Will give it a go. It is a shame the coloured photoetch manufactures don'y include the colour they use when printing their products.

Looks like you are a flanker fan like myself.

So many new manufactures, new Flankers that I have to have. One day I will actually completely finish one.

Have been model building for 55 years just for my own pleasure but the fear of failure when it comes to final painting is killing me.😬

On 8/31/2019 at 2:05 AM, paulsbrown said:

I've used the Eduard and also Dream Model etch too. I always repaint as much of the incorrect 'interior color' on the etch as I can with lightened AKAN 73069 to better match the rest of the cockpit. Basically fill in between the dials with a tiny brush and diluted paint.

I have found Dream Models set's colors closer to the real thing than most Eduard. The color on their Su-33 set is almost spot on. Unfortunately, their accuracy leaves something to be desired. The front IP was OK, but the side panels are pretty much fictitious. Beaver Models sets also seem to have closer to real colors.

Its a shame the etch makers can't do closer matches to the real aircraft's colors. US jets have used Dark Gull grey interiors for years and the color is well documented but the color Eduard uses is never anywhere near it, sometimes being closer to purple :doh:.