Hello From A Newbie

Extremedalek

Hi Everyone!

Thought I'd stop by here and introduce myself. I'm really new to the hobby. Well, I say new, I built some Star Trek ships, a movie-style Dalek and a couple of Aliens back in my teens (none to a very good standard I'm afraid - no priming, no base colour, just enamels onto bare plastic, a few crumpled decals and Bob's your uncle!) 

Lately though I've been thinking about starting again, but doing things right this time. I was thinking of getting a Trek kit form Amazon, but I luckily happened across an AMT Voyager kit for sale at a local comicon for £16 so I snapped it up (there was also an Enterprise E, but someone else too that while I was making my mind up).

Obviously there was nothing around like this site back when I was first modelling, so I'm hoping for lots of tips, tricks and advice to get the best finish for my abilities from my models.

• Like 1

High E.D.

welcome tp the site. You should get all the info & advice you need here. The only advice I would give you is don't expect to be at the same level as the most accomplished on the site straight away.  By all means strive to improve, just remember practice makes perfect, just keep building, keep your first 4 or 5 simple & you will get better without putting yourself off,

cheers,

spad.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Extremedalek said:

so I'm hoping for lots of tips, tricks and advice to get the best finish for my abilities from my models.

good advice from @spaddad,    tips and advice,  have trawl through some build,  tip- add 'britmodeller' into a search term,  there is not masses of SF modelling here, but enough to get some ideas.

Best way, do a WIP,  (work in progress),  say what what your abilities are, ask for suggestions, (you may be better than you think), and you will receive plenty of support and helpful advice, one of the biggest sins here is to,  well,  to be rude or unhelpful...   

And, you might be surprised, one you do some photos, and see your work in this context,  that is really helpful, as you then see it they way you see other builds,  a useful perspective.

People (who me?)  use this as their social media,  I'll look in on build that seems interesting,  regardless of subject, but you will learn a lot of different techniques, and ways of problem solving.

SF builds,  @Nigel Heath  has done some great build threads,  and gives a good idea of the banter here, and Nigel's diet...

HTH

PS  this AMT Voyager kit?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Extremedalek said:

no priming, no base colour, just enamels onto bare plastic, a few crumpled decals and Bob's your uncle!) 

Gidday, that technique certainly brings back memories, in fact I still use it. But then I am a very average modeler. Welcome aboard. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1