Completed +++ PzKfw VI Ausf.B "Konigstiger" - Airfix 1:76 Scale +++

Bonhoff

Hi all,

Might seem quite late in the day, but as I went away on a break with my family to Lincolnshire for a few days, I took this with me to work on over a couple of evenings.

My Tiger construction history is somewhat limited - Failed to complete a 1:76th Fujimi Tiger as a child (Think the tracks defeated me) then more recently a couple of Zvezda wargame tanks and Meng's Cartoon Tiger.

No "proper" efforts in that lot then...

This is Airfix's recent King Tiger which I hoped would be a simple build despite there being 46 wheels!

48547235146_d23865d33c_c.jpg

48547234691_a64b941e8c_c.jpg

Do you know what? It has been so far - A couple of evening's work is all that it has taken to get here.

48547385717_8eb6f9182e_c.jpg

48547385047_971dd95283_c.jpg

48547230651_37053c3fd6_c.jpg

48547618667_444727afee_c.jpg

The only thing to note is that the tracks are a bit of a pain - rather than the classic welded pin approach, these have had to be glued with CA but would recommend sewing the joints with invisible thread for good measure. I also stretched the tracks a little to relieve strain on the joint.

48547228501_f5d5f503a9_c.jpg

48547228536_675edff246_c.jpg

Brush painted with Humbrol primer base coat, I then realised that the shade of Humbrol that I was using to represent Dunkelgelb wasn't correct.

I had a pot of Vallejo Dark Yellow but find the greenish cast it displays a bit unpleasant - The only replacement I could find was Revell 88 Ochre so went with that for the topcoat. Vallejo Chocolate Brown and German Camouflage Green completed this phase of the painting. 

I was truly thankful to discover that the wheels on King Tiger's didn't have rubber tyres 🙂

Hopefully more progress tonight now I'm back home.

KR's 

IanJ 

• Like 4

Looking good Ian, hopefully we shall see this one in the gallery? The dunkelgelb question is like the field grey question which one is correct? There are many different shades depending on which company makes the paint, not sure there is a correct answer. The only correct answers Is did you enjoy the build?

• Thanks 1

Not sure why I was so concerned about the correct shade of Dunkelgelb now...

Never had a go at a winter scheme before so said to myself "What's the worst that can happen?"

This evening's efforts back at home as follows. 

1. Coat of Klear.

2. Pick up a tin of hairspray while doing the weekly shop - Da Laydeez chez Bonhoff don't use the stuff.

3. Spray coat of hairspray. 

4. Make a whitewash coat using Vallejo Off White and Army Painter Wash Medium Mixer - put a couple of coats on tank.

5. Wait for paint to dry.

6. Wet a cotton bud and stiff brush and proceed to remove whitewash where required.

7. Retouch the whitewash where I felt the chipping was a bit OTT. 

8. A coat of Citadel Agrax Earthshade takes the edge off things at the end.

Et Voila! 

48554936982_e2c8e65489_c.jpg

48554936987_7eb589e5e2_c.jpg

Need to get this finished tomorrow as I'm meant to be going to see Skunk Anansie play on Sunday night.

KR's 

IanJ 

• Like 5

Final task was to paint the tracks a rusty colour, followed by a brown wash and drybrushed gunmetal to the raised tread detail.

And she's done!

48560551242_4a6104384c_c.jpg

48560414321_2e1779acb0_c.jpg

As to be expected from Airfix armour kits, a reasonably quick build but I wish that they'd have the tow cables and major tools as separate parts on this - It seems very old skool to still have them moulded on the hull.

KR's

IanJ 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, diases said:

As a fellow KT with whitewash, I like the effect better than my attempt.

Looks really good, especially for such a small scale

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comment.

Looks like we have both done the same subject "Anneliese" - Yours looks good too, I like your whitewash finish which I would say looks like that it was closer to its initial application, whereas mine has a few months wear on it.

KR's

IanJ

Weak as I am..... I have found the energy to say that this is a lovely winter KT. Just because it looks good.... doesn't mean to say it isn't good!

I haven't used the hairspray technique since the 80s but I am probably going to use it on my Tiger in the next few days. I CAN'T believe how good yours looks on a 1/72nd model. I'd have thought it'd completely overpower it.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Badder - It was my first attempt at the technique and to be honest, I think I was a little bit lucky.

As it had been brush painted I think it came off in slightly larger pieces than if it had been airbrushed so I stopped as soon as the whitewash came off. ...

IanJ 

3 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Thanks @Badder - It was my first attempt at the technique and to be honest, I think I was a little bit lucky.

As it had been brush painted I think it came off in slightly larger pieces than if it had been airbrushed so I stopped as soon as the whitewash came off. ...

IanJ 

Hi Ian,

I think you may have noticed two references to Skunk Anansie songs? Whatever, there's no such thing as luck in our hobby. There are many happy accidents though!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Your kit reminds me a lot of a Kingtiger I built in the late 70's. I can't remember if it was a ESCI kit or Fujimi. I think it was 1/76 but I'm not 100% sure.

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Ian,

I think you may have noticed two references to Skunk Anansie songs? Whatever, there's no such thing as luck in our hobby. There are many happy accidents though!

Rearguards,

Badder

I did thanks - Managed to get to the gig and have to say that it was an awesome show!

IanJ

• Like 1