1955 Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer

On the 25th June 1955 at Prestwick the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer first took to the air. Some 4 months earlier a few miles away in an Ayrshire hospital I made my entrance to the world.  So with such close geographical gestation and delivery to the world a Twin Pin seems appropriate. However,  my relationship with this aircraft is not just timing and geography. Although my father was  a PO airframe articifer in the Royal Navy when I was born he finished his term in the Fleet Air Arm not much long afterwards. He then went to work at Scottish Aviation where amongst other aircraft he worked upon was the Twin Pioneer. So the fact my dad helped build a number of the Twin Pioneers makes this a must do aircraft for me. 

I bought the Combat Kits Twin Pioneer at Telford last year as I had always wanted to build one as a tribute to my father. I know Valom have just introduced an injection moulded version but it is quite expensive and I suspect it will not just fall together, so I'll stick with the resin kit. 

resized_e8ad0d95-fbca-4ef9-9238-c5fe984c

I think this is the old Magna kit but on opening the box the resin looks much more refined. Hopefully it should go together with epoxy and cyano with minimal amounts of swearing. On opening the box there are two large bags of resin parts and two small bags of parts. 

resized_97615ba1-0b6a-4aea-8621-cb5afe8c

resized_edd18d88-ea4e-4f5f-ae1b-304bf869

A further bag has some white metal parts and a bag of clear resin parts for the transparencies. Hurray! No vac formed canopies. 

resized_488750e3-51d2-4c24-9e66-dd68f391

Instructions are basic

resized_d0377a0d-fa52-4b64-b6cc-bed69013

but there's a great transfer sheet

resized_1c7c9b9f-0c7b-42d1-8ae8-ed3c63ed

With transfers for 6 versions,  4 RAF, 1from the Empire Test Pilots School and a civilian version. 

resized_e58b062f-f5b9-4046-8695-72bf32cb

resized_d03c2354-939b-4b30-af8c-d506c9f9

• Like 9

Welcome aboard 825. Who would have thought that a Twin Pin would qualify for a GB entry? Glad you’ve taken the plunge to join us and nominate a mighty fine project to boot. 

Cheers.. Dave 

A very nice choice.  The only problem is that I was planning to do a Twin Pin for my year of 1956 - the year it entered RAF service! 

I'll have to think again :winkgrin:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CliffB said:

A very nice choice.  The only problem is that I was planning to do a Twin Pin for my year of 1956 - the year it entered RAF service! 

I'll have to think again :winkgrin:

Cheers

Cliff

On a technicality, that still qualifies Cliff so I’ll still give your build the blessing should you wish to go that way. Hard to imagine two Twin Pins building built here! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got off and going a little while ago but been busy finishing off other GBs so haven't taken any photos until now. Cleaned up all the major parts and removed the moulding blocks. Also tidied up a fair few smaller bits. 

resized_8ba048ea-53f6-44a7-8297-d64f2bb2

The surface detail detail is neat and restrained. Also the resin is nice and smooth as well as well moulded. Unlike many Magna kits there doesn't seem to be any bent and twisted parts. The white metal parts are equally well moulded for a small operation. I recall trying to fashion undercarriage parts and props out of great chunks of white metal for my Dove of a couple of years ago. 

resized_d8f98a5d-461b-4493-bbe8-fd9752d8

Now to get some paint on. I'll not worry too much about the interior as apart from the cockpit little will be seen. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Not done much on the Twin Pin for the last month with Holidays and some other stuff, but now all the major parts have been cleaned up and some paint has been slapped on. I did think about buying one of the Valom interiors but the thought of even more resin and fettling to fit made me see sense. Also I doubt much will be seen inside as the windows are small and most underneath the wing anyway. I've used matt black as my research suggests that for the interior of military Twin Pins; usually I would have used something a little lighter such as Revell's Anthracite but I'll use it along with some Aluminium dry brushing to highlight the cockpit. There's a bit more preparation needed (and I'll have to find the epoxy. I think it's too heavy for cyano for many parts) but should be able to start putting bits together soon. 

resized_017bbfa6-57a5-4f8b-afdc-b29f3049

• Like 5

I think Matt Black for the interior is more than adequate here. It'll be hard to see anything through those windows and it'll all be time that you could have spent elsewhere. Good to see some progress here and all the best getting this one done. 

Cheers.. Dave