The Silver Spitfire G-IRTY

On 12/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, Max Headroom said:

I’ve been following this and I really hope that someone has filmed it for the tellybox.

G-IRTY is now a legit historic artefact in her own right and I hope she stays in her current scheme permanently.

Trevor

Hello Trevor, this aircraft will fly in this colors for the 2020 season and after that it will be getting another historic scheme ...

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jon020 said:

There wasn't a back up aircraft; pictures that appeared previously were I think photoshopped. Or did they briefly paint BRSF in silver? But, only G-IRTY was equipped for the trip.

If you go back through the Boultbee blurb, this aircraft was touted as the back-up:

1a

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

ask on the Spinner,

Hi Chris, thanks for that. Good read?? 

That spinner is a bit of a challenge. 

Mine is still dismantle-able. 

As my usual, the prop is on an Ali tube shaft to fit in the bigger tube in the front of the fuselage. 

Removing the prop is handy for cleaning and polish on the foil. 

It also spins like a beauty!! 😊

Here's the layout... 

IMG_20191222_180151

The spinner itself was done in 2 parts. The collar around the blade cutouts trimmed to the line, and then the front wrapped around following the natural angle and trimmed along the line 

That piece needs a tidy join. 

The edge of the backplate is done separately. 

IMG_20191222_180210

The spinner on it's shaft can go in the cordless drill for polishing. This makes quite a difference! 

So I'm wondering if I can leave it like this so the blades can be removed. And just tack the parts together for display. 

Still in the process! 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Chris, thanks for that. Good read?? 

Hi Rob, no worries fella, yes very interesting Indeed, thanks for the info too, that makes sense. I did try to foil parts of a kit, but didn't have much success, but I have a large supply of the foil tape (been doing a loft conversion) so want to make use of it.  I have started a Severely P35 kindly given to me by a fellow BMer and am considering using the foil but if all goes wrong I could do the racer instead, we will have to see only at preparing some parts stage at the mo and bench time is not what it used to be at the mo either so will take time until ready to foil. I will see if I can find something to practice on in the meantime.

Thank you for sharing and I will have to re visit your C45 thread for tips and hints.

Hope you have a great Christmas.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rob, just don't want to de-rail the thread, but I finished mine up over the Holidays:

spacer.png

spacer.png

As I said earlier, I modeled mine after the early publicity photos that were seen floating around. Good luck with the rest of your build!

SB

• Like 8

1 hour ago, StevenBills said:

finished

Looks good! 👍 @StevenBills

Who's decals did you get? 

Options seem to be MrDecal (Eastern Europe) or drawdecal in the US 

Your "roundels", did they have a white background on the lettering?? 

And were there any prop blade decals included? 

I'm going to have to go with one of these options I think. 

Advice? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Looks good! 👍 @StevenBills

Who's decals did you get? 

Options seem to be MrDecal (Eastern Europe) or drawdecal in the US 

Your "roundels", did they have a white background on the lettering?? 

And were there any prop blade decals included? 

I'm going to have to go with one of these options I think. 

Advice? 

Thanks! Yeah I went with Mr. Decal. And it did come with some decals for the props, but I botched one of them and decided to just scrap the lot. And the roundels do have a white background on them, which is nice.

SB

49 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

my AZ kit of this Spitfire.

OK good one, John. 

The AZ is 1.72, isn't it? 

What do you get for the wings? I'm guessing you have to deal with cannon blisters. Any post-war wheel well bumps incl.? 

5 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I can't find a homepage for him in English. Or anything that I can use to communicate. 

How do I get hold of him?? 

Just go to this site: https://mrdecal.zolnierowi.cz/pricing/lotnictwo 

Hit ctrl + F to Find on Page, and search for SILVER. That should bring you down to the Silver Spitfire. The reference number is MD119. Then you email him at a.fiedotow (at) gmail dot com and tell him you're interested in a set of decals with reference number MD119, and in 1/48 scale. He responded promptly to my email. Good luck!

SB

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

What do you get for the wings?

1/72nd, yes...It also seems to be a completely different, perhaps new, set of moulds.  

No blisters at all on the wings and very clean moulding.  

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@John D.C. Masters do keep us updated with any progress on the AZ kit!

I have a set of decals coming, I hope, from Mr Decal. 

So I'm having a look at where I left off and getting things tidied up ready for the final round. 

I made a stand, well a base. Sort of general purpose type with an aluminium panel on wood. 

And the shiny Spitfire looks quite tidy sitting on it. 

IMG_20200121_223218

IMG_20200121_223305

IMG_20200121_224141

I'm not one for posing a model on a mirror, and I'm not about to start now. This is just a bit of cleaned up Ali sheet, but it does throw a nice bit of light around. 

In a rush of enthusiasm previously, I decided to cut open the access hatch in the fuselage.......... 

Hmmmm.... 

I have made a new hatch door, but to be honest, I think it's a daft idea now, and I'm in the process here of fitting the door permanently closed. Apart from any other considerations, the port decoration roundel extends onto the hatch panel and I don't really want to be cutting chunks out of that. 

I got a set of wheel chocks made and glued to the tyres, after making a couple of flat spots to settle the tyres onto the ground. 

Also got the surfboard shaped antiglare panel drawn on, masked up and painted. 

Just a bit of a waiting game now.... 

😎

• Like 6

Hello Rob, just cought up with your Spiffy looking Spit...

Got the same decalset as well and it looks pretty good and I just need to find some time to fit it into my schedule this year haha

Looking forward in seeing yours finished on that wonderfull looking base👍

cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fly Past March 2020. 

FB_IMG_1580506078464

MrDecal sheet working well so far... 

IMG_20200131_235451

IMG_20200131_235530

I'd better take it nice and slow.... Nerves on edge already! 

The old ICM Spit comes with a Merlin, mountings and oil tank. Anyone fancy a go...?? Better do a link to this..... 

https://images.app.goo.gl/JsLLNmfZHdzJCCTx9

Looks like that one was taken in Canada 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Correct link
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I'm afraid I need to revisit this project after some considerable time. I thought I would have trouble finding it in the archives, but the term "G-IRTY" in the search function came up with build, no problem. 

I never really signed this one off and stuck her in the galleries. In fact I kind of fell over at the last fence. 

I gave myself a bit of a fright with the decals to be honest, and "lost my bottle" so to speak. Also I'd cut that darn hatch out on the port side, then decided it was a poor idea and tried to remake the hatch in the closed position. This ended up as a fail and of course the port roundel Decal has to go partly over the hatch. 

So I froze, while the plane itself completed the Asia /Europe leg in a flash and the next thing I knew was G-IRTY and the team were back in Goodwood, the show was over, and any sense of completion on time went straight out of the window! 

And I went on to work on many other projects. 

Well, the time has come and I'm in the frame of mind to redeem the situation, or crash in the process. This is the bugbear.... 

IMG_20210215_184425

Surrounded by foil, I couldn't get it looking right or feeling level with the fuselage side. Eventually it had to come out, and I had another go. 

Réalisation finally dawned that the whole panel needed to be peeled off so I could work on the plastic. 

IMG_20210215_223751

Two backing strips were glued in the inside of the opening and a nice new hatch fabricated to suit. 

And in it went. 

IMG_20210215_224347

Surfaces made good and one piece of foil over the lot..... 

IMG_20210216_002308

One major mental hurdle cleared 😅

While that was in the process, I sorted a few things that had been left. A fuel filler cap in the tube that comes through the rear canopy, and black filler caps for the 4 wing tanks. 

The u/c leg that I broke is refitted with a pin included 🤞...... You know, things like that! 😬

So this is it.... I need to face the decals. 

I think this is bigger in my head than it is in reality. Faint heart......... 😎

Here we go, gallery or BUST 

• Like 6

Right, 2nd round fuselage Decal is on. 

IMG_20210216_224029

I spent a bit of time with the windscreen and sliding canopy piece, getting the frames foiled to match the rest of the metalwork. The front screen itself was done with a wide strip over the front and curling on the top panel - then the screen area was cut around and peeled off. 

IMG_20210216_224954

Clearly visible there is the remnants of the previous decalling crisis with the "IWC" lettering. Darn thing folded on itself in that way where it won't UN-fold no matter what you do...... You probably are familiar with what I'm talking about 🤪

Fortunately I'd left quite a bit of margin of the carrier and I got the foldage transferred into that corner clear of the crucial white lettering. Left it to dry completely and then scraped the fold part away, taking some of the black with it. 

That's okay, I can do black....... I can't do white lettering! 

So, nice and steady with this - I've got 2 Union flags complete with separate white backgrounds, 2 reg strips, and 4 prop blade details, oh and one more IWC logo. I should have a rear view mirror somewhere....... 🤔

• Like 4