The Silver Spitfire G-IRTY

Looking great, Rob!

Just thought I'd pop in here to add a few reference photos. G-IRTY is in Seattle for maintenance, and so my dad was able to hop over and see her in person. He shared these photos with me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just thought I'd share.

SB

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I have the u/c sorted and she's up on her feet. 

IMG_20190904_121542

Always feels like a bit of a moment, doesn't it? 

That's just the prop from the old ICM Spit popped in the front. I had a go at foiling and polishing the spinner with the blades still in place, which is tricky enough. 

One thing about having a standardised Ali tube system for the props is, I can swap them around and substitute. 

I'll try and get the Eduard prop spinner sorted before the blades go on. 

There are 2 little critters that fit in the tail end over the elevator piece, like a couple of little arches. 

What a pain they are!!! 

I got one in, and this is the other one stuck to a piece of sprue for a handle, for another go. 

It's quite close to being abandoned! 

IMG_20190904_120042

Those are great pictures from Seattle, @StevenBills. Thanks for that.

She's getting around alright! 

• Like 5

The Eduard prop assembly is modified now to take the Ali tube shaft, and I've got foil on the spinner and the edge of the backplate. 

IMG_20190906_110330

Having polished it up, it can come apart and the blades fitted. 

IMG_20190906_110647

Quite a tricky item to foil, it's the ultimate compound curve, and there's no hiding place on the nose!! 

• Like 8

Good one @Biggu. Thanks for that.

I heard someone in East Europe has something going, in 1.72 at least. 

I'm hoping for a design solution and get them laser printed but if that doesn't come off the drawdecal solution looks good. 

US postage is a bit of a crippler though. 

I hear great things about his product and service for sure. 

I see he's even got 4 prop blades details included on the sheet. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Good one @Biggu. Thanks for that.

I heard someone in East Europe has something going, in 1.72 at least. 

I'm hoping for a design solution and get them laser printed but if that doesn't come off the drawdecal solution looks good. 

US postage is a bit of a crippler though. 

I hear great things about his product and service for sure. 

I see he's even got 4 prop blades details included on the sheet. 

Rob, you can't go wrong dealing with Greg, he has been really good to me, and his products are excellent......maybe contact him directly and see if you can cut a better postage deal....... timing was kind of dead on for this one , I thought....

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Hello Rob,

small advice on those decals..although Greg’s decals are usually top notch there is a difference between the Drawdecal set and the one from mr.decal..( in all respect i love those drawdecalsets).

Although it appear to be that the text and globe of the logo is silver ( also the iws schaffhousen in the antiglare panel ) but in fact it is white...

And as far is i can see the Drawdecalset doesn’t contain the white, the mr.decal does and is correct..you can always ask Greg at Drawdecal if it contains the white as he didn’t design the set himself..

I have the idea that his set is based on the indoor display spitfire which indeed lacks this white in the logo’s.

Follow this for a good pic of the original...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/48139075826/in/photostream/

Here a linky to the mr.decal set md119

https://mrdecal.zolnierowi.cz/pricing/lotnictwo

you will have to scroll the page for the g-irty decals.. it costed me just a tenner to print and send it over to me ..

And love what you are doing with your Spit👍

cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

( also the iws schaffhousen in the antiglare panel ) but in fact it is white...

Yes I spotted that, Jan. 

There's quite a lot of pre-launch promotional material around which doesn't stack up against the airframe on the journey. 

If and when my A plan comes off, they'll be laser printed on clear, and the idea is to get a white background on first as required. 

I've dealt with this before, on the TAB tail logo on the Curtiss C46. 

IMG_20190503_211842

Studying the Spitfire logo, there's a white circle with the lettering and I think it's white too, along with the letters. 

Always hard to tell on such a reflective surface. 

So a skinny white circle may be required under the printed disc. 

I have got the refurbished ICM model as a testbed! 

I guess this would work as a solution for the drawdecal version as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A good place, perhaps, to re-share StevenBills' Dad's picture in the hanger in Seattle, kindly shared already at the top of this page.... 

YMhNnfz.jpg

I've also noticed the fuel filler cap for the rear tank, fitted in the canopy..... It's really quite dark, some might say black. 

I wonder if it's suggesting the caps on the wing tanks are in the same material or style.....?? 

My paint dots were OK, but they come off in a metal polishing situation. 

I think I'll drill them a bit, just a little V countersink in the surface that can be filled with a dot of something. 

I think I'll do a test on the ICM wings and see if it's OK. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Studying the Spitfire logo, there's a white circle with the lettering and I think it's white too, along with the letters. 

Always hard to tell on such a reflective surface. 

Id say white lettering in the black circle. The letters don't reflect like the polished aluminum does. 

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I've also noticed the fuel filler cap for the rear tank, fitted in the canopy..... It's really quite dark, some might say black. 

I wonder if it's suggesting the caps on the wing tanks are in the same material or style.....?? 

Id say dark grey, something like extra dark sea grey. It doesn't match the black of the circle artwork on the rear fuselage. Thats my :2c: worth. Shes looking very good so far Rob, keep the good work coming. 

Dennis 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just biding my time on this as I'm most of the way with the main Eduard build. 

Having a fiddly with the old ICM airframe too, and waiting for the decal plan to come together.

I'm going with Obermartin and his epic graphics skills, and I was well impressed and pleased with my laser printed decal sheet last time. 

These guys are really cracking on though!!! 

Model building.....?? 

Just a little bit of a distraction..... 

IMG_20190919_235639

IMG_20190919_235545

It's the old Heller Delage D8 

A source of great fun, and I even got the steering to work! 

Mechanisms, aren't they great?? 

I did use the "spray can on decal paper" method for the yellow panels, over white plastic. I didn't really fancy masking that big curve on the door each side. 

Think it worked OK. 

Anyway, soon with the Silver Spitfire 😎

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Steven. 

Just waiting for the decal design so I can get a laser print and stick'em on. Otherwise she's just about done. I'll probably print 2 times and try out on the old ICM airframe too. 

Still messing around with Lockheed Twins civilian style, and a couple of us are trying to figure out how to make a civvy Lodestar out of the 1.48 PV1 Ventura kit..... 🤔

Soon 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm going to take the easy way out though... 
Just need to fix the wheel bulges. 

y4mwMBfEtOibpC6mWiujPz9MOC6apSQAAlSkZL-A

Saw her coming in for landing yesterday afternoon, just too late (traffic jam!) for pictures. 
She did a short hop around the block today, and the team just announced they plan to arrive back at Goodwood Thursday 5th, around 11.30 AM.

y4mNyYpCCSY7EDvb7abKvQA8F2hbeywbQI8wcS2Z

Track log & flight track: 
https://www.silverspitfire.com/about/flight-tracker/

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 2

I’ve been following this and I really hope that someone has filmed it for the tellybox.

G-IRTY is now a legit historic artefact in her own right and I hope she stays in her current scheme permanently.

Trevor

• Like 1

On 03/12/2019 at 19:09, alt-92 said:

I'm going to take the easy way out though... 
Just need to fix the wheel bulges. 

y4mwMBfEtOibpC6mWiujPz9MOC6apSQAAlSkZL-A

Out of interest, did the silver-painted backup aircraft ever fly in these colours? Might be easier to replicate than the highly-polished version :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what happened to my post. I'll try to remember what I wrote. It's wonderful to see this subject bring modelled.... I just bought a profipack Mk9 thinking I'd create my own, in 1:72 (as my preferred scale) but I'm not sure as the cockpit panel would need tweaking to accommodate the dual Garmin G5s and GPS in the centre... the intercom/VHF and the fuel flowmeter that were squeezed in. The rear tank is the one for the low back MkXVI which is why it doesn't fill the entire rear space that the one for the high back aircraft would have done. It's what was available. It's split top and bottom, 33 gal each. The fuselages polished finish, especially on the patina of the original skins I think is so much more interesting than a polished smooth new skin... it shows its history. The wings had my fingers prints on them... but only before it flew. Great that it's succeeded it it's trip. Restored by an incredibly professional team of experts and flown on its adventure by some strong and brave individuals. All worthy of praise. 

Your model is lovely... I can't wait to see it completed. I'll have to get some transfers and see what I can sort myself.

Thanks for sharing your superb work.

Jonathan

On 06/12/2019 at 13:56, Sabrejet said:

Out of interest, did the silver-painted backup aircraft ever fly in these colours? Might be easier to replicate than the highly-polished version :)

There wasn't a back up aircraft; pictures that appeared previously were I think photoshopped. Or did they briefly paint BRSF in silver? But, only G-IRTY was equipped for the trip.

Edited by Jon020
Tweak to text re BRSF

24 minutes ago, Jon020 said:

Or did they briefly paint BRSF in silver?

I think that's what happened. 

A "presence" was required at a major event by the sponsor, to launch and raise the profile of the project and G-IRTY was in deep maintenance. 

But the graphics guys turned out quite a bit of creative artwork for the promotional stuff and it confuses the research . 

I don't know if there's a decal set available for 1.72 

You're right, it was an excellent adventure for sure. Don't know how the watchmakers faired, I'm sure it did them good, but it's certainly put the Boultbee org on the world map!! 

A pity they missed the southern half of the world. There are some great restoration projects and enthusiasts in NZ and Oz. 

I really need to finish mine 😁

22 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I don't know if there's a decal set available for 1.72 

DrawDecal. Pick your scale, they're all there.

Don't know if the background on the fuselage emblem is fixed to white or if it's still transparent/silver.