The Silver Spitfire G-IRTY

First steps with the foil, 

IMG_20190823_140254

IMG_20190823_140310

This is going to have to be my shiniest effort yet. 

There are some very fine rivet details that Eduard have applied nicely on the mouldings, and they are so lightly done they'd disappear under anything but the very lightest airbrush painting. 

I'm not getting any trace of them through the foil so far. 

Still, as modellers say, we know they're in there! 😎

• Like 6

I have the habit of fitting propellers in a removable style with 2 sizes of Ali tubes and I'll be doing the same on this one. 

For one thing it makes cleaning and polishing easier and safer. 

Looking at the kit and instructions it looks like Eduard have missed the detail on here. 

There's a hole in the front of the fuselage, and a hole in the back of the Spinner plate.... Doh! 

Strke that.... I just found the shaft in the back of the prop....!! 

Anyway, it's going to be replaced with the smaller dia. tube, to slide into the larger dia. tube that's now fitted in the engine bay. 

IMG_20190823_182735

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

filling them in on the wing leading edges

Well, they're there, but again very fine. I don't think they'll be any trouble. 

I did start to find a few of them on the fin etc, and others along the wing fairings and so on are a bit more pronounced. 

The fuselage is covered now, 

IMG_20190824_235634

IMG_20190824_235705

I need to be careful about keeping the mating surfaces clean and unfoiled, for the wings and tail. 

The kit is made to very fine tolerances and everything fits just right so far, but a layer or two of the foil jammed in a joint could throw the whole thing out. 

It's inert to poly glue anyway so I tend to keep them clean anyway. 

I couldn't resist having a go at the access hatch in the side. 

But now I'm not so sure....! 

FB_IMG_1566678613918

Some disquiet on the Facebook page about the schedule and variation from the list of stops. 

There's a lot of USA citizens wondering where she's going to rock up next. 

And best laid plans being abandoned! 

How's it looking for you @Corsairfoxfouruncle??

They are away down South somewhere now. 

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

How's it looking for you @Corsairfoxfouruncle??

They are away down South somewhere now. 

Yes seems the scheduled stops got tossed in the bin. They never got close to Indiana from what i can tell. I don't know why they changed some of the scheduled stops. I can understand delays due to weather and mechanicals. However to just completely change stops seems bad for publicity. Oh well i guess it wasn't meant to be for me to see her. 

• Sad 1

Looking like they have made Nellis AFB, Las Vegas. 26.Aug 

There's a revised schedule published, but most of it is "TBA" 

This should link to their statement 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 1

Here's the shot of the extra tank being filled through the window. 

IMG_20190827_001210

I selected the "flattened"  exhaust stubs for this plane, painted up and fitted with a couple of Reinforcement strips across. 

IMG_20190826_225317

I've had these come loose in the past. 

IMG_20190826_225332

Now the top panel can be fixed 

IMG_20190827_000945

Looks quite chunky, but then there is a 24l supercharged V12 under the bonnet! 

It's dawning on me that these machines really were single seat Hotrods! 

Wing under side is in the process, and Tailplanes are foiled and fitted. As expected they're a perfect fit. 

Foil inside the radiator areas, and the outsides will be foiled in place. 

IMG_20190827_000919

The wing panel is just popped into place here. 

I should say this is the replacement wing set courtesy of @malpasowith the right fitting for the intake, and the wheel well modification on the top of the wing.

Thanks again for these, Will. Just the job! 

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, CedB said:

what you're using for the foil

It's the sticky back Ali tape that builders and plumbers use for insulation and all sorts. 

Much tougher than kitchen foil etc and rediculously cheap per airframe! 

I'll include a quick explanation when I'm back on it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@CedBit's this stuff, and a bunch of totally clapped out manicure bendy boards... I mean REALLY knackered!!

And clogged. My "best" one can be used for polishing transparencies. 

IMG_20190827_215334

I covered quite a bit of technique in various builds, this one could be a useful read... 

Been having an issue with fitting the wing bottom to the fuselage. 

Don't know if I've messed up the cockpit assembly a fraction but the kit design leaves NO tolerances between the internals and the wing centre section. 

The back end of the wing fairings is very finely sculpted and need to mate perfectly, or to wing tops won't be sitting properly as they meet the fuselage. 

I've abraded the cockpit floor and framework and the wing centre section, very fine trimming on the fairing faces, and I think I'm getting there. 

IMG_20190827_212847

But boy are things tight inside there. I'm wondering if my cockpit tub had slipped a fraction off the marks on the fuselage sides, but I can't really see anything and it looks OK internally, instrument panel up nice and tight etc. 

Be warned.... Eduard apply a policy of Zero Tolerance on parts clearances! 

Let's see if I can get the u/c well structure assembled and fitted before I raise a cheer! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20190827_232706

7 pieces for each well, plus the main spar. 

Think I've nailed it. Always read the label!! Several similar parts on the sprue and it's all very handed, so I meticulously followed the numbers and did one side at a time. 

And they seem to tie up with ribs etc in the wing top mouldings. 

I've always got a bit of R&R for when the going gets tough! 

IMG_20190827_215530

Mmmmmmm..... 

😎

• Like 6

Thanks Rob - I've looked through the Expeditor build and it's impressive! I'll have to give the Ali tape a try - bookmarked!

Eduard kits do have very tight tolerances and you're not the first to have problems with the wing fit. That said you've overcome the other issue - the spilt in the top cover on the nose; apparently it's moulded in two halves to allow for differences in the marks but it is a PAIN!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, CedB said:

the top cover on the nose; apparently it's moulded in two halves to allow for differences in the marks but it is a PAIN!

That's right, two sides joined up the middle. 

You get 5 pieces though, so two and a half goes at doing it! 

There may be a tiny difference in the panels, but I'm darned if I can see a variation. 

My 2nd effort was better I must admit - a little more care in preparation and thin glue applied only in the inside. 

Didn't need much dressing after to get a presentable bonnet. 

Apart from 1 line across at the front, none of the micro detail rivets had any use to me. 

I'm having a go at sorting out the old ICM Spitfire and getting some spare parts from what's left in the Eduard box. 

IMG_20190828_222715

I don't think it is a Mk IX.... is it?? 

The reason is it has, or had, a retractable tailwheel with doors. 

I recall it had a choice of rudder, and I've used the wrong one to do G-IRTY 

I'm using the Eduard rudder as a pattern to make another pointed one. 

IMG_20190828_222824

Eduard ⬆️.   New clone ⬆️. Orig. ICM ⬆️

Spare Eduard tailwheel gets a new home too. 

Elevator tips reshaping done. 

I must say apart from the retractable wheel it's VERY similar to my new Mk IX here. Did later ones have a tailwheel mod?? 

I also remember the kit had a complete Merlin installation, but I couldn't get the panels to sit around it neatly. 

I had to trim bits off to get the front built. 

This was all a long time ago 5

• Like 3

On 25/08/2019 at 01:01, StevenBills said:

Wow! Foil?!

It's a favourite method of mine. 

This and rattle can spray gets me happily over many hurdles.  Airbrush seems like a whole other hobby to me! 

How are you getting on with your build, StevenBills?? 

Is it an Eduard kit or are you doing another? 

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

It's a favourite method of mine. 

This and rattle can spray gets me happily over many hurdles.  Airbrush seems like a whole other hobby to me! 

How are you getting on with your build, StevenBills?? 

Is it an Eduard kit or are you doing another? 

Hey Rob, 

Your build is looking great. I went ahead and made a build thread over on TheRPF if you want to go take a looksie. Yeah mine is the Eduard Mk IX.c "late" version. And right now I'm going through the hassle of getting rid of the massive seam on the top and bottom cowlings, and then I'm probably gonna add back the rivet detail later tonight.

So one thing that I noticed, is that they switched out the tails on G-IRTY as well. They used the more rounded version in their earlier marketing material, but on the actual flight, they're using the pointy one (technical terms, I know). I'm modeling their early version, so I'm glad I was looking at some reference when I clipped it off the sprue!

SB

• Like 1

Great stuff Steven. 

And good luck with the paint process. 

I thought your Late model wings might include the wheel well modification on top, along with the thin gun blisters. 

No luck with that. 

If you want to scratch them I can do clear pictures of the feature, but I think you're settled on that? 

You've chosen the right way forward..... Choose a picture or two of a particular stage in the airframe's development, and stick with it! 

Did you get grief while fitting the wing centre section onto the fuselage bottom? 

@Deano353 the stuff I'm using is already glued. It's the sticky back self adhesive foil. Just peel off the backing and straight onto the part, and burnish it down and find the panel lines etc.

It is a lot tougher than something like kitchen foil. 

I sometimes use a bit of kitchen foil as well, especially dull side up. 

So for example the the centre wing panels on the F86E here....

IMG_20190817_213238

..... are in kitchen foil stuck on top of the foiled wing. 

For that I'm using revell email gloss varnish (No 1 in the paint range) applied pretty thin. 

Also tried PVA glue with moderate success. 

But for the most part it's self-adhesive foil 

• Like 4