The Silver Spitfire G-IRTY

Hello Rob !!

Good idea !! When I saw her first time on the web ...

But you beat me on this one...

Then I still have 3 Spitfires on the go !!

I'll follow, Will stay quiet at the bar !!

Nice start man !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

None in shining bare metal...?? 😎

No, not on these 3...

I'll start some Mk V and Then !!

WP_20190807_20_53_16_Pro

it will be the Caldwell's one !! :evil_laugh:

CC

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yea I was looking at those, trying to figure them out. 

Reinforcement panels?? 

They don't exist in ordinary Mk IX wings, do they? 

I'm in 1.48 here by the way, no way I'm going to tackle these items in 72! 

They were introduced on post war aircraft ( I think ) and appear on lots of 'warbird' rebuilds. Their purpose was to add more depth to the wheel well for wider tyres.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not quite, they were to allow for different axle mounting angles for operation from hard surfaces.  This meant a slightly different angle as the tyre sat in the well.  IIRC Edgar Brooks found the modification details.  Some of the in-service spitfires had cutouts in the wing and patches added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am delighted to see someone building G-IRTY!  

There was an interview on the Dermot O'Leary BBC Radio 2 programme a few weeks ago.  It might still be on iPlayer.  One thing I do recall is that there was an additional fuel tank from one of the PR Spitfires that was fitted behind the cockpit.  The history is fascinating and I can only wish these guys the best of luck.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Not quite, they were to allow for different axle mounting angles for operation from hard surfaces.  This meant a slightly different angle as the tyre sat in the well.  IIRC Edgar Brooks found the modification details.  Some of the in-service spitfires had cutouts in the wing and patches added.

I knew I’d get it wrong! I thought the change in geometry came with the Mk V. Just ignore anything else I say.

John

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tim T said:

an additional fuel tank from one of the PR Spitfires

A-Ha! That's given us a clue, Tim 

Did the PR version get filled up in this style, through the side window? 

I'm still researching the wings for definitive info. 

Starting to think there's a fair bit of photoshop and image-conjuring going on 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StevenBills said:

So I was looking at photos again, and are these not cannon blisters?

spacer.png

To me these are blisters for the guns...

The other blisters are the same than the one found on some Seafire XVII and Spirfire XVI..

And it has been said that it was for the bigger wheels the 3 spoked one ..

I got to see !!

and Here I'm back see post #5 and the following explanations from Miggers !

I think that it will be easier to have a Mk XVI, now I can look in my numerous ICM parts if I have the right panel for you Rob

I mean the long and thin blisters, the one for the wheels, I'm sure that there are not !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

The rear fuselage tank can be seen here, along with some other items of interest. 

FB_IMG_1566294892060

Wing tanks in the gun bays, and the wheel well modification, but is there a skinny blister on top of the wing tank?? 

Too many reflections going on 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

( possibly ) 

Hold on there John 

That does look a bit photoshop @StevenBillsdoesn't it?

Certainly not shiny enough for current aircraft. Black walkways? 

Later.... OK black walkways, yes 🤭

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 1

I wonder if they changed it quite a bit after doling out a massive load of publicity photos.  It doesn’t look like the cannon bulges are there in the photo over the Statue of Liberty.  But sort of seem to maybe possibly be showing in the Vintage Wings of Canada photos???Also the normal fuel filler cap is obvious and silver in that photo, not visible in the vertical photo, the whip aeriel seems to have changed from red to silver too!  I think you need to pick a day in the flight when it’s photographed a lot and model that condition!

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1

Looking at the pictures of G-IRTY in the link I posted above in a least two of the pictures I am certain I can see the cannon blisters.

Roger

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback on this, guys. 

Pleased to say I now have a pair of wings with the wheel well blisters, and they have the skinny gun bumps.... Made to suit the  .50cal.machinegun option?? 

So I just got to decide between those or None..... 🤔

She'll look cool either way! 

What I have here is a fuel tank from the Boeing 247 that was Roscoe Turner's 1934 race plane, modified with strips of white poly to widen. 

IMG_20190822_140415

Something to work with. 

• Like 5

Since there are pics with and without, I'd say it doesn't matter, except for personal choice.

Although, if you make those panels interchangeable... Cut them out, have two sets of panels, one set with bulges and one set without, and set them in with magnets. Presto/change-o!

2 hours ago, StevenBills said:

another shot of G-IRTY

That's nice and clear, with the narrow bumps, but that's the wrong rudder and zoom on the reg letters.... It can't be "I" after the hyphen. 

So, looks like we've got 2 airframes involved in the Boultbee Project!! 

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

I'd say it doesn't matter, except for personal choice.

I'm coming to this conclusion Thom. 

I like the second thought as well, but it leaves some scope for things to go wrong! 

I'm going to pick a good photo - maybe that workshop one, above, - and stick with it. 

• Like 1

A quick look back here shows that I've chosen the wrong frame at the seatback position - it's closed in at the top. 

Probably armour. 

IMG_20190818_222913

Rather than wreck everything by pulling the assembly apart, I drilled and cut the plate out so it looked like the piece I should have used. part no.5. 

A bit more assembly, accommodation for the extra tank which required moving those two bottles (I believe they are compressed air for the pneumatic system) out of the way. 

IMG_20190822_220042

IMG_20190822_220105

They're back on now, a bit further to the rear. 

The tank will get a filler tube later, up to the window, when I get an idea of the relative positions. Once this lot is installed I can put the fuselage halves together. 

And instead of the gun sight, I need to make a little GPS gadget for the top of the dashboard. 

• Like 7