The Silver Spitfire G-IRTY

I've been reading up on the Round -the-World Spitfire project and I have to say I'm mighty impressed! 

And the images I'm seeing show a very good looking Mk IX with some great looking graphics. 

Some of you will know that buffed up bare metal planes are just the thing for me! 

So here's my Statement of Intent.... 

I'm going to do one! 

I've been down to KB Models in Havant today, quite spookily close by to the Boultbee Base at Goodwood. 

And I've got one of these.... 

IMG_20190815_172838

The box includes the Pointy Tailplane parts and various other options for wheels, exhaust stacks etc, and there may even be enough bits and bobs left to give my old derilict ICM Mark IX a makeover. 

I've got a few loose ends to tidy up first here, before I pile in to this, but it would be nice to get the build done before the end of epic flight schedule - back at Goodwood Aerodrome. 

They're going to be a while.... There's even a 14 day stopover scheduled in Hong Kong. They may need to reconsider this particular phase!! 😮

Quite a bit of coverage on the Net including a live feed flight tracker function, and copyright issues need to be born in mind, but I'll have a go at putting some links on. 

Right O. 

I'll be back on the case shortly.... 

😎

Edited by rob Lyttle
Correction
  • Like 15

Plastic is cut! 

I thought I'd better tackle the first obvious issue head on, in case it was a no go. 

The cannon blisters are moulded into the upper wing panels and need to come off. 

First effort at trimming out the blister itself proved tricky and I realised the simple way was to take out the whole panel. 

IMG_20190816_134309

Straight lines and much easier to get a fit with the replacement part. 

IMG_20190816_134509

I pressed a bit of a curve onto the poly piece over the edge of the table, a little bit of fine tuning with the emery board and in it went. 😮

Thin glue on the inside to try to keep the top surface clean, and it's a relief to clear that up 

IMG_20190816_134527

😅

• Like 12

Yes, I'm doing G-IRTY. No I don't have a thread, unfortunately. I did, however, make the decals and printed them off last week.

I'm about half-way done with the cockpit. Just doing a little bit each night. I'll definitely be watching your thread for more ideas!

SB

• Like 1

A lot of faffing around with many tiny pieces. 

IMG_20190818_222834

IMG_20190818_222913

IMG_20190818_222802

The seat is just placed on the supports to make sure I'm on the right track. 

All seems to fit accurately, even in my hands. 

The only mods I'm thinking of is omitting the armour plate and leave off the gun sight. 

Also selected the "other" Tailplanes according to the pictures I'm seeing. 

IMG_20190818_222817

I'm guessing that these are for the later version of the Mk IX. Along with the pointed rudder. 

Do you think these guys will be carrying oxygen bottles?? 

Doubtful, really. They seem to be stooging along at a couple of thousand feet and taking in the scenery and Photo-opportunities! 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 4

Well, it's a slightly reduced chance of loosing something, in my head anyway! 

And it can be almost an extra hand.... 

I think I've found a bit of a snag with the parts provided. 

Clearly I need the bigger air intake under the front of the fuselage. 

And I have the 2 parts together. 

IMG_20190818_233900

Here it is sitting in front of the wlng. 

The wing, you can see, is marked to take the little intake, and the piece needed to blend this panel with the big intake into the wing underside doesn't seem to be provided. 

May be that Eduard supply a whole other wing panel suitably moulded for the later Mk IX. 

Not the end of the world, I'll have to scratch something when the time comes. 

Bit of a shame though, to have all the parts except one! 

• Like 6

Not 100% sure but I think G-IRTY has a fuel tank fitted behind the pilots seat, I seam to recall seeing a picture of it being filled through an access port in the rear fixed part of the canopy on the left hand side.

Roger

• Thanks 1

Rob, the wing sprue and fuselage sprue are the bits that determine which kit you have.  All the detail and canopy sprues are common to all Eduard Spits.  Same methodology in 1/72 ones too.  The Profipack Bubbletop XVI even has two sets of wings to allow for different wheel bulges on different aircraft.  Someone who's built that may be able to supply an underside wing spare, as the back of the intake is part of it.  That area is the same on late IXs and XVIs.

I can check tonight if my 1/48 XVI dual combo has the spare wings, I know the 1/72 boxing does not.

Cheers 

Will

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1

I had a quick look at the Silver Spitfire website and there's a video here where she peels away at 0:29 showing the intake. HTH

They also have an Instagram account with LOADS of photos including the restoration…

See this Instagram photo by @thesilverspitfire

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz-rnglBB7j/?utm_source=ig_web_button_native_share

Article in The Telegraph about the first week here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

a picture of it being filled through an access port in the rear fixed part of the canopy on the left hand side.

You're right @Hamden, good call.

Trying to figure out if I need the tank or just the filler details later.. 

Thanks Will, that's what I figured. 

If the rest of the wing details underneath are similar I'm minded to just scratch a fairing - bear in mind all guns are removed. 

Ced there's some great info on line and I've even ventured hesitantly into Instagram! 

I may close it again after the flight.... if its possible. What a load of garbage 

I did watch Kevin Bridges the other night. He's got something to say about it!!! 😂

• Like 1

Having replaced the cannon blister panels, will you also add the small ‘ teardrop ‘ blisters above the wheel wells as seen on G-IRTY?

I found the cockpit interior bits quite fiddly on the 1/48 versions, so they must be a real challenge in 1/72!

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

teardrop ‘ blisters above the wheel wells as seen on G-IRTY?

Yea I was looking at those, trying to figure them out. 

Reinforcement panels?? 

They don't exist in ordinary Mk IX wings, do they? 

I'm in 1.48 here by the way, no way I'm going to tackle these items in 72!