Applying Gloss Clear

Modelman9912

I am finishing up my Tamiya F-14D Tomcat and plan on adding the decals soon.  I understand that I should apply a gloss clear coat before applying decals.  Should I apply the gloss coat to only the areas where decals will be placed?  Or to maintain a consistent look, should I coat the entire plane in gloss clear?

It is NOT necessary to apply a gloss coat before applying decals, Watch this excellent decal tutorial from a master:

And here is the video on surface preparation referenced in the above video:

Edited by Space Ranger
Add'l. info.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I apply an all over gloss coat, decal (using the Micro Sol and Set solutions), another gloss coat over that, weathering then matt coat. If you aren't going ro weather then no need to gloss over the decals, you can go straight to satin or matt (whatever final effect you prefer). I wouldn't advise weathering over a matt coat as it isn't easy to remove if you overdo it.

• Like 1

The requirement is that you apply decals to a GLOSS finish. The above examples provide a variety of methods of achieving that. I know one modeller who achieves outstanding results with micro mesh and clear nail varnish, but he gives about 20 coats, and sands between each one.

TBH, I slap on a coat of Klear with a broad flat brush. It's quick, easy, and requires, thankfully, no great skill.

It gives me a level gloss finish that does the job, and I follow the decalling with another coat.

As I don't attempt to produce Gold standard models for competitions, it serves it's purpose. I don't go around making you tube videos of how I do it either.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2019 at 3:15 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

The requirement is that you apply decals to a GLOSS finish. The above examples provide a variety of methods of achieving that. I know one modeller who achieves outstanding results with micro mesh and clear nail varnish, but he gives about 20 coats, and sands between each one.

TBH, I slap on a coat of Klear with a broad flat brush. It's quick, easy, and requires, thankfully, no great skill.

It gives me a level gloss finish that does the job, and I follow the decalling with another coat.

As I don't attempt to produce Gold standard models for competitions, it serves it's purpose. I don't go around making you tube videos of how I do it either.

You can also use gloss or semi-gloss enamels to begin with.

By the way, I don't build "Gold Standard models for competitions." But I do use Paul Budzik's methods simply because they result in better models.

And I don't go around making videos of how I do things, but I appreciate those who take the time to do so in order to teach new techniques. You might watch some. You might learn some new ways to make your models better. We're never too old to learn new things.

It should also be noted that the "requirement" for a gloss finish came from the very people that make the "required" materials for decal application, namely Testors (gloss and flat finishes) and Microscale (Micro Set and Micro Sol). I smell a conspiracy, although I use Micro Set and Micro Sol myself.

Edited by Space Ranger
Add'l. comment.

• 3 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 9:15 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I slap on a coat of Klear with a broad flat brush. It's quick, easy, and requires, thankfully, no great skill.

Interesting to hear - I'm going to give Klear a whirl for the first time, and I was going to ask how to thin it ready for spraying. If I can brush it on, so much the better! Could I spray Klear when I do a large model? If so, any tips or guidance? 

On 8/16/2019 at 9:06 AM, Space Ranger said:

You might learn some new ways to make your models better.

Thanks.SR.. I've just watched the decal application video and learned something new. Not bad for a modeller with 40 years of on and off experience! 

Cheers.. Dave 

3 hours ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Interesting to hear - I'm going to give Klear a whirl for the first time, and I was going to ask how to thin it ready for spraying. If I can brush it on, so much the better! Could I spray Klear when I do a large model? If so, any tips or guidance? 

I've never sprayed Klear, but I understand it can be done. Thin with a little water. Ammonia will strip it. I do large models all the time, and brush it.

This was brushed. 1/32 scale.

resized_3e9cad1a-7778-46c9-90cc-c89821de

• Like 1

I get good results thinning 50/50 with ipa. I also this for final finish adding tamiya flat base to get the required sheen (or lack of).

I find the clear finish seems more tolerant to handling than varnish

Cheers

Colin

Klear mixed 50/50 with Tamiya’s acrylic thinner does give a nice smooth, almost semi gloss finish. I use this prior to applying decals however use Tamiya’s normal Clears for the final sheen finish. So far, I’m quite happy with the way these turn out. 

Cheers. Dave

14 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I've never sprayed Klear, but I understand it can be done. Thin with a little water. Ammonia will strip it. I do large models all the time, and brush it.

This was brushed. 1/32 scale.

resized_3e9cad1a-7778-46c9-90cc-c89821de

Wow! How many coats is that - I'm guessing more than one? 

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Klear mixed 50/50 with Tamiya’s acrylic thinner does give a nice smooth, almost semi gloss finish. I use this prior to applying decals however use Tamiya’s normal Clears for the final sheen finish. So far, I’m quite happy with the way these turn out. 

Cheers. Dave

And then sprayed on or brushed? 

14 hours ago, ckw said:

I get good results thinning 50/50 with ipa. I also this for final finish adding tamiya flat base to get the required sheen (or lack of).

I find the clear finish seems more tolerant to handling than varnish

Cheers

Colin

Really sorry, please could you explain what ipa is? 

Many thanks for all replies, very interesting! 

2 minutes ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Wow! How many coats is that - I'm guessing more than one? 

2 Coats. It will take a 'wet' coat, but try not to overdo it.

Really sorry, please could you explain what ipa is?

Iso Propyl Alcohol

Many thanks for all replies, very interesting!