F-86F-30 Sabre, 67th FBS, 18th FBG, Korea

Looking great Stuart - especially the yellow bands; good job!

I'm no paint expert but iModelKit shows the following equivalents:

49190358536_c637cdd843_z.jpg

The triangle indicates that it's glossy, I think. Any help?

• Like 1

My understanding is that it is a fibreglass fairing over some piece of electronic /radar item like IFF or something, rather than paint. 

So it's probably a bit variable anyway, especially over time and exposure to sun and elements. 

Tone-wise it usually appears lighter in photos than the bare metal, but then that's going to depend on how the light is catching the metal. 

Certainly a light grey and if it's one of those "do not paint" panels it's going to glossy grp. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

especially the yellow bands

Cheers. I hated fitting those decals, think I'll go back to painting the banding for future Korean theatre Sabres. Thanks for the equivalents, looks like I have a few to choose from.

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

fibreglass fairing

You may very well be right. I have seen lots of pics and they show all variations, come even painted. All important to check your reference.

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Humbrol 147

Cheers Martin, I think I found a pot of this last night.

Stuart 

• Like 1

Well, the decal fixer arrived and it was time to print some decals. Initial print of the fin flash had a pink tinge around the block colours and having never done this before, was a bit worrying. After a few chats with Martin ( @RidgeRunner) and my own 'faffing' about, I eventually found A set of properties that printed decent decals.

20191214-111737-1-1.jpg

The top decal sheet is printed on clear, the bottom is on white. They have had two coats of fixer and I will now leave them until this evening before I carry out the next experiment, namely the water/ run test.

Catch you later.

Stuart

• Like 4

Water experiment on the clear decal paper worked well, so...

20191214-195015-1.jpg

...suitably impressed. So good, so far. Next, the buzz codes...

20191214-195123-1.jpg

...et voila! The eagle-eyed among may have noticed something else in the above image, yes, a white band has been painted on the tail. Unfortunately the second experiment on the white decal was a fail...

20191214-195246-1.jpg

...but I wasn't surprised. Having the cut the decal right up to the solid colour, their was no fixer along the cut edge which allowed water to get in to the ink. So a white band was painted on the tail and I will print off a fin flash on clear decal to get round the problem.

If others know how you get round this problem in the future, please tell.

Stuart

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

a white band was painted on the tail and I will print off a fin flash on clear decal to get round the problem.

I think you're on the right track. 

I don't know the solution for this but I wonder if there's any mileage in cutting the the decal first and then sealing, so the edges get a dose too? 

That might interfere with the transfer separating from the backing. 

If you are in the mood for experiments it could be worth a try. But first up I think this next should sort it. 

My experience was with laser printing on clear, done in a copy shop, and I was pleased to find that they are waterproof straight off the sheet, but that's a different ballgame 

The fighting cocks look great! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

If others know how you get round this problem in the future, please tell.

A similar issue discussed in this thread, it seems that you'd need to seal the edges after cutting & make sure to seal them well or go the way you have & use clear decal paper with a wider margin on a white back ground. Btw, how did you print the white background to the rooster, as I read it, that was printed on clear paper?

Steve.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Btw, how did you print the white background to the rooster, as I read it, that was printed on clear paper?

Basically, I very carefully cut out a masking template, using a paper version of the the rooster as a master, positioned it on the Sabre and whacked some Vallejo white on. The white background was a little rough around the edges and was I ready to touch as necessary but the black border hid that when I put the decal on.

I have since printed tail bands on clear decal, fixed and now drying for later.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I little further...

20191220-180059-1.jpg

Tail decals now on making that stage complete.

20191220-190621-1.jpg

Wheels, undercarriage and doors on. Tanks and pylons on. Bombs and pylons on.

With the underside now complete, it's time for festive Friday beer...or two.

Stuart

• Like 8

On 12/20/2019 at 7:54 PM, giemme said:

Well deserved, I must say! Excellent job,

On 12/20/2019 at 8:35 PM, stevehnz said:

Well earned I'd say. Enjoy

On 12/20/2019 at 9:22 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Decor is working very well! 

On 12/21/2019 at 12:17 AM, 72modeler said:

Looking good, Stuart! Always nice to see a fighter-bomber  version!

Cheers guys. Gearing up for Crimbo is getting in the way of completing this. Short of a major catastrophe, this 'bird' will be finished tomorrow.

Since the last update, other bits have been added; exhaust in, fuel dump added, tail planes added, seat fitted. Just got to finish off the canopy internals, fit the canopy and fit/ paint pitot.

Stuart

• Like 3