F-86F-30 Sabre, 67th FBS, 18th FBG, Korea

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nah, you can do it, Stuart

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm with @RidgeRunner, you can do it. Brand new scalpel blade, deep breaths, work slowly, a doddle for a man of your caliber!

Tough crowd.

Anyway, had bit of time to...

20191026-153437-1.jpg

...masked up and gave Rudolph his red nose...nail biting stuff. Being enamel, I've got to leave this thoroughly dry before doing any more.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 6

On 10/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, Courageous said:

Tough crowd.

Anyway, had bit of time to...

20191026-153437-1.jpg

...masked up and gave Rudolph his red nose...nail biting stuff. Being enamel, I've got to leave this thoroughly dry before doing any more.

Stuart

Hi Stuart, 

I'm not home until Wednesday night but I can email you the file if you still need it at that time.

M

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Quick question guys.

Can someone suggest a 'safe' place to download the Amarillo font so I can print  some serials for this bird please?

Stuart

Hi Stuart, I'm not home at the moment but can email you the file if someone else can't provide by then.

M

PS: Does your machine have Amarillo USAF font or North American font?

Edited by RidgeRunner

18 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

No idea.... How hazardous are these things?? 

I'll ask on our club page..... 

Hazardous...no idea, hence my question. Ask away, no immediate rush.

9 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm not home at the moment but can email you the file if someone else can't provide by then.

Cheers Martin. No immediate rush but before the weekend.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

With the RAF rescue launch and the Saunders in the GB no completed, time to get back to this bird.

20191119-191737-1.jpg20191025-175637-1.jpg

'Rudolph' now has his black work on, the black band is a little wide but I can live with that. The gun port panel and tail end have been painted with Humbrol Metalcote Polished steel.

20191119-192203-1.jpg

Also done a test print of the squadron badge on paper before committing to decal paper. As can be seen, they are only 7mm by 7mm and I'm still not sure whether to print on white or clear. If I go white, i will have to carefully cut around the border but that will most probably allow water to creep under the decal fixer and run the ink. If I go clear, I'll have to carefully cut a neat mask, put some white paint down and the decal on top. Choices, choices...:hmmm:. Any suggestions?

Stuart

• Like 4

I would second that choice, based on what limited experience I have. Here's a clear laser print decal applied over a white decal disc.... 

IMG_20191120_000330

Admittedly the black border is a simpler shape and a fraction wider to cover any wobble. 

The method worked well for me. 

My tendency would be a white decal base rather than paint and mask. 

Either something snipped from a spares sheet or maybe you've already got sheets of white? 

You've got plenty to practice with!! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

My tendency would be a white decal base rather than paint and mask. 

That could work. My only problem with that is that the DIY decals are generally thicker than ready-made decals and two layers of decals might make it overly thick. As you say, I can print as many as I like and practice.

Stuart 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Courageous said:

That could work. My only problem with that is that the DIY decals are generally thicker than ready-made decals and two layers of decals might make it overly thick. As you say, I can print as many as I like and practice.

Stuart 

I'd go with painting! stuart. You can, as you say, get a thinner layer. For example, I did this on my T-33s:

Martin

• Like 2

Challenging choices there Stuart. I'd go with a mask to airbrush the white background, cut as precise as you can from those plain paper samples.

If anyone can do it, you can!

Terry

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Challenging choices there Stuart. I'd go with a mask to airbrush the white background, cut as precise as you can from those plain paper samples.

If anyone can do it, you can!

Terry

Agreed. :)

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lull in proceedings, been working on decals and stuff. With much help from Martin ( @RidgeRunner ) with the DIY decals, I now wait for the arrival of decal fixer before I print them. 

20191202-193432-1.jpg

In the meantime, I started to apply the kit decals, starting on the underside. It's the first time I've had any dealings with Academy decals and although they were nicely printed, they took a while to come off the backing paper and is taking ages to conform with doses of Micro Sol. With applications of Sol, hopefully tomorrow, i;ll be able to tackle the topside and sides.

I then realised that I need to do some tail fin flashes:

20190814-222612.jpg

:doh:

Stuart

• Like 6

Stuart, I hate decals in general, but the Academy ones are no less then the spawn of the devil :frantic:

From what I see, you are doing an excellent job in posing them :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

You hear all kinds of cursings in relation to various maker's decals, and even the honorable Tamiya get a verbal pasting on a regular basis!! 

They can be a trial.... 

I see you've got the "Big Yellow Band" to get around the fuselage middle..... 😮

So if I say Good luck with that, please don't think I'm pulling you round! 

Hope it goes well 👍

At least they give you the yellow bands on the sheet. 

Often, and with after-Market sheets too, you just get the black borders supplied and the yellow has to be painted first. 

I dealt with this situation recently by spraying clear decal paper with white primer and yellow gloss rattle cans and then cutting the bands and watersliding them on. 

The fin flashs look like they could be cobbled together from RAF spares if necessary, but if you're in the process of printing items then go for it 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

The fin flashs look like they could be cobbled together from RAF spares if necessary, but if you're in the process of printing items then go for it 

I'd paint them, Stuart.

Martin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, giemme said:

spawn of the devil

You're not filling me with joy Giorgio but thanks for praise.

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

"Big Yellow Band"

In the past I have both painted the bands and used the kit band decals and had no problems doing both. If those bands don't bend to my wishes, they'll be off and I'll paint them on. Maybe I should have painted them in the first place...

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'd paint them,

Although I am tempted, I know I'll have colour match issues between paint and existing decals. At least I can scan the kit decal sheet, pick the red and blue colours and drop them onto the image. I have found very little, if any, colour difference between a scanned and then printed image on modern printer/ scanners.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Stuart

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Courageous said:

You're not filling me with joy Giorgio but thanks for praise.

Apologies, but you know I'm biased .... :shrug: 

40 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Maybe I should have painted them in the first place...

That would have been my approach, but as I said I'm biased :) 

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Although I am tempted, I know I'll have colour match issues between paint and existing decals. At least I can scan the kit decal sheet, pick the red and blue colours and drop them onto the image. I have found very little, if any, colour difference between a scanned and then printed image on modern printer/ scanners.

Very true, Stuart. My experience of printing blocks of coloured decal hasn’t been great. ;)

• Like 1

Still waiting for my can of decal fixer to arrive...

20191208-163645-1.jpg

Most of the kit decals on. It has taken a while for Sol to have its effect on these kit decals. The photo I'm working from shows the top of the tail a light grey (?) and the instructions call for 'Aircraft Grey (FS16473)' but the problem is, I don't know who's paints are used in Academy kits and I can't find the FS paint mentioned. Pointers please and I'll try and get close with the paints I've got?

Stuart

• Like 1