F-86F-30 Sabre, 67th FBS, 18th FBG, Korea

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes, 9 pics in all. Hope they download ok.

Cheers for the pics Terry. Looks like they're from a book I don't have.

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Caught up and following Stuart - nice start! :)

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Tagging along if you don't mind, Stuart

Welcome Ced & Giorgio, enjoy the show and hope you get something out from it.

33 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Interesting build the follow. Lots of usefull information.

Welcome aboard André.

I'm a little fixated with these pylons. Spending the last few hours browsing through my references, I'm now convinced that the fuel tank pylon in this Academy (HobbyCraft) kit is incorrect, so I opened a few boxes and measured the wing contact face of the pylon.

Academy: 20mm

Hobbycraft: 20mm

Airfix:       19mm

Fujimi: 21.5mm

Using SJ's pic and a kit wing, the distance between the front slant and the flap hinge is about 22mm. Fujimi's pylon's a virtually on the money but other kits are out. Is it worth scratching 21.5mm options?

The Airfix kit comes with bombs and pylons which is handy and the bomb pylon measures out as 21.5mm but I reckon it should be closer to 23.5mm.

Phew....need a drink.

Stuart

• Like 3

Concerning the Pavla Resin Cockpit I think I've got it from Hannant's not long ago. But it isn't hard to find...

https://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de/Detail-Conversion-sets/Pavla-Models/Scale-1-72/Cockpit-sets-resin/PC72099-F-86F-Sabre-Cockpit-Set::10992.html?language=en

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Andre B said:

Concerning the Pavla Resin Cockpit I think I've got it from Hannant's not long ago. But it isn't hard to find...

https://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de/Detail-Conversion-sets/Pavla-Models/Scale-1-72/Cockpit-sets-resin/PC72099-F-86F-Sabre-Cockpit-Set::10992.html?language=en

Hmmm .... but look at the price!

• Like 2

On 8/20/2019 at 7:13 AM, Courageous said:

Pic could have been better but ho-hum.

Too bad you apparently don't care, given that you're getting some terrific help to make an outstanding model. 

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

32 minutes ago, Gene K said:
On 8/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, Courageous said:

Pic could have been better but ho-hum.

Too bad you apparently don't care, given that you're getting some terrific help to make an outstanding model.

Hi Gene, it's not that I don't care, the build is taking place in my lunch hour at work, with limited time, space and light and I come armed with my phone camera, so please excuse the quality of the odd photo. The photo in question is a collection of cockpit parts just off the sprue, so I don't think anybody is going to find anything useful there.

Stuart

Lower wing and pylons 

20190830-125940-1.jpg

Fuel pylon checked ok at BP 118 (41.5mm). Bomb pylon made at BP 72 1/4 (25.5mm). The marked line near leading edge is forward limit of pylons and the flap line is aft limit.

20190830-125408-1.jpg

Some pylons fitted. The outer kit wing pylons are at their correct forward location but as can be seen, are a little short. The bomb pylons should be a little longer. I think I will scratch all the pylons, look simple enough :hmmm:

Stuart

• Like 7

On 8/30/2019 at 1:58 PM, giemme said:

Interesting stuff, Stuart 👍🏻 Looking forward to how you will scratch build the pylons :popcorn:

Cheers Giorgio. I don't think you'll learn much from my scratch work compared to yours but if it helps...

20190903-130130-1.jpg

Choosing the appropriate thickness of card and using the kit part as a template, I had the makings of a new pylon...just lengthened a bit. I add the location tabs for the wing and the fuel tank to aid things later.

20190903-130224-1.jpg

Temporary placement of 'new' fuel tank pylon, front end lined up with slat line and stopping short of the flap line. The tank itself will be in exactly the same position relative to the wing as the kit option. Make myself another on of them and it'll be the bomb pylon next and although I have worked out it's length and height, its profile will need some thought as I'm pretty sure that it's trapezoidal in section.

Stuart

• Like 6

On 30/08/2019 at 13:17, Courageous said:

Fuel pylon checked ok at BP 118 (41.5mm)

Stuart, I just been checking the tank pylons on my Italieri 1.48 F84E with these figures, 

41.5÷48 x 72, and it's near enough for me. Thanks! 

What I have done is deploy the flaps, and the l. e. slats. 

The outside corners of the flaps come very close to the tanks. I may have too much deflection on the flaps I guess, but are there any good pictures of how these two items relate with flaps down max?? 

My kit pylons seem to be close to what you are indicating too. 

😎

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 1

Back from a weeks break in the Lake District and unfortunately getting motivated again took a little time but we're there now.

Anyways, an update.

20190920-124702-1.jpg

Longer tank pylons now complete and temporarily fitted to tanks.

20190920-125001-1.jpg

Although not very clear due to plastic being white, the bomb pylons are now complete. Slightly longer than the tank pylons and are trapeze in cross-section.

20190920-130019-1.jpg

Just a quick pic to show you the relationship between tank and bomb. I'm happy with how it looks, time to get back on track.

Stuart

• Like 5

On 9/20/2019 at 3:17 PM, limeypilot said:

Not sure how I missed this, but found it now and caught up.

Glad you found us Ian, didn't think jets were your thing...

Anyway, with the pylons all but sorted, time to turn to the main stuff.

20190925-122358-1.jpg

Lead added to the nose. Don't ask 'How much?', I haven't a clue, I just fit what I can and has worked since the beginning.

20190925-123800-1.jpg

Fuselage halves joined together and doesn't look to bad. No doubt the seam will be needing some attention but hey, that's modelling.

20190925-124938-1.jpg

Airbrakes, undercarriage and associated doors are off the sprue and need cleaning.

Stuart

• Like 4

Stuart,

Good to see you back in the saddle- welcome back! She's looking very good so far! Can't wait to see her on her undercart with the tanks and bombs on the pylons which you did a very good job with, BTW. @Sabrejet- thanks for the flap angles- will file that little tidbit away.

Mike

• Like 1