mystery find in a second hand shop.

Hi folk's we've just had a couple of days down in Whitby and while SWMBO was doing the usual round of gift shops I had a chance to snoop around

the second hand shops.In the back of one I found this model,Am I right in thinking Great eastern? It was nicely done all the anchor chains metal

and I could kick myself for not paying the £10 asking price and repairing the few bits lying on the chair it was on that's Airfix's Bismark beside it for 

scale and Nelson was on another chair,so I can only assume it's Revells oldie or I've just let a scratch built little gem through my hands.

20190812_145831

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

Hi Jeff and Stuart from what there is on the web I think it's definitely Revell's,now there's a kit I'd certainly grab if a re-release came about!

When I was at school history was a favourite subject especially when we got to the Victorian era I loved the industrial stuff and Brunel in

particular strange of his three big ships nothing has been produced of the Great Britain which survives,come on Airfix take yourselves down

and measure her up!

• Like 3

Almost certainly the Revell kit, one of which I have buried deep in the stash.

IIRC the kit depicts the Great Eastern in her later role as a telegraph cable layer and I wanted to build it in the configuration she was in when IKB sailed on her and so the kit was banished to the stash of no return.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Almost certainly the Revell kit, one of which I have buried deep in the stash.

IIRC the kit depicts the Great Eastern in her later role as a telegraph cable layer and I wanted to build it in the configuration she was in when IKB sailed on her and so the kit was banished to the stash of no return.

I too want to do my kit with the fifth funnel, having examined the kit parts, the  extra funnel does not look to hard to scratch.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I too want to do my kit with the fifth funnel, having examined the kit parts, the  extra funnel does not look to hard to scratch.

Maybe it should be your next maritime build :wicked:.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Maybe it should be your next maritime build :wicked:.

Stuart

Wicked child! It is in fact high up on my list of ship builds. Firstly however, I need to find a decent plan of the ship and secondly, I need to be able to afford a bespoke case for it and that won't come cheap.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Not before that Karl Doorman jobbie, eh @Martian Hale ..............? :poke:

Terry

Evil wretch! Who's cruising for a rending in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon on this bright and sunny Sunday morning then? :fight:

Martian 👽 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

@Terry1954, looks like we're both cruising...:rofl:

Stuart

No, not you Stuart; well, not yet anyway. I do want to do the build but really am hamstrung by the lack of detailed references. Strange this in view of the tremendous public interest the ship generated during her lifetime.

Martian 👽

• Like 2