Legit Bearcat scheme?

Luka

I have a question about this profile that I found online. It's a South Vietnamese F8F Bearcat, in a striking camo scheme.
I thought it might be interesting as a variation to the glossy blue and all metal 'cats out there, but I wonder if there are any photo's to confirm this scheme, as all I have found was this profile (and variants thereof). Can anyone out there help me out?

spacer.png

• Like 1

I have 4 Bearcat books and none have a camouflage South Vietnamese Bearcat. I found 3 other profiles, the earliest done by Clave who I believe is a member here and may be able to shed some light. He also is on Deviant Art and you may be able to contact him there. https://www.deviantart.com/ws-clave/art/Bearcat-South-Vietnam-3-311974538

Thanks fubar, it looks like @Clave hasn't visited BM in the last 4 years. I'll see if I can find his mail address somewhere.

Meanwhile, if someone else has info in this bird, please let me know!

Edit; Bill/Clave could not find any photographic source.

Edited by Luka
info update
  • Like 1

I've been searching my refs too, and I cant find anything to verify the scheme. 1964 would be very late for an RVNAF Bearcat to have been operational, they were pretty much replaced by A-1s at the start of the 60's, - so maybe this was an airfield decoy?

cheers

Jonners

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

so maybe this was an airfield decoy?

That's what I was thinking, too, Jon. I went through all of my Bearcat references, of which I have a ton, and I couldn't find anything like the color profile posted. Not to say that the scheme didn't exist, but it is such an unusual one, that of it were actual, I would think it would have surfaced in a reference work or decal sheet. I'm thinking decoy or one of those wonky pseudo-camouflage schemes that seem to appear on abandoned U.S. or SVNAF aircraft displayed in Communist museums,  outdoor displays. or war memorials.

Mike

I was a bit suspicious of this profile. It seems like this profile has been redone by several artists, and that the original profile was maybe done from a description or something..
Thanks all for checking btw

Edited by Luka
politeness