MINIART - GAZ 03-03 Sanistätswagen, Medical Wagon UKRAINE 1944

1 hour ago, vaoinas said:

Looking very unusual.

Great job on this.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Lovely work with the airbrush there Simon. What's the story behind the wooden slats on the engine?

John.

Thanks chap's......appreciate that....:yes:

As regards the wood over the engine John....I've seen a few pics where this was done. One with what looked like as you see above, and others with what looked like reed matting etc. Not sure if it's because they broke the engine covers fitted.....and did this to keep as much dirt and mud off the engine. If I come across the pics again, I'll post them.

Thanks again to you both......:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I wonder if it was some kind of thermal blanket?

John.

Could be John, as I do know thick special blankets were issues for the Opel Blitz and other German trucks in winter. I have seen wood or thick grass covers on engines, without their original engine cover.....so could be a bit of both, depending on situation.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Simon, great paintwork on the bus, you've a real flare for it.

Think you're probably on the mark with the idea of an improvised thermal jacket too, btw.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Simon, great paintwork on the bus, you've a real flare for it.

Think you're probably on the mark with the idea of an improvised thermal jacket too, btw.

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl.......just received my new 0.15 needle, and needed to give it a spin. And yes on the thermal idea, but I have seen this wicker/wood thing on a truck in what looked like summer.....either way, I have to add some finer strands to mine; once I find some material to do it.

thanks again for the thumbs up....:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

Just a quickie, re' the airbrushed camo; which paint brand, thinned and if so by how much? (And any other relevant suggestions). Just asking as at some point I'd like to do something like an Elephant with the "cobweb" camo over dunklegelb. 

Thanks 

Darryl 

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Just a quickie, re' the airbrushed camo; which paint brand, thinned and if so by how much? (And any other relevant suggestions). Just asking as at some point I'd like to do something like an Elephant with the "cobweb" camo over dunklegelb. 

Thanks 

Darryl 

Hi Darryl

The paint I have at present is Vallejo Model Colour. I picked up a full set years ago off Ebay cheap, so working my way through them......

.......but, on this bus I used a spirit based ink by Letraset (used to re-fill their markers, and unfortunately no longer avaliable) as an experiment, for the green....... reason being, it has colour density even after thinning and is transparent.

I think I will use it again' as from studying photo's and doing some research recently, it looks to me that the green and red brown used in the field, mixed with petrol would have been more transparent than opaque.

The red brown is the Model Colour though, thinned approximately.....30% colour to 60% thinner....... I always throw in some what Vallejo states as Airbrush Flow Improver, which is nothing more than fluid retarder for acrylics, that you can pick up from any art store for a lot cheaper than the 17ml bottle that Vallejo sells. I picked up a 250ml bottle for under a tenner by Windsor & Newton.......the amount in general mustn't exceed 25% max or the paint may never dry.........overall, the thinner the paint the better......and brushed at 10 to 15 PSI.

Next, I'm going to experiment with a bunch of transparent primary colours by Vallejo Model Colour, and mix a green and red brown, and see how they perform on some old hulks I have.........hope this helps, and don't hesitate to message me with any other help.

P.S. I have an Elephant waiting for that very same camo' pattern.......:D

1SomaYj.jpg

Forgot to say, the Dunkelgelb is the MIG acrylic colour for brush and airbrush set from dark base through to highlight.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Darryl

The paint I have at present is Vallejo Model Colour. I picked up a full set years ago off Ebay cheap, so working my way through them......

.......but, on this bus I used a spirit based ink by Letraset (used to re-fill their markers, and unfortunately no longer avaliable) as an experiment, for the green....... reason being, it has colour density even after thinning and is transparent.

I think I will use it again' as from studying photo's and doing some research recently, it looks to me that the green and red brown used in the field, mixed with petrol would have been more transparent than opaque.

The red brown is the Model Colour though, thinned approximately.....30% colour to 60% thinner....... I always throw in some what Vallejo states as Airbrush Flow Improver, which is nothing more than fluid retarder for acrylics, that you can pick up from any art store for a lot cheaper than the 17ml bottle that Vallejo sells. I picked up a 250ml bottle for under a tenner by Windsor & Newton.......the amount in general mustn't exceed 25% max or the paint may never dry.........overall, the thinner the paint the better......and brushed at 10 to 15 PSI.

Next, I'm going to experiment with a bunch of transparent primary colours by Vallejo Model Colour, and mix a green and red brown, and see how they perform on some old hulks I have.........hope this helps, and don't hesitate to message me with any other help.

P.S. I have an Elephant waiting for that very same camo' pattern.......:D

Forgot to say, the Dunkelgelb is the MIG acrylic colour for brush and airbrush set from dark base through to highlight.

Thanks Simon for the very comprehensive reply!

I generally use AK or Vallejo acrylics and as you say, thinned to probably a similar degree, which is fine for large areas or somewhere you can make multiple passes to get the right density. However;  If going freehand, particularly on a narrow band like the cobweb pattern, which I'm guessing is a one pass affair. I've discovered the paint tends to be a little translucent with only one pass, therefore i was wondering if it needed to be thinned less but then it suffers with tip dry, even with a squirt of flow Improver. (I had been experimenting with the air pressure up to about 20psi...?).

So... after saying all that perhaps if I experiment with the pressure turned down and thin the paint 60-40 as suggested and add a little more flow improve with any luck it should cover..... (The smallest needle set up I have is 0.25, btw).

I've a hunch its probably going to boil down to practice, practice and practice! If I can get the basic paint mix sorted.

I'd forgotten about your Elephant, looking forward to seeing that come along. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

Hi Darryl, and yes.....plenty of practice.....:yes: There's no harm in spending the day spraying camo' on plain white paper to get the knack down. I do it all the time. I find using a high pressie you get over spray and less defined edges. But as I say, dig out some old hulks and try some practice on them. Also, remember....you can put in more than a drop or two of flow improver....up to 20-25%.....I find it holds off the tip drying quite well.

Now, update on this one. Chipping and and pin line complete.......next, streaking, dust and mud beneath and on wheels and wheel wells. 

t6N562F.jpg

iTneQlK.jpg

A5OIkET.jpg

• Like 11

Some people just have a natural eye for it! The scuffs, scratches and scrapes are perfect. And don't get me banging on about the wood effect behind the windows!

11 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Darryl, and yes.....plenty of practice.....:yes: There's no harm in spending the day spraying camo' on plain white paper to get the knack down.

Right, where do I start here!

Are you married Simon, if so, you should know better!:hmmm:

If I said to the current Mrs M, "I've now't better to do so I'm off to spend the day spraying thin lines onto a ream of white paper". Well...... I don't want to spend the weekend scraping moss off the roof or doing some other useful task is all I can say!:whistle:

Joking aside, quite right, practice is the way forward, just need to get the set up right or at least close!

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Oh, it looks gorgeous.

Wish I was able to make such a natural looking scratches and chipping.

20 hours ago, Andy350 said:

That look is amazing, look so realistic without being over the top.  I would like to be able to produce model like this.

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Lovely worn look without being OTT. Nice one.

John.

Thanks chaps, glad you like  .....really appreciate the big approval.. I still constantly strive to do the chipping like I see in the modelling mags.........I'm presently studying Mig Jimenez's dust and mud style with the AMMO products. Going to give it a try on this one, and see how it goes.

Thanks again......:yes:

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Some people just have a natural eye for it! The scuffs, scratches and scrapes are perfect. And don't get me banging on about the wood effect behind the windows!

Right, where do I start here!

Are you married Simon, if so, you should know better!:hmmm:

If I said to the current Mrs M, "I've now't better to do so I'm off to spend the day spraying thin lines onto a ream of white paper". Well...... I don't want to spend the weekend scraping moss off the roof or doing some other useful task is all I can say!:whistle:

Joking aside, quite right, practice is the way forward, just need to get the set up right or at least close!

Thanks again

Darryl 

Funny Darryl......

Was married at one time, so probably helps a little with time to apply.....:wink:, there again, with Dennis on us this weekend, that should keep you off the roof polishing roof tile's and de-mossing......:D

Thanks for the thumbs up though mate,....:yes:

Cheers all.

Simon.

• Like 1