MINIART - GAZ 03-03 Sanistätswagen, Medical Wagon UKRAINE 1944

EVENING ALL.....bored with just painting at resent so have to kick off a new project. I decided on starting the Miniart GAZ 03-03 Passenger Bus.

7AmpJtj.jpg

Picked it up off Ebay at half price....so why not....

The plan is to strip out the interior and install stretcher racks and medical stuff. It's going to need figures, so on the hunt for the right one's for the scene.

Doing some ongoing research and there are many different paint styles for ambulance's etc....standard colours with maybe camo' and red cross signage.....VNJdNHT.jpg

All white..... 

hpCsXKV.jpg

JkDgPqg.jpg

Etc, etc, etc.........

So plenty of scope to make anything up that looks good........:D.....I think I'll probably paint it in the colours as it was found. In the instructions, (which I have to say is one of the most comprehensive full colour one's I've had)..... will be in the

All-Union Young pioneer camp "Artek" Gurzuf settlement, Crimean Peninsular 1940-41.

b6RsiMZ.jpg

Then painted over in Dunkelgelb and red cross signage.....followed by some chipping medium showing through the original paint. This kit for me anyway to date has the most spru's for a kit...

J4YtQb1.jpg

Also here are the decals (not that I will use them) and the clear parts.....even some PE....

QGejeiT.jpg

lyjIkbH.jpg

I think a long build ahead, and plenty scratch building for the interior. Nice though, as it was an ad hoc use.....so can be creative....so onward to the bench and see where she ends up...from the instructions, looks like a nice well thought out kit with very few issues at first glance that i can see.....my first Miniart....:D

night all.....:yes:

• Like 2

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to MINIART - GAZ 03-03 Sanistätswagen, Medical Wagon UKRAINE 1944

'Morning Simon. I do like those Miniart Russian trucks. They go together well and are a vast improvement on the old Zvezda/Italeri kits. This should be an interesting build. Good luck with it. 

John.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all........update on this little (bothersome....:unamused: )project. I think so far I have the same complaints as I did with Bronco. Great intent on detail, but not the tool making skills as, say Tamiya. ...... very, very issue ridden spru connection points placed right on very critical detail and so......plenty of tedious carving away of the excess plastic at these points.

Bc4Ltw0.jpg

FOR EXAMPLE ON MOULDING ISSUES

• All the linkage rods for the transmission etc are impossible to clean up and required me to replace with 0.45mm wire. You might say why bother, but the one's with the kit as I said impossible and are all bent when the attempt is made......or break. They can have up 8 connection points over 2-3".
  • The connection location points on the chassis are very "loose" for the cross bracing detail and require some patience. The one at the very front is critical, as it support the front of the engine. Off by .5mm and the engine drops through.........:rant:
  • The actual chassis long sections are very bendable. The issue is for me anyway.....the obsession with super accuracy on Miniarts part, the return flange is so thin there's not strength. Tamiya would have made them thicker for stability.....which would not have been an issue, as you can't see it anyway. Plus being so thin, max .3mm....again impossible not to damage the chassis when disconnecting from the spru.....
  • Same complaint about the multiple part tire.....as Bronco.......hate them.....total of 7 rings to make one tire plus hub

All I can say is, it will be battle worn and rickety in look..........so, no worries in hiding many issues in the kit fit......

URlYiUE.jpg

Plenty of mud will hide many issue ..........:winkgrin:

0OSeUHt.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 6

you've got the chassis together and it looks fine. I had thought looking through the kit that it would have saved work on the manufacturer's end if they simply included a few lengths of brass wire and skipped the fiddly-bits. from previous MA kits, I've come to realize it's not their way of doing things. i'll be entertained  following along intently when you get to the linkage to operate the bus' passenger door.

coming from the "model car field", I followed the evolution of adapting military modeling techniques of finishing, i.e. "weathering". so much was simply slathered on as a way to cover faulty workmanship and lack of basic modeling skill it turned me away. a favorite finish is to paint the vehicle, ignore sags & orange peel,, and then sand off the paint in a unified manner paying particular attention to the easy spots as to not expend any real finesse, then glob on orange paint over and call it "rusted".

I understand that is not your intention, but I think it bears reminding that weathering is not a way to cover up, but rather enhance, realism.

Edited by s.e.charles
  • Like 1

It's coming along nicely and looks really good to me.

By the photos I really can't see many issues and faults to be covered.

I understand that is not your intention, but I think it bears reminding that weathering is not a way to cover up, but rather enhance, realism.

I, as not a particularly skilled model builder, use weathering often to cover my errors. On the other hand it doesn't mean, that the same weathering couldn't enhance realism as well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:
  • All the linkage rods for the transmission etc are impossible to clean up and required me to replace with 0.45mm wire. You might say why bother, but the one's with the kit as I said impossible and are all bent when the attempt is made......or break. They can have up 8 connection points over 2-3".
  • The connection location points on the chassis are very "loose" for the cross bracing detail and require some patience. The one at the very front is critical, as it support the front of the engine. Off by .5mm and the engine drops through.........:rant:
  • The actual chassis long sections are very bendable. The issue is for me anyway.....the obsession with super accuracy on Miniarts part, the return flange is so thin there's not strength. Tamiya would have made them thicker for stability.....which would not have been an issue, as you can't see it anyway. Plus being so thin, max .3mm....again impossible not to damage the chassis when disconnecting from the spru.....
  • Same complaint about the multiple part tire.....as Bronco.......hate them.....total of 7 rings to make one tire plus hub

Oops! After me saying that these kits go together well (shut up John). But still, they must be an improvement on the Zvezda kit, surely?

So far, you're making a good job of it Simon.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, s.e.charles said:

you've got the chassis together and it looks fine. I had thought looking through the kit that it would have saved work on the manufacturer's end if they simply included a few lengths of brass wire and skipped the fiddly-bits. from previous MA kits, I've come to realize it's not their way of doing things. i'll be entertained  following along intently when you get to the linkage to operate the bus' passenger door.

coming from the "model car field", I followed the evolution of adapting military modeling techniques of finishing, i.e. "weathering". so much was simply slathered on as a way to cover faulty workmanship and lack of basic modeling skill it turned me away. a favorite finish is to paint the vehicle, ignore sags & orange peel,, and then sand off the paint in a unified manner paying particular attention to the easy spots as to not expend any real finesse, then glob on orange paint over and call it "rusted".

56 minutes ago, vaoinas said:

It's coming along nicely and looks really good to me.

By the photos I really can't see many issues and faults to be covered.

I, as not a particularly skilled model builder, use weathering often to cover my errors. On the other hand it doesn't mean, that the same weathering couldn't enhance realism as well. 

Hi Both.......just to clarify.....wear and weathering is something I do after I build as though it has just come out of the factory. I actually don't like to over do weathering as I enjoy seeing the detail etc on a kit. In fact, I somewhat hesitate in weathering at all and just go with wear and tear to paint - scratches etc.

The issue's with me on this kit and the Bronco one recently, is slavishly keeping to hyper detail which is detrimental to the kit at this scale........if Miniart wants to continue on this route, IMOP.....they need to up their game on moulding quality as regards fit and spru' connection points......example below. The linkage rod with 9 points, and a very, very soft plastic.........:rant:

rtjbsJf.jpg

I'm now just starting the upper chassis etc. Nothing really fits. I'm going to have to build it away from the lower chassis. As what will happen, as we use to say in the design office is...."accumulative error". As each piece is off kilter, at the end you have a major discrepancy. I find that with Dragon and Tamiya....you could build them and just paint them in grey primer and they would be near perfect.....these other brands attempting to be super detailed, need to poach a few engineers from the big boys to match them; at this level off attempted detail and accuracy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Oops! After me saying that these kits go together well (shut up John). But still, they must be an improvement on the Zvezda kit, surely?

So far, you're making a good job of it Simon.

John.

Hi John. No mate, no big issue overall......I suppose it's my underlying OCD......:winkgrin:. The linkage rod's as S.E. Charles said, could have been better done in wire.....if plastic reproduction isn't in their remit at present for this type of component.

I mean, most of what I've done to date will not really be seen, but I still like to enjoy any build.....and not have issue's like this. The big issue is as I mentioned, the build sequence in the manual to me aint gonna work out in light of the slight issues in fit and location pin issue's.....built seperatly is the way ahead I think.

Cheers mate.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

Very nice idea Redcoat2966!. I'm a little afraid about the attachment point on sprue. It required, to me, a tedious cleaning job. What can I say, Tamiya is second to none about engineering and fittings. Anyway I'm very interested for your next project.:popcorn:

All the best.

Filippo 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I find that with Dragon and Tamiya....you could build them and just paint them in grey primer and they would be near perfect.....these other brands attempting to be super detailed, need to poach a few engineers from the big boys to match them; at this level off attempted detail and accuracy.

I now what you mean. If Tamiya and Dragon were cars, they would be RR and Bentley, but some of the producers today would end up as British Leyland! You know what you are getting with the former two, but some of the new boys are trying a little too hard to be all singing, all dancing. The parts count in some of Bronco's kits is ridiculous, and some are so tiny. Of the new manufacturers, the only ones that I buy without a thought as to accuracy and ease of build, are Tasca and Asuka, although even Tasca has gone a little OTT with their Sherman suspensions. When Bronco's/Miniart's etc moulds get as old as some such as Italeri's Crusader, I wonder, will they still stack up as well?

John. 

51 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

Very nice idea Redcoat2966!. I'm a little afraid about the attachment point on sprue. It required, to me, a tedious cleaning job. What can I say, Tamiya is second to none about engineering and fittings. Anyway I'm very interested for your next project.:popcorn:

All the best.

Filippo 

Hi Filippo

Don't get me wrong, this kit is a nice one to build from a subject point of view...just been spoilt by Tamiya/Dragon....I hope will work out to be a nice conversion. .....:yes:

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

I now what you mean. If Tamiya and Dragon were cars, they would be RR and Bentley, but some of the producers today would end up as British Leyland! You know what you are getting with the former two, but some of the new boys are trying a little too hard to be all singing, all dancing. The parts count in some of Bronco's kits is ridiculous, and some are so tiny. Of the new manufacturers, the only ones that I buy without a thought as to accuracy and ease of build, are Tasca and Asuka, although even Tasca has gone a little OTT with their Sherman suspensions. When Bronco's/Miniart's etc moulds get as old as some such as Italeri's Crusader, I wonder, will they still stack up as well?

John. 

I'm yet to do a Zvezda....so maybe if I see one cheap; I'll give them a shot.....as regards this one, I'll plough on and complete......although it might get shelved occasionally....:winkgrin:.....with nearly 60 parts for 6 wheels, it'll be more than :unamused:......

I think what the engineers need is an actual model maker with them as they plan a kit. I had this problem with my engineers when I was in an industry that injection moulded. Sometime the engineers couldn't see the wood for the tree's. I would design it for end user ease, they were obsessed with looking at the end and say what a marvel of engineering.........for them I think some times it was "function followed form".......not the other way round, as it should be....within reason to detail required in kits......I think Tamiya and Dragon make the balance just right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I'm yet to do a Zvezda

I've read very good reports about their newer kits. Their old ones have reappeared under many labels. The Zis 5 that I built was actually an Italeri issue. Don't get me wrong. It was an enjoyable build, just not as much finesse as today's kits. 

John.

• Like 1

Looking under my bench though John, I think kit purchase's are on hold.......more than enough to keep me busy.....for a long, long time.........As you said above, someone else recommended ASUKA to me, so I have the new Sherman Firelfly to build too along with all the rest being Tamiya and Dragon. Although I did pick up a Das Werk 4 barreled 30mm FLAK the other day.....for a filler when fed up with the builds on the bench..........I'll think I'll take a pass on Italeri's and Zvezda unless really cheap for a trial build.

• Like 2

a saving grace to MiniArt is their accessory kits. tons of those details at a price which can be absorbed. translating all that into a full size kit may be the snag.

the subject matter is another plus on their side.

following along.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, s.e.charles said:

a saving grace to MiniArt is their accessory kits. tons of those details at a price which can be absorbed. translating all that into a full size kit may be the snag.

the subject matter is another plus on their side.

following along.

47 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

MiniArt puts tons of details into their kits, something neglected by most other makers. But sometimes MiniArt kits come accross as a bit over engineered

Couldn't agree more s.e.......I have the Panzerfaust set, really nice. You get a lot for your money in one set.......but as you say, some effort required. They need to concentrate on making all these additional parts detail though Vaastav actually fit together. I was impressed with the spru count on this kit, but if a large proportion is un-workable....it becomes pretty pointless.......linkage rods a good example........

I'm at the point in looking at the main cab....basically a "house of cards". There's no positive location points or any locking points to confirm correct location, other than at floor level for the side walls..... this build requires the main chassis and sub parts be exactly in the right place. Well.....the chassis as I have described is questionable in dimensions based on the parts design of Miniart and how they put it together.....I know that the radiator is off due to the part it sits on being off based on kit location points. This moves on to make the engine off by .5mm, which intern like a domino continues to the front fire wall section of the cab which is a critical part of the main cab and the "house of cards" build I have to contemplate. To keep the main cab square, you need the doors fitted......this so complicates the build if you want to do the interior......it's a catch 22....I need the doors in place to square the cab.....but I want them open....:huh:...I know before I even try..... the front doors will have a hole bigger than required.........so they might HAVE to be open.......this is due to the front windscreen wall of the cab being off........it goes on and on.......:unamused:....not major problems..... IFthat is,  you want to make it with everything buttoned up.

Overall, they make it very, very difficult to build to do anything on the interior, or even a plan to paint it correctly in considering the interior as well.

I'm not here to bash Miniart......I don't think this experience will totally put me off another....but the subject matter will be more carefully chosen......don't think I'll choose an open chassis vehicle again.

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

At the very beginning of this thread, you posted some vehicle photos and one in particular caught my eye, the Opel Blitz with the ambulance body. Do you have any more info on this vehicle, in particular 1/35th plans as I' would like to build this vehicle? Alternatively, do you know where I can lay my hands on some?

Thanks,

John.

This is a different subject Simon, like the start you have made will and all the small details you have added (way better than the kit parts :like: )

Regards

Richard

23 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Simon,

At the very beginning of this thread, you posted some vehicle photos and one in particular caught my eye, the Opel Blitz with the ambulance body. Do you have any more info on this vehicle, in particular 1/35th plans as I' would like to build this vehicle? Alternatively, do you know where I can lay my hands on some?

Thanks,

John.

Hi John......I don't have anything more.....but if you put into Google Opel Blitz Blueprints........there are a few companies you can buy them from.

1 hour ago, Ripaman said:

This is a different subject Simon, like the start you have made will and all the small details you have added (way better than the kit parts :like: )

Regards

Richard

Cheers Richard.....it's been a pain this one. I was looking forward to starting it.......but it has dragged...:unamused:. I'm having to change my original plans. The way Miniart has done the kit construction, makes it really hard to do sub component completion and painting. I'm going to do a lower detail interior than I planned, with some boarded up widows etc on the side. I might go for a mobile surgery.....

22 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi John......I don't have anything more.....but if you put into Google Opel Blitz Blueprints........there are a few companies you can buy them from.

Thanks Simon, I'll give it a go.

John.

• 5 months later...

Evening all.......decided to get this one dusted off and finished off...........I still have some work ahead yet....mud and dust chipping and weathering, and glazing. One last thing will be stowage on the roof rack. I might try and do some home made tarps and box's etc that mimic hospital,  tents etc.....anyway, here she is at this point. Markings are for the 23rd Panzer Division...Southern Russia 1944.

oZMDh6k.jpg

CJNLRok.jpg

t7npqka.jpg

KVvTSwb.jpg

lw386Hz.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 9