Very very close call with a water bomber

NoSG0

Do not know if this was posted already.  Sorry if so.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MqxgMId

From the comments:

1) It is a BA-146? 

2 And good thing the pilot followed the terrain rather than keep wings level

Glad that they made it.  I am missing a seat cushion and I wasn't even on the plane.

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It certainly kicked up the dust. Classic target fixation killed more than a few attack pilots. 

It's either a Bae146 or one of the later RJ upgrades. As the RJ has more power that might have made the difference in clearing that ridge. 

My brother an Engineer who worked on 146s for years said it powered by four APUs rather than engines. He did not have a high opinion of the type. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is a chilling piece of video-a matter of feet.  climb to safe altitude and straight home to base one would think.

Imagine the poor Engineer who released the aircraft to service- the stress he would have been under if it had gone in. 

Gives me the heeby-jeebies

5 hours ago, noelh said:

My brother an Engineer who worked on 146s for years said it powered by four APUs rather than engines. He did not have a high opinion of the type. 

And yet it has an excellent safety record, certainly no worse than any other comparable aircraft. With the exception of China Northwest Flight 2119 and possibly Atlantic Airways Flight 670 I don't remember any fatal crash involving the BAe 146/Avro RJ which was attributable to a failure of the aircraft itself. 

• Like 3

Indeed it does. But he worked on it daily for some years. Mechs like him always have a particular view of the birds they work on. 

Safe it might have been but popular it was not although the pilots like it. 

I'm a pilot my brother is an aircraft Engineer, imagine the fun debates we have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, noelh said:

It certainly kicked up the dust. Classic target fixation killed more than a few attack pilots. 

It's either a Bae146 or one of the later RJ upgrades. As the RJ has more power that might have made the difference in clearing that ridge. 

My brother was on the design team, I flew on them a lot. I think it was a good, solid and robust classic British design (like the 1-11 etc.) which has a very good safety record.

The engines, I guess were fit for purpose, not highly powered but it had 4 which gave a good safety margin, and are from the same family as the Chinook engines.

Enjoyed flying it with uninterrupted views of the land below due to the high wing.

• Like 2

I flew on 146s a few times. Not bad at all, IMO, and I do love their looks. Which is why I'm attempting to corner the worlds supply of the Revell kits, apparently (it's 'one of those kits' for me - you know, the ones that you'll buy every time you see them, even though you already have nearly as many kits of the type as were actually made. Or is that just me?)

That video linked above- I hope that the crew were wearing their brown uniforms trousers...

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, Agent K said:

Enjoyed flying it with uninterrupted views of the land below due to the high wing.

I thought that until I started flying in Dash-8s and got a brilliant view of the engine and about four square feet of the rest of the world.  Every bliddy seat was the same!  How did they manage that?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1