Combat Magnum

Couldn't find a suitable place to post this...just consider it as artillery. 😉 

It's an old L&S 1:1 scale kit that I've had for some time now, but badly finished in the past with car spray paint. I'm sort of between builds at the moment, so I thought I'd refurb this while I'm waiting for a kit to arrive in the post. I started by soaking the parts overnight in Mr Muscle oven cleaner, which did precisely zip to the paint. I got hold of some brake fluid, soaked the parts again, and within an hour they were bare plastic. Useful to remember...

The parts were pretty poorly moulded, and the barrel and frame had a crinkly finish to the moulding, almost as if they'd designed it not to look too real. A lot of primer and sanding later, and it was just about acceptable. I used Alclad Gun Metal for the blued finish, as it seems to replicate it well...it's a sort of purply black colour, and when glossed over it looks about right. The sights and the top of the barrel were done in matt black as per the real thing, and the trigger and hammer were done in Alclad Steel with case hardening effects painted on using clear red, blue and smoke, although it's hardly visible in the photos.

I simulated the wood grain of the grips by using oil paint, and glossed over it to look like polished walnut. All in all, I think it worked ok.

And before anybody pipes up about the VCRA, yes I do have a valid defence for owning a RIF. Here it is:

combatmag1_zpsqd2nd5yd.jpg

combatmag2_zpsg41w2zjz.jpg

combatmag3_zpsokdfclra.jpg

combatmag4_zpstcz0lblj.jpg

combatmag5_zpshnh2ocze.jpg

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 17

• 1 month later...

I had one of those L&S Magnums and I had the long barrel 'Dirty Harry' version and a few others besides. Nice finish. I tended to go for the well used look. 

I may still have one or two buried in the stash. But these days the full metal airsoft pistols are so much better. I have a couple of those too. No VCRA here in Ireland. As long as you don't wave them in someone's face you're fine. 

• Like 1