Charlie Chaplin

JackG

This is a cement statue my friend brought to me to have refurbished.   Originally was owned by his grandfather, then his parents until it fell into disarray. He stored it for a few years until now.

It was in pretty bad shape, not just the paint but the surface was pitted and chipped throughout.   The  larger areas were cemented over, particularly the base.  Together we poured a new one over the old utilizing a simple mould constructed from plywood.  This doubled the original thickness as well as adding a good inch or two around it.

CIzaEmX.jpg

The local hardware store could not suggest anything for the surface repairs.  So relied on some hobby supplies.   Two types of epoxy putty (Tamiya and Green Stuff) and DAS modeling clay.  The latter is the orange areas seen in the above photo.   Hope it stands up to the elements as it can rejuvenate if exposed to water.

ruSX0RA.jpg

Above is the initial primer sprayed black and forest green,  products from Rust-Oleum brand.

DLCAg7J.jpg

iBxByC1.jpg

uHVqMph.jpg

The rest is painted in acrylics sourced from left over house paint and artist's paint in tube form.  Several coats of satin clear spray for protection.

regards,

Jack

• Like 10

Great restoration, and a fun subject too! 🙂

I did a restoration for a workmate a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. As it was a 'sizeable' resin casting, I used Milliput to remodel and reconstruct it, then just did a refurb of the paintwork where I'd repaired stuff.

spacer.png

His folks (who had it in their garden as a memento of a much loved family pet, until some thief tried to run off with it and dropped it!) were delighted to see it again. They hadn't known that he'd purloined it and given it to me to repair. A real 'Surprise, Surprise' moment.

Kev

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JackG said:

This is a cement statue my friend brought to me to have refurbished.   Originally was owned by his grandfather, then his parents until it fell into disarray. He stored it for a few years until now.

It was in pretty bad shape, not just the paint but the surface was pitted and chipped throughout.   The  larger areas were cemented over, particularly the base.  Together we poured a new one over the old utilizing a simple mould constructed from plywood.  This doubled the original thickness as well as adding a good inch or two around it.

CIzaEmX.jpg

The local hardware store could not suggest anything for the surface repairs.  So relied on some hobby supplies.   Two types of epoxy putty (Tamiya and Green Stuff) and DAS modeling clay.  The latter is the orange areas seen in the above photo.   Hope it stands up to the elements as it can rejuvenate if exposed to water.

ruSX0RA.jpg

Above is the initial primer sprayed black and forest green,  products from Rust-Oleum brand.

DLCAg7J.jpg

iBxByC1.jpg

uHVqMph.jpg

The rest is painted in acrylics sourced from left over house paint and artist's paint in tube form.  Several coats of satin clear spray for protection.

regards,

Jack

You have made it come up a treat,excellent work and it was worth saving,Cheers.

• Thanks 1