Junkers F-13 floatplane, unusual rudder

Hamiltonian

I know some floatplane versions of the Junkers F-13 came with expanded control surfaces, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything like this, which doesn't seem to be typical:

spacer.png

This is LN-ABH, flown by Norwegian aviator Gidsken Jakobsen in the early 1930s. There are a number of photographs of the aircraft at the Norsk Luftfartsmuseum - you can take a look at them at https://digitaltmuseum.no/search/?q=ln-abh&aq=owner%3F%3A"LMU"&o=0&n=176

One photo seems to show an "original" tail https://digitaltmuseum.no/021015697075/1-fly-pa-havoverflata-2-personer-sitter-pa-flyet-1-nordlandbat-ligger-ved

There are clear differences between rudder and tailplane, in texture and reflectivity, in other photos, and I'm wondering if this might be a custom job fitted locally, rather than a factory fitting. (Jakobsen once had the propeller repaired by a local blacksmith in Balestrand, so it seems she wasn't averse to a bit of make-do and mend.)

Since I suspect I'm going to have to scratch-build this thing, any information or opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a new, fabric-covered rudder has been designed and fitted. As the F-13 was out of production by this time (superseded by W33/34), I'm guessing it wasn't possible to obtain something appropriate from the Junkers factory.  

• Thanks 1

I think the rudder was replaced by a workshop ("home made") one of a bigger area then original one - here you have machine with original metal rudder (a smaller area one):

https://digitaltmuseum.no/021015697075/1-fly-pa-havoverflata-2-personer-sitter-pa-flyet-1-nordlandbat-ligger-ved

and on your photo there is home made replacement seen

Cheers

J-W

• Thanks 1

Thanks, both. Easier to scratch-build a frame-and-fabric part than a corrugated aluminium part!

Now all I need to do is lay my hands on some replacement ailerons - a couple of companies used to make them, but they seem to be rather scarce now.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been making my own corrugations for my Ju52/1m project, using liquid styrene (old sprues dissolved in liquid poly) to coat a mould made of silicone rubber which I pressed into the appropriate place on the kit. Seemed to work fairly well.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

The best single reference for the Ju F13 is “The world’s first all metal airliner; Junkers F13” by EAM Books. I can highly recommend it and am using it to help complete a collection of four F13s. Will post up when completed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

The best single reference for the Ju F13 is “The world’s first all metal airliner; Junkers F13” by EAM Books. I can highly recommend it and am using it to help complete a collection of four F13s. Will post up when completed.

Thanks for that. Looking forward to seeing your completed set.

I'm on hold at present, waiting for Master-X to produce some more F13 resin conversion sets, so that I can lay my hands on a set of extended ailerons (which I really don't fancy scratch building).

Hamiltonian, I know what you mean. Straight ailerons on the Revell kit just doesn’t look right. I’ve also used a 1/87 Roskopf kit and a couple of resin 1/72 ones (forget manufacturer at moment) - these ones have good ailerons - if not good pigeon holes ( look it up 😉) cheers Adrian ☺️

• Like 1

Straight ailerons are right for late F.13s but not for most.  Possibly larger wingspan:I found it difficult to get this straight from the otherwise excellent book cited above.  I was told that the Revell kit was based on the one in the Berlin Museum which unfortunately is a hybrid.  There have been conversion kits but the ones I could get all came with the Revell kit which I didn't need, so wouldn't help a lot.

• Thanks 1