Hasegawa Hawker Typhoon Aries/CMK landing gear bay questions

nsmekanik

I'm planning a build of the Hasegawa Hawker Typhoon and am thinking about adding some AM gear bays and was wondering what others have experienced with these Aries and CMK products so I can at least hazard a good guess as to whether or not it would be worth the expense/bother  to do so.

Tim

Tim,

Run fast, run far, far away from the Aires set. Mine was a solid 1/8” too short-inboard to outboard, not lead edge/trail edge-wise. Plus I ruined a kit grinding the upper wings thinner only to find out the above. I have a CMK set installed in another kit and they were literally a drop-fit with no grinding required, other than removal of the kit wheel wells of course. There is already a rectangular notch in the kit upper wing to fit over the molded-in kit wheel wells. I had to snip out a little bit more for the CMK set-that’s it! I know you didn’t ask about it, but stay away from the Cutting Edge set, too-not that you would attempt to find one, necessarily. I’ll dig out my kit, take some pics and post them here within the next couple of days. Just my opinion, but I’ve been there and done that!

Edited by TBC
  • Thanks 2

Thank you sir, I really do appreciate the reply. To be honest I'd never thought about the Cutting Edge set, but an Eduard etch set has an interesting approach to expanding the gear bay which would probably work in a pinch but buy the sounds of it the CMK set is the way to go. Looking forward to seeing your picks.

Cheers, Tim

18 hours ago, nsmekanik said:

I'm planning a build of the Hasegawa Hawker Typhoon and am thinking about adding some AM gear bays and was wondering what others have experienced with these Aries and CMK products so I can at least hazard a good guess as to whether or not it would be worth the expense/bother  to do so.

Tim

or....  you could make one,  or try, as the below shows, it's a pretty simple shape.   If you don't like your DIY efforts, then go CMK,  but unless displayed on a mirror,  this maybe a worth a go. 

On 04/11/2012 at 21:02, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Cheers Col,

just a teaser as to whats next....

file-57.jpg&key=cad3ac09b7dde9ed155f1d7d

Cheers

Jonners

pic from the above thread, which is worth a read

5 hours ago, TBC said:

Tim,

Run fast, run far, far away from the Aires set. Mine was a solid 1/8” too short-inboard to outboard, not lead edge/trail edge-wise. Plus I ruined a kit grinding the upper wings thinner only to find out the above. I have a CMK set installed in another kit and they were literally a drop-fit with no grinding required, other than removal of the kit wheel wells of course. There is already a rectangular notch in the kit upper wing to fit over the molded-in kit wheel wells. I had to snip out a little bit more for the CMK set-that’s it! I know you didn’t ask about it, but stay away from the Cutting Edge set, too-not that you would attempt to find one, necessarily. I’ll dig out my kit, take some pics and post them here within the next couple of days. Just my opinion, but I’ve been there and done that!

Very useful. 

What up with the Cutting Edge set?  I have it, came with a Typhoon package many years ago.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Troy, I did give that one a read, in fact it's post #9 there that inspired this thread, and I'm another one who hopes that at some point he is inspired to finish that one, but considering I'm just putting the finishing touches on a Tamiya 1/48 190 I started in 2006 I guess I can cut him some slack..... I could do the scratch building but at this point DIY is a bit of a mojo killer for me so I've decided to take the easy way out if it's not going to be to problematic, in which case I may add a few more things to the list of bits in which to invest.

Cheers, Tim

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nsmekanik said:

I could do the scratch building but at this point DIY is a bit of a mojo killer for me so I've decided to take the easy way out if it's not going to be to problematic,

It's a good question Tim, and got useful answers.   DIY is great, and bit of successful scratch building does make you feel better about your abilities,  but can be a rabbit hole, so I see where you are coming from. 

Please do a WIP if you go the CMK route, as it adds to the knowledge base....

cheers

T

Okay, here are some pics for you, Tim. First up, a couple of general shots of how they sit in the lower one-piece wing. As you can see the starboard side has some plastic square bar surrounding the resin wheel bay. Not really necessary for rigidity, but there anyways for additional support. Haven't done the port side yet. The only "extra" grinding that was done in the wheel bay area was to open up the 20mm cannon shell ejector chutes. When I removed the kit wheel wells I did not go any farther into the lower wing plastic other than what was necessary to remove the raised detail. I did not thin it out whatsoever.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Below is a shot directly overhead showing how they look from the underside.

spacer.png

Below is a couple of shots from different angles showing some detail. By looking at the edge of the kit wheel well you can see that I did not grind the lower wing thinner.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally, two pictures showing how I increased the size of the notched area on the inboard face of the upper wing parts. It doesn't look particularly aesthetic, but it's nothing that will be visible once the wings are glued on. The taped wings are not necessarily aligned in these pictures, nor are they forced together. The upper to lower wing fit is exactly as it was prior to removing the kits wheel wells. Sorry for the grainy pics as they were taken with my iPad as I currently don't have a proper photo booth operational, but I think these are sufficient for what I am attempting to depict. If I can be of any more assistance...........

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you TBC, for taking the time to post those up, I really do appreciate it. They sure do look like it will be worth the time and expense so CMK should pay you a commission as I will be picking up a set for sure. I think it would be nice to see more of your build too......no pressure though eh.

Troy I will most certainly run a WIP when I get going on it which will be a bit yet as I collect a pile of goodies for it. 

• Like 1

Absolutely worth the effort in my opinion if you want something better than kit-level detail. And the underside of the upper wings are untouched-I did not have to remove any plastic.

• Like 1