1/48 Print scale decals for gulf War Tornados

skuki

Hi, someone told me that these are bad, that only nose arts are OK and everything else is inaccurate. I believe that, but is it really for all GR.1, is there any Gr.1 that can be used from these decals. What exactly is inaccurate and what is the alternative for pink Gulf war Tornado?

one more q - why do kits world decals for those gulf war pink tornados state that they are gr4 and on the net the information is that they are gr1?

Thanks a lot

sorry I've posted this earlier in the wrong subforum

I do know why Kits world state the aircraft as GR1, because only the GR1 was used in the gulf as the GR4 did not exist at that time.

Check out dstorm.eu for decal options, I will also have a look when I get home, but I mostly model in 1/72, but do have some 1/48th Tornados to make for this time period.

I am not sure about the print scale decals, but again will have a look when I get home.

• Like 1

Having had a look through my decals all I have is the now defunct Model alliance sheet MA-48174 "Tornado at War", and the Almark decal sheets from that time period which are multi aircraft sheets. 

I have had a quick look at the Print Scale decals on Hannants web site, and to be honest I agree with the statement that you made about them. The nose art does look good, but the rest does seem a bit of fantasy what with the Ser No under the tailerons, plus a full load of stencils, which the aircraft did not have in the Gulf, only emergency  and mandatory markings. The Kits World decals do look a lot better, but still provide an almost full load of stencils. It is strange that Xtradecal did not up scale their decal sheets from 1/72 to 1/48.

As mentioned earlier dstorm.eu does have a comprehensive list of decal available for the Tornado GR1 from that time period, but the sheets are sometimes hard to find.

I hope that this had been of some help to you.

• Thanks 1

I'd agree the Kits World decals are the way to go, just leave off the 'No Step' stencils and the red fuselage stencils. The only stencils required are the ejection seat triangles, rescue arrow and the pink curved arrow denoting the angle of the tailerons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks a lot all... really useful information

I've ordered kits world decals and for now I think I have everything to make a gulf war bird!

In fact, the only thing that i'm missing are the lgb, I'll go for Reskit ones

Hi,

Own experience fom another sheet is that they are very fragile, difficult to handle and an extra gloss coat didn't help as much as I wished.

Does anyone know if Print Scale and Authentics Decals have any connection together? Latter has several interesting subjects for me but if they are similar quality than Print Scale I'll pass them...

Cheers,

AaCee