Fairey Seafox, HMS Asturias, 1942

This is my recently completed Fairey Seafox , L4526, 702 Sqn, FAA, HMS Asturias, 1942

Life started by using the dated Matchbox kit and was updated some what to include more detail:

• Cockpit deck added and seating positions corrected.
  • The observers pit was updated with black boxes, MG replaced with Miniworld option and mounted on a corrected mount.
  • Moulded-on landing lights removed and scratch clear options fitted.
  • Oil cooler replaced by scratch option.
  • Engine intakes hollowed out and scratch engines added.
  • Moulded-on exhausts removed and scratch options fitted.
  • Moulded-on venturi removed and resin option fitted.
  • Control horns and lines added to float rudders.
  • Flaps removed and fitted for 'landing'.

Colourcoats enamel paints used externally and painted in the 'Shadow Scheme'. Some kit decals were used but roundels and codes were Xtradecal. Rigging was Uschi line. All mounted on a sea base depicting 'touch-down'!

IMG-8446.jpg

IMG-8447.jpg

IMG-8448.jpg

IMG-8449.jpg

IMG-8450.jpg

IMG-8451.jpg

IMG-8452.jpg

IMG-8453.jpg

IMG-8454.jpg

Work in Progress here:

Thanks for looking.

Comments and critique welcome.

Stuart 

• Like 55

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Cracking display Stuart bet that rigging took its toll on your eyes  :hypnotised:

Cheers Beefy, not too taxing on the Mk 1's, do a few runs and the then rest, repeat.

8 hours ago, Baldy said:

Very sweet Stuart - a great result from the old and very basic Matchbox kit> Some lovely modelling shown in the WIP too. Great stuff!

Cheers Malcolm, you're very kind. I do try in my WiP's but I think they can be improved.

8 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Another cracking Seafox, both of them beautifully finished. I hope you don't mind me bookmarking your WIP for future reference.

Cheers John, bookmark away, I'm honoured.

8 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Sublime.

8 hours ago, invidia said:

Fantastic looking model 

Cheers guys.

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

So, you don't just do Sabres, Stuart? Wow- what a beautiful upgrade of the Matchbox kit, and the base is as good as the model. Well done👍

Cheers Mike. I have enjoyed the upgrading these Seafoxes, they are much improved and new techniques were learnt but still much to learn. As for the Sabres, not to far away will be a 1/72 Fighter-Bomber version. Not too sure if I'll do a WiP, is their an interest in another Sabre build, we'll see.

Stuart

• Like 1

Terrific little model.  I love the display base too.  Reminds me of a flight over Hobart in a Beaver floatplane a few years ago, the takeoff and landing were surprisingly smooth.  When taxiing the plane bobbed around just like a boat but at speed and up on the step it was probably smoother than a conventional land plane.

AW

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

not to far away will be a 1/72 Fighter-Bomber version

No. 2 Sq SAAF or 8th FBG? You can't go wrong either way! Stuart, there is no such thing as too many Sabre builds, or Mustangs, or Sptifires, or Canberras, or...(insert your favorite subject here)

Mike

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

This one:

Sweet! F-86F-30 of the 67th FBS, 18th FBG Going to be fun masking that nosecap to show the bare metal edging behind the red! 1,000lb bombs on the inboard pylons?

Mike

8 hours ago, pheonix said:

Another excellent build

6 hours ago, Hobo said:

Absolutely beautiful diorama. Love the old kits and thank you for the build report.

Cheers guys.

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Stuart - that is marvellous

Cheers Rob, don't see you on the dark side that often. Now these Seafoxes are finished, it'll be back to the maritime subjects of the ASRL and the tug.

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Going to be fun masking that nosecap to show the bare metal edging behind the red! 1,000lb bombs on the inboard pylons?

Don't put me off before I start Mike :rofl:. As for the bombs, I do like the lop-sided look with only the one bomb, so yes, a 1000lb'er it will be although I do have a couple of 500lb'ers if I change my mind.

Cheers chaps

Stuart

• Haha 1