Trumpy 1/48 C-47A Skytrain

Uncle Uncool

Hi there, fellas.

I'm currently building this kit, with which I'm very happy, but I'm stuck with the assembly of the engines; particularly some pieces in the D sprue which look like tiny U-shape tubes (part #D28). There're fourteen of them, so as the D sprue is comprised of most of the engine parts, I think the D28 parts ought to have to do with the engine cylinders? But I just don't know.

There's no mention on the instruction sheet where parts D28 are suposed to go. Here's the instruction on page 12:

spacer.png

Nice feature on those engines, supports, bulkheads, tanks and fittings.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Unc2

Unc,

Not my scale, but after looking at the sprue shots, and not being able to find a pdf of the kit instruction sheet, I am going to hazard a guess as to what part D28 is that you mentioned. Are these parts shown on the instruction sheet? If not, and seeing that there are fourteen of this part on Sprue D, I think they could be  part of the intake manifold. You would only be able to see what is attached to the front row of cylinders, and since the R-1830 is a 14-cylinder engine, you would only need seven of  part D28 for the front row of each engine. I have attached a link to a good photo of a preserved R-1830-92 on display at the National Air and Space  Museum, which is the same version fitted to C-47's, but other than that 'u' shaped rubber hose that connects the rocker arm housing between two adjacent cylinders, I have NO idea what those puppies on the sprue labeled D28 are! Any P&W A&P mechanics out there?

Mike

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/pratt-whitney-twin-wasp-r-1830-92-radial-engine

I was building the Hobbyboss 1/72nd scale `version' of this kit,...... I found the cockpit side windows to be totally the wrong shape and the engine nacelles very short,.....almost like they were covering single row Cyclone engines rather than Twin Wasps,...... it was bad enough for me to put the semi completed kit back in the box,.... is the 1/48th scale kit OK in these areas mate?

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Are these parts shown on the instruction sheet?

Well, Mike; they only appear on the Parts Content Summary, otherwise there's no mention on the instruction sheet whatsoever. In any page. I've just taken a (rather crappy) piccy of those D28 parts on the sprue so that you'd see how they look like. Check the crankcases on the right for a reference of size.

spacer.png

I think they could be  part of the intake manifold. You would only be able to see what is attached to the front row of cylinders, and since the R-1830 is a 14-cylinder engine, you would only need seven of  part D28 for the front row of each engine.

The instructions for the assembly of the engines are quite terrible; at first I thought these two holes on the top of each cylinder were to fit the tiny U-shaped tubes D28, but actually those are for the exhaust manifolds at the back of the cylinders.

spacer.png

I have attached a link to a good photo of a preserved R-1830-92 on display at the National Air and Space  Museum, which is the same version fitted to C-47's, but other than that 'u' shaped rubber hose that connects the rocker arm housing between two adjacent cylinders, I have NO idea what those puppies on the sprue labeled D28 are!

Thanks! I now think that the tiny U-shaped tubes in question could be these, but then no holes for these tiny parts on the front of the cylinders.

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, tonyot said:

is the 1/48th scale kit OK in these areas mate?

As far as the length of the nacelles are concerned, they are okay on the 1/48 scale kit. Each engine nacelle needs to cover the double row of cylinders plus the bulkhead. Dunno what to tell you with regard to the cockpit side windows. Might as well take some piccies for you to judge by yourself, Tony. They look okay to me. Very happy with this kit.

29 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

I don't see any D28 parts in the sheet you linked though.

Not at all, Fran. There’s no mention of them on any of the pages. See the place where now I think they should go. No instructions at all.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

I was building the Hobbyboss 1/72nd scale `version' of this kit,...... I found the cockpit side windows to be totally the wrong shape and the engine nacelles very short,.....almost like they were covering single row Cyclone engines rather than Twin Wasps,...... it was bad enough for me to put the semi completed kit back in the box,.... is the 1/48th scale kit OK in these areas mate?

Cheers

Tony

I have some sprue shots that show the fuselage side windows Tony, so you can judge the cockpit windows.

Uncle, I note I didn't even use the D28 parts either!

Bruce

• Like 1

It is many years since I built the Trumpeter DC3 and I have no recollection of parts D28. But, the biggest problem I have with the finished model is that the crankcase sticks out way beyond the cowling resulting in a large gap between the propeller and the cowling which just looks wrong. Many times I have investigated what went wrong and can find no way I could have done anything differently. because of this and the incorrect shape of the cowling, I think the Quickboost replacements is a good idea.

9 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

I have some sprue shots that show the fuselage side windows Tony, so you can judge the cockpit windows.

Bruce

Cheers Bruce,...... and wow,...... I`d forgotten just how good that model of yours was,..... that scheme is a beaut mate!! The 1/48th kit is different in a lot of ways,..... I can just see the kink in the cockpit side window on yours but it doesn`t look half as pronounced as the one in the 1/72nd kit looks to my eye,.... so maybe I`m over critical and I may get away with it after all. 

All the best buddy and cheers again,

Tony

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Bruce! Such a noooiiiceee build! Haven't you seen? I was wondering why there was no mention of those D28 parts on the entire instruction sheet. Some instructions tell you which parts are not to use, so they go right into the spare parts box, but these they appear to me that they did belong in the engines. :hmmm:

You could still attach them on your build, I think.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

8 hours ago, Gooney Fan said:

The most glaring error on the Trumpeter C-47 is the non-tapering engine cowlings.

It is necessary to obtain a set of Quickboost replacements

Gooney, hi! What about those in the Monogram kit? Y'know I still have got that kit in the stash. Yeh, I love the C-47s.

5 hours ago, chillaton said:

It is many years since I built the Trumpeter DC3 and I have no recollection of parts D28. But, the biggest problem I have with the finished model is that the crankcase sticks out way beyond the cowling resulting in a large gap between the propeller and the cowling which just looks wrong. 

No way! :lol: Trumpy ought to be told about this omission in the instruction sheet, I guess.

I will have to look into the crankcase sticking out beyond the cowling; compare how it is in the Monogram kit, perhaps.

Cheers all,

Unc2

• Thanks 1

Hello

I also have 4 Monogram kits.

The problem there is the cowlings don't fit over the Trumpeter engines without reducing the diameter of the engine, which is why Quickboost do their correction.

It all depends on whether you intend to display the engines !!

Hello again.

Try studying the "Plane Savers" series which was available on YouTube earlier this year.

Episode 7 has a short video illustrating a full size engine prior to being fitted to a Dakota that was returned to airworthiness.

I hope it answers your question

Gooney Fan