Sukhoi Su-7 BMK Indian Air Force 1982 - Eduard -1:48

Hi mates,

I would like to participate to my first GB making an Indian Air Force (Bharatiya Vayu Sena) Sukhoi Su-7BMK from the No.32 "Killers" Squadron in 1982.

This particular plane was named "Tommy" and wears red/white quick identification tail stripes for war game. (cit. Yefim Gordon, Aerofax Su-7 Pag. 141)

NskCm5zl.jpg

If  interested you can found a complete documentation about Su-7 operational use in Indian air force here: Bharat-rakshak.com

A quick look inside the box:

spdGb67l.jpg

This kit is an Eduard reboxing (2010) of an old Kopro Kit, the model is molded in light gray styrene and presented on four parts trees, plus an addition tree of clear parts.

In addiction we have two photo-etched parts including one featuring their color printing, one set of yellow tape masks, one set of resin parts, and a nice set of marking options.

6bJjud6l.jpg

PkHp0OPl.jpg

qaXlvZDl.jpg

IFtieYql.jpg

cBfpdPpl.jpg

pHaUby5l.jpg

Edited by Rod The Fixer
  • Like 9

This really is an excellent choice.

We couldn't really have an Asia GB and not have something representing India could we? And the fact that it's an Su-7 just makes it even better as this is one of my favourite Cold War aircraft, a real brute that could withstand a great deal of punishment.

I have the original Kopro kit which also come with Indian markings (not that I would like to try and use them) and the Eduard boxing you have has all the goodies that you need to bring this kit up to modern standards.

I am really looking forward to seeing this one come together and I'm sure there will be plenty of others who will be watching too.

Welcome to the GB.

Craig.

This is the situation after the assembling the fuselage and the wings and  after a coat of primer to check imperfections :

9LFKIr4l.jpg

lGcZ5QIl.jpg

g6A0nAJl.jpg

Y1GwA6Bl.jpg

vd285ril.jpg

iXn9xMTl.jpg

I need your opinion about the the correct assembly of the jet exhaust , Thanks in advance 😉

• Like 2

The cockpit looks great and sits very nicely in the fuselage.

I see what you mean about the tail planes and am sure your sanding will have sorted it out.

You really have got the aircraft together very quickly and she looks great.

I am not sure what you mean about the exhaust, can you explain a bit more?

Nice choice for this build, I've only just found the thread.

I've built a couple of these from their initial release from OZE in a previous GB.

The Master Model Brass bits are a must, the kit ones, even though they're from Eduard, are pretty poor!

The elevators are an issue as you have found, and do take a bit of work to correct. In my build I show how I corrected them. Plus if you have the chance and time (it may be a bit late now by the looks of it), those wing fences really need to be replaced, they are way too think. Some thin brass sheet or plastic will make a huge improvement.

The undercarriage is poorly done as well and it may give you some issues, best is to drill out all the mounting points and put plastic pins in them. It'll make setting up the correct stance so much easier later on.

There is some detail missing from the exhaust as well.

But you've made a great start, I really enjoyed building this model, lots of fun. I'm currently on my 4th Fitter, the Su-7's big brother, the Su-22M4, plus i still have one to go in the stash, another Su-17/22. These models maybe getting a bit old but they are so much fun to build.

Keep up the great work!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nice choice for this build, I've only just found the thread.

I've built a couple of these from their initial release from OZE in a previous GB.

The Master Model Brass bits are a must, the kit ones, even though they're from Eduard, are pretty poor!

The elevators are an issue as you have found, and do take a bit of work to correct. In my build I show how I corrected them. Plus if you have the chance and time (it may be a bit late now by the looks of it), those wing fences really need to be replaced, they are way too think. Some thin brass sheet or plastic will make a huge improvement.

The undercarriage is poorly done as well and it may give you some issues, best is to drill out all the mounting points and put plastic pins in them. It'll make setting up the correct stance so much easier later on.

There is some detail missing from the exhaust as well.

But you've made a great start, I really enjoyed building this model, lots of fun. I'm currently on my 4th Fitter, the Su-7's big brother, the Su-22M4, plus i still have one to go in the stash, another Su-17/22. These models maybe getting a bit old but they are so much fun to build.

Keep up the great work!!! :thumbsup:

thanks for your advice Rich :winkgrin:

I had my trouble to assemble the   Kitty Hawk Su-35s and I was hoping to work less to assemble this kit ...

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The cockpit looks great and sits very nicely in the fuselage.

I see what you mean about the tail planes and am sure your sanding will have sorted it out.

You really have got the aircraft together very quickly and she looks great.

I am not sure what you mean about the exhaust, can you explain a bit more?

The exhaust looks very poor and I would like some tips to improve it

0kXr7Blm.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rod The Fixer said:

The exhaust looks very poor and I would like some tips to improve it

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QMTR48017

which look like it can be retrofitted...

or considerably more expensive...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RSU48-0018

HTH

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

nice work on the wheel wells as they quite bare on the models.

I't a bit late now to correct but the fuselage side of the wheels isn't  a square flat unit, it's actually a continuation of the fuselage curve with rounded section in it for the wheel. Actually it is quite a bit of work to correct for something 99% of people won't notice......I include myself in that 1% of odd people! :D

I do like this build though, it reminds me of how much fun I had building mine.

• Like 1

that shape is much better, though the floor of the wheel wells is flat and without the lip to the fuselage.

But I have noticed something really odd and I had to go off and check my references. I had completely forgotten (and didn't notice in the sprue shot), the there are 2 sets of lower wings for the 2 versions. The BKL's had the skids fitted to the outside of the main gear and so needed bulged doors to fit them and fairings on wings and fuselage, the BMK's didn't have the skids so the doors were smooth with the wing/fuselage so no fairings were needed on the wings or fuselage.

You have the correct lower wing parts for a BMK but you also need to completely remove that faired section on the fuselage. Page 4 in the instructions shows it, but it is poorly shown and very easy to forget. I should have spotted this in the pervious photos you posted.

arr that was the photo I had been looking for. It shouldn't be too hard to correct as you had the rest of the fuselage as a guide. The only thing I'm not sure is how thick the plastic is there.