This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Jonny

Inexpensive vacforming machine

Apologies to everyone if this is in the wrong forum!  Happy if Mods move it.

Anyway, browsing eBay UK the other day I came across a “Dental Vacuum Forming Molding JT Heat Vacuum Thermoforming Former 220V” [sic] for £96.50, free postage.  There are several other would-be vendors but this one was the cheapest.  The thing has a (approximately) 4 inch (10.5cm) square bed.  It’s obvious it’s intended for dental work but it looks as though it’d accept fairly small Modelling components as well.

Any opinions, anyone (from the UK preferred but any and all gratefully received).  

This is is one of those tools that from time to time I wish I’d got but right now I can’t think of a real need for!

Jonny

I have one. 

I use it regularly for vac forming canopies. 

If I cannot buy a ready-made replacement canopy I use this former to make the canopy.

I have some 3mm MDF panels cut to the 4" size with a large hole in the centre. I cut a piece of clear packaging larger than the hole but which is big enough for the canopy. I staple this to the board. That way I don't need 4" squares of clear plastic. Once running it only takes a few minutes to make a few canopies.

I also have one of them, very useful for small parts. I build 43rd scale Cars and the clear Vac forms for the windscreens are quite often yellowed with age, it's fairly simple to recast them with new clear sheet.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks for your helpful replies, Black Knight and Stu-davros.

It's so very tempting to buy one of these.  I’ve blown my eBay budget this month, having bought a lens for my camera. Hopefully the ‘cheap’ one will still be available in September.

Jonny