Airfix Valiant Prototype WB215

Adam Poultney

For WB215, I have seen photos where she had intake grills like WB210, the first prototype, had (but on the wider style intake). Some photos seem to be missing it, but I can't quite tell. Can anyone confirm if it was removed? The Airfix kit does not include an intake grill of any sort. 

https://www.airteamimages.com/vickers-valiant_WB215_united-kingdom---royal-air-force_115157.html

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/vickers-valiant

When I did my model of WB210 I kept finding photos of WB215 and like you wondered about the intake vanes. From what I remember it had them nearly all the time whilst it was in the polished metal scheme and then lost them before it was painted silver. I think it comes down to whether you want to do the polished or painted scheme and go to the trouble of making the vanes! I also think there needed to be a few changes made to make '215 from the kit but only details - one noticeable thing is the main gear doors/bays were the same as '210. 

WB215 in the polished metal scheme but without the vanes - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAF-VICKERS-667-VALIANT-PROTOTYPE-WB215-ORIGINAL-VICKERS-STAMPED-PHOTO-5x9-8-/382670809596?nma=true&si=MNVj0eVZXuPEAIQvsveBg15UIY8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritJet said:

When I did my model of WB210 I kept finding photos of WB215 and like you wondered about the intake vanes. From what I remember it had them nearly all the time whilst it was in the polished metal scheme and then lost them before it was painted silver. I think it comes down to whether you want to do the polished or painted scheme and go to the trouble of making the vanes! I also think there needed to be a few changes made to make '215 from the kit but only details - one noticeable thing is the main gear doors/bays were the same as '210. 

WB215 in the polished metal scheme but without the vanes - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAF-VICKERS-667-VALIANT-PROTOTYPE-WB215-ORIGINAL-VICKERS-STAMPED-PHOTO-5x9-8-/382670809596?nma=true&si=MNVj0eVZXuPEAIQvsveBg15UIY8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Steve

So it shouldn't be too bad to build then. You made a mold of the original wheel wells right?

Yeah that is a small technical hitch in the grand scheme! I've not seen one for a while and they tend to go for silly prices eBay. Hopefully you can get one at a decent price.

Steve

I was lucky to get one earlier this year, it's about 85% complete in WIP, and painted in white.

I'm thinking about this as a second one. During the build I kinda warmed to the idea of doing one in silver.

Really wish they would reissue the kit... Preferably with new schemes. XD818 as she is now would be nice, regular white with black and grey nose, a Silver B1 (WZ serial maybe), and a camo aircraft (XD818 again?) would be my choice of schemes.

I picked up three when it first came out to do the proto, a B1 and the B2. They certainly disappeared from sale very quickly and I'm surprised it hasn't been re-issued. Should make financial sense for Airfix to re-issue it as there wouldn't be any large up-front cost for them compared with a new kit and it's been 7-8 years since the original release.

Steve

I wasn't even building models until about when it went out if production around late 2014. 

I guess it just didn't sell well enough seeing as the price went so low at the end of production. Maybe if they reissued for ~£35 then it would sell well.

Other thing is it's from that early bit of new Airfix when detail was fairly bland especially in the cockpit, and before LiDAR scanning. The kit has a number of inacuracies, but it's the best we have in the scale, even in any scale, for the Valiant.

Airfix went through a stage of heavily discounting their kits after they'd been on sale for a while which really annoyed the model shops. Whilst it was good for us to get a bargain, it really wasn't a good way to do business and they suffered for it. it does look simplified in the cockpit but to be fair most of what is there can't be seen anyway - I don't get the current trend of doing lots of interior parts, such as in the Shackleton or Wellington. I'd much rather they didn't bother with most of it and lowered the price. If it's visible then fair enough but I'd be likely to leave most of the parts out if you can't see them.

It's not a bad kit and as you say it's the best we have - having built the old Contrail vacform I can say it is miles better than what used to be available even with the inaccuracies.

• Like 1