A Pfair of Pfalz - Pfinished!

I have finally finished the pair of Pfalzen. The first, an ICM E.IV was built a few years ago and got damaged during my relocation. I decided that the restoration would be more interesting if I took the AZ Models E.I out of the stash and built that alongside it, so that's what I did. They are both 1:72 scale, and both heavily modified from the basic kit. The E.I has scratchbuilt wings and tail surfaces, while the E.IV's are heavily modified kit parts, and both have scratchbuilt undercarriage. Part PE was used for the E.IV guns and the E.I has a MiniWorld gun.

Here's the build log for anyone interested.

Before the war, Pfalz had obtained a licence to built Morane-Saulniers, and that's what they continued to do after the war broke out. (It is said they made good on every penny they owed M-S after the war!). So all the early Pfalz aircraft were basically Moranes, and that is what they were called by the German pilots who flew them. They were also called "flying death notices", due not just to their black outlined wings and fuselages, but also because they were regarded as "difficult" and the early models suffered quite a few tailplane structural failures, many with fatal consequences. The E.I had an 80hp Oberursel U.0 rotary engine and the various models following that basically had bigger engines and wings, to the E.IV which had a 160hp Oberursel U.III engine. There were a few E.Vs with in line engines but that was basically it as Pfalz had not put any effort into designing their own aircraft and by mid 1916 the old M-S design was well outdated. The company continued on building aircraft under licence from other manufacturers (Roland for example) but they did not build their own aircraft again until the D.III came into service in 1917.

The E.I depicted here served in Vilna (Vilnius, Lithuania). The serial number on the fuselage is correct as per photos, at least on the port side. I'm not sure if the way I have shown it on the right side is correct as I had to move the cross forward slightly. It would make more sense to have the "/15" in front of the cross, but who knows whether it was or not.

The E.IV depicts an aircraft flown by Rudolf Bertholt whilst with Kampfeinsitzer (literally battle single-seater) Kommando, Vaux, based in Vaux, on the Somme, France in April 1916. He suffered serious injuries when the Pfalz reputation caught up with him and he spun it in from 100 metres. He survived that, and quite a few other injuries received during the war, only to be killed in political street fighting in Hamburg in 1920. He was so badly beaten he couldn't be identified physically. I guess that's what you get when the civilians you're shooting at catch you!

Anyway, here they are...

48528266642_7918ed78f8_z.jpg

48528112891_29cae388e8_z.jpg

48528112751_20e84cbdcf_z.jpg

48528266452_522b57518c_z.jpg

48528266317_5d99e2a08b_z.jpg

48528112001_ac856f56bb_z.jpg

48528112511_f2edee9d72_z.jpg

48528112316_ecb09fd2d7_z.jpg

48528112256_cd1dbf4fec_z.jpg

48528265987_460e5d51a4_z.jpg

48528112016_b0a8f79cc2_z.jpg

48528111791_d259b107eb_z.jpg

They look quite comfortable next to each other in the cabinet!

48528265447_f66b9c3c5d_z.jpg

I hope you like them!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Not my bread and butter, but those two look like two mean machines! Excellent job, and what a collection! :worthy: :clap:

I can't believe these are 1/72 :frantic:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Beautiful... two clean, sharp looking finishes.  Very well done, especially given the small scale of the kits... ;-)

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, much appreciated!

11 hours ago, pheonix said:

A very interesting build log and a super pair of models as a result.  Now how about the Ilya Mouremets? Cna't wait to see that one finished!

P

I'm starting on clearing the backlog. First the Heinkel, then the Fairey Battle, then the Muromets. It's coming......

Ian

• Like 2

Pflippin' heck, pfanbloomingtastic. Struggling with the whole 'they're 1/72' thing; super modelling, SUPERB rigging...

...but, hang on, that Bristol sitting just above the E IV. I need to see that close up; soooo gorgeous!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Pflippin' heck, pfanbloomingtastic. Struggling with the whole 'they're 1/72' thing; super modelling, SUPERB rigging...

...but, hang on, that Bristol sitting just above the E IV. I need to see that close up; soooo gorgeous!!

Thanks Newb! Here's a link to the Bristol.

Ian

Superb looking pair of Pfalzen! Interesting backstory too. Detailing and paint look exquisite, especially considering the scale. I like the set up in the display cabinet as well. 

I had a look at the WiP - hereby recommended because of its informative value!  

Jay

• Like 1