Airfix 1/72nd Bristol Blenheim MkIV

48526526611_ca3d8353a0_b.jpg

Because of the way Airfix make and sell their kits these days, and because I’m old school enough to believe a kit will hang around the market for a long time, I missed the original release of the Blenheim MkIV in bomber form. Actually, I’m not sure I did, but never mind. I did the same with the MkIF. I missed it entirely, and by the time I bought a box it was branded as the bomber. 

48526682192_56221d5f29_b.jpg

48526681807_12a5e8e34e_b.jpg

Happily, all the parts needed for either a fighter or bomber were in the box, whichever version you bought. So, this rather convoluted introduction is by way of explaining why I’m building a MkIV as a bomber, but using a MkIVF boxing. Oh, and spare parts and the instructions from the MkI. It’ll probably become clear later. 

Don't expect this build to be quick. I’m only posting this now as a distraction from "proper" work, and it’ll act as a holding thread until I get started properly.

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs

ROYAL AIR FORCE BOMBER COMMAND, 1939-1941.. © IWM (CH 364) IWM Non Commercial License

This photo of R3600 getting some TLC from her ground crew is my inspiration. The plane is in the standard mid- to late-1940 camouflage and markings. It has the early type of Fraser Nash FN.54 blister nose gun, and a terrier on the engine cowling. Apart from dog and ground crew, I have sufficient bits of set decoration in the form of vehicles and ordnance that I could have a stab at recreating something like this scene at a scale of 1/72nd.

I don’t intend this thread to be a blow-by-blow account. This kit, in most of its variants, has been done to death by now. Instead, I shall cover things of interest, and anything that crops up along the way. Fairly obviously I shall need to source suitable markings, and I may hack some parts about to open the various hatches atop the plane. Otherwise, this will be a straightforward build which will add a Blenheim to my 1940 Bomber Command fleet.

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Like 20

Just a quick note for modellers,  the bomb doors on Blenheims  were held closed by bungee cords and on release the bombs just fell through the doors.  Because of this if you loaded small bomb containers you had to remove the bomb bay doors  as the  small bombs/or incendiary bombs were not always heavy  enough to pop the doors open against the spring pressure.

The picture above is obviously staged for the photographer as you  couldn't load bombs and SBC's together for that reason.

Selwyn

• Like 4

On 13/08/2019 at 20:33, Selwyn said:

the bomb doors on Blenheims  were held closed by bungee cords

Good fact, thank you. I presume the cord was unhitched to let the doors hang open while bombing up? It also answers the question as to why planes often flew with no bomb bay doors in North Africa.

I’ve generally been out of sorts this past week, and also been concentrating on paying work, but I got most of the basic construction done. This is my second MkIV, and my third Blenheim altogether from the variety of kits with which Airfix have graced us, so I know most of the likely problems. 

48558371426_36941cef6c_b.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bristol Blenheim by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

The fuselage went together without fuss. The seams needed a little tidying, down to my own fault, but the only filler so far has been a tiny smear at the upper wing roots. I spent a bit of time fiddling about with the cockpit fittings, but aside from seat belts from random PE in my spares box and masking tape it is as the designers intended. 

48558371011_b9868fc297_b.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bristol Blenheim by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

Of course, when you’re busy working with bits, and with an Ashes test match burbling away in the background, you tend to forget to take the progress photos. Suddenly, the transparencies are fitted and we are nearly ready to make some masking for it. The nose section isn’t fitted at this point, just posed in place. Again, being distracted by Steve Smith getting some nasty bowling from Jofra Archer, I forgot to retouch some paint damage before the transparencies went on. It won’t show.

I'll let glue set. I might leave masking until later in the day. Making custom masks by hand needs a certain mood. I did consider commercial masks, but they all seem to be those vinyl things that I’m not keen on. I suppose I could crack on with the engines.

Edited by Heather Kay
Missed something out.
  • Like 16

How do you recommend adding the nose? As a complete assembly, or bit by bit to ensure minimal gaps/steps?

I have the Mk IF in the stash.

Ian

Well, I’ve followed the destructions where the nose is assembled separately and then plugged into the fuselage on all three builds. It does work, but relies on the glazing giving the nose some rigidity. You just need to be aware of potential fit issues and do some dry fitting before committing to solvent. 

I did ponder fitting the lower nose to the fuselage before the transparencies. It might be possible, but the way the transparencies are split up would make it a little fiddly to install the side cheeks with the pilot seat in place. Keeping the nose aligned without the transparencies would be fiddly, too.

I will do some pics. Hang on...

48558953127_8c13131b99_b.jpg

48558952582_a8dd20dc88_b.jpg

Just holding the nose assembly in place, it needs a little pressure to make the best joint with the fuselage. Underneath it’s all a bit gappier, as there are three sections that make up the bomb bay. Nothing a little filler won’t deal with, though.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Good fact, thank you. I presume the cord was unhitched to let the doors hang open while bombing up? It also answers the question as to why planes often flew with no bomb bay doors in North Africa.

I’ve generally been out of sorts this past week, and also been concentrating on paying work, but I got most of the basic construction done. This is my second MkIV, and my third Blenheim altogether from the variety of kits with which Airfix have graced us, so I know most of the likely problems. 

48558371426_36941cef6c_b.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bristol Blenheim by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

The fuselage went together without fuss. The seams needed a little tidying, down to my own fault, but the only filler so far has been a tiny smear at the upper wing roots. I spent a bit of time fiddling about with the cockpit fittings, but aside from seat belts from random PE in my spares box and masking tape it is as the designers intended. 

48558371011_b9868fc297_b.jpgAirfix 1/72 Bristol Blenheim by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

Of course, when you’re busy working with bits, and with an Ashes test match burbling away in the background, you tend to forget to take the progress photos. Suddenly, the transparencies are fitted and we are nearly ready to make some masking for it. The nose section isn’t fitted at this point, just posed in place. Again, being distracted by Steve Smith getting some nasty bowling from Jofra Archer, I forgot to retouch some paint damage before the transparencies went on. It won’t show.

I'll let glue set. I might leave masking until later in the day. Making custom masks by hand needs a certain mood. I did consider commercial masks, but they all seem to be those vinyl things that I’m not keen on. I suppose I could crack on with the engines.

I have some images of the Blenheim bomb bays I could share if you would like?

Selwyn

1 minute ago, Selwyn said:

I have some images of the Blenheim bomb bays I could share if you would like?

Ooh, yes please! I’m still considering the bay being open for this model. I seem to do it with every bomber build I do st the moment, as it makes for interesting diorama photography.

2 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

If you  send me you e mail on a personal message I will get them to you.

No problem. I assume copyright and so on prevents you sharing publicly, which is fine. 👍

7 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

No problem. I assume copyright and so on prevents you sharing publicly, which is fine. 👍

Yes that's correct.  There should be 11 images if not let me know! if you  need any explanations  i can help if I can.

Selwyn

• Like 1

How time flies when we're having fun.

48600648176_abc81c9a92_b.jpg

Whilst attempting, and failing, to keep Muttley (my untameable "black dog") at bay, this blighter finally got completed and photographed. With the bank holiday weekend, I decided to do some basic maintenance work round the house first thing, then settled in at the bench for a spell with the Blenheim.

48611583296_c1f1fd78bd_b.jpg

I also managed a couple of spells over the week. The Perspex FN54 "annoyer" was put together, and has since been masked up prior to being glued under the nose. I also assembled the engines and cowling covers. I did say I wasn’t going to do a blow-by-blow thread, so nothing to see here!

48611228503_f41683d15b_b.jpg

The undercarriage was installed. I’m yet to figure out how to mask it sensibly. I’ve been toying with brush painting this model, but I’ve ended up masking the transparencies anyway.

48611739327_7e99dac26e_b.jpg

Control surfaces and tail bits fitted.

48611583206_91c00f4cdd_b.jpg

While England desperately tried to retain any credibility in the third Ashes test, I spent a happy hour or two masking this. I had looked at the possibility of buying in a masking set. The only one I could find was a vinyl affair, and I’m not convinced by them. My one experience with a vinyl set proved curved surfaces defeated them, and curves are a signature of the Blenheim MkIV nose, so I’d rather have a slightly iffy hand-cut mask. Still to do the turret glazing.

Next up, I will fix the nose to the fuselage and make good any slight gaps. A shot of primer will happen soon.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

How time flies when we're having fun.

48600648176_abc81c9a92_b.jpg

Whilst attempting, and failing, to keep Muttley (my untameable "black dog") at bay, this blighter finally got completed and photographed. With the bank holiday weekend, I decided to do some basic maintenance work round the house first thing, then settled in at the bench for a spell with the Blenheim.

48611583296_c1f1fd78bd_b.jpg

I also managed a couple of spells over the week. The Perspex FN54 "annoyer" was put together, and has since been masked up prior to being glued under the nose. I also assembled the engines and cowling covers. I did say I wasn’t going to do a blow-by-blow thread, so nothing to see here!

48611228503_f41683d15b_b.jpg

The undercarriage was installed. I’m yet to figure out how to mask it sensibly. I’ve been toying with brush painting this model, but I’ve ended up masking the transparencies anyway.

48611739327_7e99dac26e_b.jpg

Control surfaces and tail bits fitted.

48611583206_91c00f4cdd_b.jpg

While England desperately tried to retain any credibility in the third Ashes test, I spent a happy hour or two masking this. I had looked at the possibility of buying in a masking set. The only one I could find was a vinyl affair, and I’m not convinced by them. My one experience with a vinyl set proved curved surfaces defeated them, and curves are a signature of the Blenheim MkIV nose, so I’d rather have a slightly iffy hand-cut mask. Still to do the turret glazing.

Next up, I will fix the nose to the fuselage and make good any slight gaps. A shot of primer will happen soon.

You will have a disappointment with your FN54 turret,  mainly because its not a FN54,  its a Beaufort under nose gun mounting!

The FN 54 was the twin mounting specially made for Blenheim. The Beaufort installation was a quick fix until the FN54 became available.

Selwyn

(With his pedantic head on today!)

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

(With his pedantic head on today!)

Pedant away!

I guess I ought to refer to it as the early "emergency" version. My references call the later metal twin-gun affair as the FN54A, and the earlier one as just FN54. References can be wrong, of course.

I ought to note I’ve also ignored the teardrop window for the pilot. I know there is a conversion kit available, but I am content to go with the flat version in the box.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Pedant away!

I guess I ought to refer to it as the early "emergency" version. My references call the later metal twin-gun affair as the FN54A, and the earlier one as just FN54. References can be wrong, of course.

I ought to note I’ve also ignored the teardrop window for the pilot. I know there is a conversion kit available, but I am content to go with the flat version in the box.

It was designed for the Beaufort and was located in the nose emergency escape hatch opening, and you had to jettison it to jump!  The Blenheim IV escape hatch was the same dimensions as the Beaufort so it was a quick fix. The FN54 was further developed into the FN64 which was the little used Lancaster under fuselage turret. the mounting of which became the H2S mounting.

Selwyn

• Like 1

A bit more fiddling about.

48613161311_51e0a93a05_b.jpg

48612808523_ef1f2ac5a4_b.jpg

48612808293_78bd99592b_b.jpg

48613160586_e2f4348edb_b.jpg

The schnozz went on without much pain. I pushed it into place, and ran some liquid cement along the join, then applied finger pressure to keep the gaps as small as possible. The pitot was glued on, but I expect it to ping off again before I’m done. The chin gun mounting was glued on. I remembered to fit the infinitesimal pilot's gun sight, and I pinned the radio antenna mast with some fine brass wire. I don’t like butt joints, and it surprised me Airfix doesn’t provide a positive location point for the mast.

I have decided to install the bomb load and have the doors open, so the ordnance has been made up. The turret has been masked with Maskol, and is being brush painted. A single gun is in place.

I will fit the bay doors, and sort out some masking for the bay itself. A squirt of primer tomorrow, and then I’ll decide whether to go through the faff of airbrushing the airframe camo colours.

• Like 10

I am going with the hairy stick. 

48617225292_b7f8ded39d_b.jpg

48616727223_2d0613106f_b.jpg

I am no expert, and I’m using probably the worst acrylics for brushing, but I find the process quite therapeutic. For this model, I’m using Xtracrylix, and I work with Hannants' own thinners to allow a quick and thin brush coat with a soft wide brush. I don’t attempt to get a good coat the first time, aiming instead for several thin coats. The thinned paint minimises the brush marks, and it dries quickly enough that a second and third coat can be done in a single session.

Anyway, sky underneath, dark earth on top, and I’ll try and do the green camo splodges a bit later.

• Like 12

Looks great! Airfix have come a long way with transparencies since their first crack at the Blenheim IV...

I generally get on with brush painting acrylics, but my one experience with Xtracrylics on a Phantom build wasn’t too happy - it got very draggy. But your first coat looks sound and I expect you will need fewer coats than you do with with trainer yellow :)

Gorgeous loco by the way - are you really giving them up for coaches?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

But your first coat looks sound and I expect you will need fewer coats than you do with with trainer yellow :)

Gorgeous loco by the way - are you really giving them up for coaches?

The photos show about four coats all told. The density gets about right by the third coat. I was mid-way through the green bit when Headingley went ballistic. 🤯 I had to stop and put the brush down, and then go and do something else while Stokes and Leach saved the third test and kept England's hopes of winning the Ashes alive. Amazing cricket. Amazing.

I don’t enjoy locos. It’s the mechanics and making the beggars go that I find most stressful. Making the things look pretty is fine, it’s all the waggly and whirly bits that do my nut. Coaches are much more satisfying.

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finally managed to complete the camo, after all the cricket shenanigans.

48617908588_427045db96_b.jpg

My problem now is I don’t think I can make up all the markings I want for No 40 Squadron. Trust me to choose a slightly non-standard marking scheme! I’ll have to do some digging round and see if there’s a suitable decal set somewhere. I’m due an order of some bits and pieces from Hannants, so I’ll start there.

• Like 9